Where To Find Thai Stuffed Chicken Wings In Pattaya?

Jingthing

Maybe an email to the food critics that write for the various local newspapers or magazines would help with your search...

In my view, there are no food critics in Pattaya. Only shills.

I don't disagree, and you may also feel that there are no good hairdressers in Pattaya, but I'm not sure that asking one if they happen to have seen a particular shampoo that you like counts as an endorsement of their capabilities...

They are popular because most Americans don't know what else to order at the local "thai" restaurant. You can open a "thai" restaurant in america with only pad thai, thai basil chicken, Tom yum goong, stuffed chicken and some random curry. It's like going to a Chinese restaurant and ordering orange chicken or general tso's chicken.

They are popular because most Americans don't know what else to order at the local "thai" restaurant. You can open a "thai" restaurant in america with only pad thai, thai basil chicken, Tom yum goong, stuffed chicken and some random curry. It's like going to a Chinese restaurant and ordering orange chicken or general tso's chicken.

You're right about the pad Thai and those Chinese dishes. In my opinion, you're wrong about the stuffed chicken wings as that's a more interesting dish. Also even though you can find the dish in many Thai restaurants in America, it isn't even remotely as pervasive as pad Thai. Edited by Jingthing

You're right about the pad Thai and those Chinese dishes. In my opinion, you're wrong about the stuffed chicken wings as that's a more interesting dish. Also even though you can find the dish in many Thai restaurants in America, it isn't even remotely as pervasive as pad Thai.

I have to agree with JT. I have eaten at many Thai restaurants and never heard of this dish till JT started this thread. I'm the type to also look around to see what other diners are eating and what is coming out of the kitchen. If I see something that looks interesting to me I ask about it. I don't ever remember seeing these. Stuff like satay is the classic american Thai appetizer.

^^^^^^^,

"Stuff like satay is the classic american Thai appetizer."

Therein lies the problem for many visiting Thailand for the first time, they assume whats sold in Thai restaurants overseas is typical of Thai cuisine.

Meisgq has pretty much got it spot on.

There is also a misconception that satay is a Thai dish, most people who have travelled in Asia would be aware its more of an Indonesian dish also popular in Singapore and Malayasia.

There are many places I have been to in Thailand where this isnt even on the menu, more of a street food, much like that other Thai classic, som tam, you never see it on the menu in upmarket restaurants or hotels.

Edited by rgs2001uk

^^^^^^^,

Therein lies the problem for many visiting Thailand for the first time, they assume whats sold in Thai restaurants overseas is typical of Thai cuisine.

There is also a misconception that satay is a Thai dish, most people who have travelled in Asia would be aware its more of an Indonesian dish also popular in Singapore and Malayasia.

There are many places I have been to in Thailand where this isnt even on the menu, more of a street food, much like that other Thai classic, som tam, you never see it on the menu in upmarket restaurants or hotels.

I'm sorry, where in lies what problem? Satay is Thai food. Whether it's roots are from other countries in the region or not. It's still sold throughout Thailand in many street stalls. Even up in the country where there are few (if any) westerners. It's a Thai dish indeed. I enjoy it and my wife makes it frequently at home for us. Much better than any street stall variety as she makes sure the starting ingredients are grade A.

• Like 1

Obviously when an "ethnic" cuisine is imported into a foreign country, some dishes will be emphasized and some won't be based on national tastes and random accidents of what works commercially and what doesn't. I haven't lived in the US for a long time now, but I while I was never saw Gaeng Som on any menu, including at places popular with Thais. Sometimes what happens in translation is really funny, like American fried rice in Thailand, something not found in America. If we're going to anal about food origins (rather not), Pad Thai isn't purely Thai either, it's a Thai version of CHINESE noodles.

Edited by Jingthing

^^^^^^^,

I'm sorry, where in lies what problem? Satay is Thai food. Whether it's roots are from other countries in the region or not. It's still sold throughout Thailand in many street stalls. Even up in the country where there are few (if any) westerners. It's a Thai dish indeed. I enjoy it and my wife makes it frequently at home for us. Much better than any street stall variety as she makes sure the starting ingredients are grade A.

Just because Thais eat it doesnt make it Thai food.

Jeez what next pizza is Thai because Thais eat it and its sold here.

"Satay is Thai food."

Should read satay is food of Indonesian origin sold in Thailand.

I refer back to my original point, just because its sold as Thai food in Thai restaurants overseas doesnt make it Thai food, hence many farang visiting Thailand for the first time are in a state of confusion.

BTW, for Thai restaurants overseas how do you define one?

Indian owned with Pinoy cooks?

Chinese owned with Malay cooks?

Vietnamese owned with Viet cooks?

Most farang wouldnt know the difference, I and the mrs have been in them all, and refused to pay the bill.

As JT says sorry for being anal, but its something I have a passion for, Thai food that is not anal.

^^^^^^^,

"Satay is Thai food."

I refer back to my original point, just because its sold as Thai food in Thai restaurants overseas doesnt make it Thai food, hence many farang visiting Thailand for the first time are in a state of confusion.

Most farang wouldnt know the difference, I and the mrs have been in them all, and refused to pay the bill.

As JT says sorry for being anal, but its something I have a passion for, Thai food that is not anal.

You are kidding with this post right? How are you defining Thai food then? All the Thai curry's, are they Thai food by your definition? Panang? Gaengikwan? Pad Prik Gaeng? And as JT pointed out, Pad thai would not be "Thai food" if left to your definition. Is Somtum Thai food?

So do tell, what are the only dishes that you consider "Thai food"...

Better yet, why don't you start a new thread in this cause it really has no place in this one....

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

^^^^^^^,

"Satay is Thai food."

It is well known that curry originated from the prehistoric inhabitants of the Indus Valley civilization - so if what you said about satay is true then I guess all the curry based Thai dishes are not Thai? And don't forget to tell the Italians that any pasta dish is actually Chinese foods! It just depends on how far back you want to take your theory!

• Like 1

You are kidding with this post right? How are you defining Thai food then? All the Thai curry's, are they Thai food by your definition? Panang? Gaengikwan? Pad Prik Gaeng? And as JT pointed out, Pad thai would not be "Thai food" if left to your definition. Is Somtum Thai food?

Better yet, why don't you start a new thread in this cause it really has no place in this one....

Not kidding at all, it was you who made the statement,

"Stuff like satay is the classic american Thai appetizer'

How a dish that is widely available in just about every food court in Singapore, readily available in Malayasia and Indonesia be categorised as Thai food is beyond me.

Edited by rgs2001uk

Not kidding at all, it was you who made the statement,

"Stuff like satay is the classic american Thai appetizer'

How a dish that is widely available in just about every food court in Singapore, readily available in Malayasia and Indonesia be categorised as Thai food is beyond me.

I stand by my statement. I also stand by my statement that the satay being sold in Thailand is also considered Thai food. And that is even by those cooking and selling it (all thais). Just go around and ask them if they consider it thai food or not. I'm talking about asking the street vendors and stalls that sell it throughout the Kingdom.

^^^^^, Every street vendor and stall I have seen selling these has written in Thai, either moo ping or BBQ, I have never heard of vendors referring to this food as satay.

The only time I have seen this referred to as satay has been in tourist places.

^^^^^, Every street vendor and stall I have seen selling these has written in Thai, either moo ping or BBQ, I have never heard of vendors referring to this food as satay.

Moo/gai Bing and satay are different things. Perhaps that's why you're confused. Satay uses chicken that is coated in cumin that turns it yellow. It is also served with peanut sauce and usually some pieces of toast and a cucumber with onions and vinegar side dish. That is called satay. Moo/gai Bing is not that

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 2

Yes I agree a Thai version of satay as described above served at some Thai restaurants in Thailand. It's not like it's on all or most menus, but certainly some of them. I am sure the people serving it consider it Thai food just like they consider Pad Thai Thai food.

Moo ping is grilled pork on skewer - usually marinated with garlic and fish sauce served without peanut sauce.

Satay is grilled chicken on skewer - marinated in milk, coconut milk, yellow curry, turmeric, soy sauce, salt and sugar. Served with peanut sauce.

Satay may have originated from Java, but the Malays and the Thais also claim it as their own. But the Arabs introduced kebab to Indonesia in the 19th century which evolved into Indonesian Satay or Sate. :-)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

OMG!

I appear to have found them:

ANGEL WINGS

6 de-boned and deep-fried chicken wings stuffed with Pork, Garllc and grass noodles served

with a delicious sweet & sour sauce.

At Purple Space Monkey -- Jomtien, run by a Thai and an American, go figure.

Ask and you shall find (yourself?)

http://www.mydestina...le-space-monkey

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I know it's not on the menu in a lot of places.

What I'd like to know here is where exactly IS it on the menu in the Pattaya area.

I simply cannot believe that there is no restaurant in this big city that doesn't offer this dish.

I also agree that it wouldn't be an everyday Thai home family dish, especially in this age of convenience.

The Haven Soi 13 has Crispy Chicken wings Stuffed with Pork , but I never tried it.

http://www.thehaven-hotel.com/main.php

News flash to local restauranteurs. Put stuff Thai chicken wings on your menu and you can reel in some Americans! (Or not ....)

News flash to local restauranteurs. Put stuff Thai chicken wings on your menu and you can reel in some Americans! (Or not ....)

yes you will have me as a regular.

I found it once on a buffet at the "Tavern by the Sea" of the Amari hotel, that was over 10 years ago when it was Henry J Beans. I asked the F&B manager a couple of months ago if it was on the menu and he said no it was not. Maybe I will try to get him to regularly feature it at our Sunday PCEC meeting buffet, based on comments here it would bring in many more guests on Sunday. What do you think? Will you join us if I am successful?

OMG!

I appear to have found them:

ANGEL WINGS

6 de-boned and deep-fried chicken wings stuffed with Pork, Garllc and grass noodles served

with a delicious sweet & sour sauce.

At Purple Space Monkey -- Jomtien, run by a Thai and an American, go figure.

Ask and you shall find (yourself?)

http://www.mydestina...le-space-monkey

But I still like my recipe better... I use glass noodles instead of GRASS noodles.