Looking For Yamaha Sr 400 Info

Dutchbike

At a local ( Thai) bike shope there 2 Yamaha SR 400's for sale ( spoked wheels, front drum brake)

I always liked these SR's but before going there ( or better, first send in a Thai relative to ask the price and after that go there myself and see how much more there asking for a farang biggrin.png ) i want to be a bit more informed about this model.

There seems to be quite some of these SR 400's in Thailand ( I assume Japanese home-market version of the SR 500).all grey import??? or where these bikes at one point officialy imported/sold by Yamaha Thailand??

With an engine based on the good old XT 500 there's not much wrong with reliablity and the rest of the bike is quite basic/ low tech. an easy bike to work on.

Other things i want to know:

Prices?? all depends on the shape/km's/ paperwork, but just a indication

Parts: easy to get in Thailand?? through Yamaha?? or are there specialiced shops in Thailand??

When at one point i decide to purchase a SR 400 it will be a new "project" and i want to make a cafe racer of it, so any shops in Thailand with quality aftermarket parts?? for SR's

Weak points of the SR's 400 ( if any)

And... ( if there any owners around) how's the ride?? i owned a XT 500 a XT 600 and a XBR 500 ( a out of the factory cafe racer style bike from Honda) and always liked those big thumpers, lot's of torque and a nice soundtrack.

I'm not in a hurry, just gathering information, which is part of the fun.in the searh for a new "project"

Thanks in advance wai.gif

• Like 1

i think the issue will be a green book if you need or want it. It is very rare to find them with the book but if you do plan on paying big$$$$

Good advice above. I did a lot of investigations a few years ago about this bike. There are loads of them for sale and plenty of interest over here. Parts are easy to source and there are also a few internet sites originating from Australia too as well as Thai clubs.

Dont consider anything without a CORRECT green book is my advice to you. There are loads of threads here on both subjects (SR & green books)

Re- kick start.

The inventor had a 'gammy' ankle so he designed the decompression lever on the Sr400 so that its very easy to kick over. Check mocyc.com there are usually loads for sale on there.

Edited by DILLIGAD

Hi Dutchbike

About a year ago I wrote an article about buying an SR in Thailand. I think it will help:

http://omega-racer.blogspot.com/2011/07/buying-sr-in-thailand.html

Kickstarting my SR is as easy as kickstarting my wife's old Honda Cela.

Prices for SR without book are about 65.000, with book they start at 90.000.

If I were you I would wait, check the classifieds (English & Thai), bikes with books pop up regularly, but prices can go from 90.000 to 300.000.

A very good site is srthailand.com, also thaiscooter.com....there are a few facebook groups too, but they mostly sell parts there.

Weak points? I'll let you know when I find one. :-)

If you want to know more, feel free to PM me...I'm always happy to talk about the SR.

Hi Dutchbike

About a year ago I wrote an article about buying an SR in Thailand. I think it will help:

http://omega-racer.b...n-thailand.html

Kickstarting my SR is as easy as kickstarting my wife's old Honda Cela.

Prices for SR without book are about 65.000, with book they start at 90.000.

If I were you I would wait, check the classifieds (English & Thai), bikes with books pop up regularly, but prices can go from 90.000 to 300.000.

A very good site is srthailand.com, also thaiscooter.com....there are a few facebook groups too, but they mostly sell parts there.

Weak points? I'll let you know when I find one. :-)

If you want to know more, feel free to PM me...I'm always happy to talk about the SR.

Thanks Omega,

Nice article(s) on your blog, a true SR fan.i see.

It looks like the 2 SR's at the local shop are gone, but as i wrote i'm not in a hurry, sooner or later one will cross my path.

• Like 1