What Do I Chose?

Shaktam

What is the best Thai language school in Pattaya?

I'm looking at Pro Language or PLC. Does anyone recommend either. What is the schedule like at PLC and if decide to go from group lessons to 1on 1 tutor. Can I change over easy without losing money? Also how big are the classes at Pro language? PLC seems to have quite small classes.

I have been using a book by Benjawan Becker that it looks like Pro language use the same type of criteria from what I have seen. This system works pretty well for me but I need to know the schedule etc.

By the way I'm looking to study 4-5 days per week for 2-3 hours each class.

Cheers.

For my money I would only consider a school that rejected ‘transliteration’.

Walen (opposite Bid C extra) use this approach. You have to learn to Read/write and all that goes with it.

To my mind the question ‘Can you speak Thai? ‘ should be ‘Can you understand Thai?’.This of course depends on individual skill. Development of ‘understanding ‘for those with limited natural skills could be a factor in your choice.

Further I would only be interested in a school that taught ‘word for word’

So for example the student would know that the question ‘How many children do you have’? in word for word Thai is

‘You have offspring .How many person?’

From memory Thai for beginners did not use that approach.

I suspect that the best teacher will be fully fluent Farang-he/she will see it from your point of logic.

Suggest that you investigate both.

As an "absolute beginner" it is perfectly reasonable to start learning Thai with "transliteration". This is still the fastest way to learn to communicate in BASIC Thai and with immedeately usable phrases.

Even in the Schools (including the one mentioned above) who "claim" to not use any transliterations you will notice that ALL students -(as in every single one)- scribble their own versions of transliteration in their respective books.

Among the best reports of Language Schools in Pattaya will always be Pro Language. Should you be interested to become fluent eventually - then - to learn Thai script is an absolute necessity.

As an "absolute beginner" it is perfectly reasonable to start learning Thai with "transliteration". This is still the fastest way to learn to communicate in BASIC Thai and with immedeately usable phrases.

Even in the Schools (including the one mentioned above) who "claim" to not use any transliterations you will notice that ALL students -(as in every single one)- scribble their own versions of transliteration in their respective books.

Transliteration is , I agree . a ‘quick fix’,

Without it books entitled ‘Learn Thai’ would never sell.

The OP suggests that he is not an ‘’ Absolute Beginner’’.

I think that the OP needs to have a clear understanding of his needs .

A SWOL analysis (Strengths –Weakness’s –Opportunities –Limitations) is probably what I am suggesting.

(as an aside A transliteration system comprising –Thai Vowels –Farang consonants-Farang Tone marks could be a benefit. At least with that approach all systems would be the same and demands some useful learning from students.

Transliteration is not only a "quick fix" - but also allows you to interact with Thai people immediately - assuming ofcourse - the "Basic Thai" you learn is of everyday value and usage.

The sooner you can interact with Thai people IN THE THAI LANGUAGE - the sooner you can start to communicate in Thai effectively.

You will learn like a child (just exponentially faster) - in "building blocks". Communication in a new language (or even your mothers tongue) takes practice - every day a little more "sticks" in your brain when you use it.

But if you are unable to read Thai-script you will eventually reach a plateau from where it appears there is no escape (unless you can read Thai literature,newspapers etc etc etc).

To learn BASIC Thai script reading skills - I am not aware of any better system than the "Maanii Reader" available for free - with sound - on the Internet.

Edited by Parvis

Transliteration is not only a "quick fix" - but also allows you to interact with Thai people immediately - assuming ofcourse - the "Basic Thai" you learn is of everyday value and usage.

The sooner you can interact with Thai people IN THE THAI LANGUAGE - the sooner you can start to communicate in Thai effectively.

You will learn like a child (just exponentially faster) - in "building blocks". Communication in a new language (or even your mothers tongue) takes practice - every day a little more "sticks" in your brain when you use it.

But if you are unable to read Thai-script you will eventually reach a plateau from where it appears there is no escape (unless you can read Thai literature,newspapers etc etc etc).

To learn BASIC Thai script reading skills - I am not aware of any better system than the "Maanii Reader" available for free - with sound - on the Internet.

The OP is seeking advice on school selection.

I think that your diatribe is not moving the process forward.

Do you actually know any Thai Language schools in Pattaya?

The students that i know that has actually went to both schools rate PLC higher than pro language.

Without experience from at least a couple of schools, you can't have an informed opinion,

and neither can anyone else.

Perhaps study 5 hours at a few schools so you can compare competence ?

the teacher make a helluva difference

ed: actually one of those guys have opted to study at two places, of which one is PLC,

he think it help to hear 2 dialects, not to mention he really enjoy study

Edited by poanoi

I've studied in both schools.

I had 2 different teachers at PLC (both were pretty bad).

PLC had no books and no method (for advanced students).

Pro-language is much better than PLC on pattaya central road. Their books were better and the teacher was better.

Edited by kriswillems

Apologies . I actually attended PLC for I think about 90 hours(I knew it by location –not by name)

What did it do for me –almost nothing.

I was taught on a one per one basis by the lady who owns the school.

We actually fell out with each other. I had this nasty habit of asking questions. Her attitude that she was the teacher –I was the student. As a student I should not ask questions.

The only single benefit was that she started me on the process for learning to Read and Write. It did not really work for me. In fact I left and started to teach myself.(The submission that I made today on Vowels and Tone rules was a consequence of this )

I could say more –none of it good.

That said –my experience could be isolated .

So for me 90 hours tuition and did not use any of it.

I'm exactly the same, if the teacher can't explain, or are unwilling to explain,

-i won't last a week even. The only teacher that met my standard was Bpoo

And he did complain about the inability of explanation by the teacher at PLC

Edited by poanoi

Maybe a bit more information about my experience at PLC.

They had no books for teaching at a higher level.

They tried using the books of benjawan poomsan decker, but I've already read them (and my level is much higher).

It took a while to convince them, and I wasted time and money with this, but they finally understood these books were too easy for me. They clearly were too lazy to look for suitable material.

They had no idea what to teach. So, they took some old Thai schoolbooks and started reading them. It was a completely useless activity, because the books just had lists with difficult words (that nobody uses) and they tried to make me remember the individual words (for instance all words with a ฌ ฑ ฒ ฏ ฆ ฤ) without giving examples. It was a complete waste of time and money.

One teacher had serious personal problems (had a child and was splitting up with her husband), and was very overworked and depressed. A lot of time was lost on this.

The other teacher had a medical problem (something with her red blood cells) and she was dreaming away all the time, so couldn't concentrate even a minute.

The teachers have to teach 9 hours per day, so they are all overworked. Even though you pay for private tuition, they will do nothing to find teaching material that fits your needs, because they simply have no time for it.

I feel sorry for them, because they basically were nice people, but they were not good teachers and the school did absolutely nothing to help them.

I can only advice one thing for the people that live in this province : go to BKK. Even taking into account the 5 hours on the bus, some schools in BKK more efficient to learn Thai. Another way might be to study mainly by yourself and just use a school in Pattaya for assistance in this process.

I also went to look at Walen in Pattaya in the same street, only a few meters away from both schools. I was very unimpressed with their books (I also borrowed a book from a student). The structure looked chaotic and the contents of their most difficult book (book 3 at that time) was at a very low level. The students of the highest level class were at a lower level than the level of beginners of the better schools in BKK.

Edited by kriswillems

I also went to look at Walen in Pattaya in the same street, only a few meters away from both schools. I was very unimpressed with their books (I also borrowed a book from a student). The structure looked chaotic and the contents of their most difficult book (book 3 at that time) was at a very low level. The students of the highest level class were at a lower level than the level of beginners of the better schools in BKK.

This is both interesting and disappointing.

Q. Did they manage to teach you or other students reading /writing skills?

Do they teach Thai grammar to a high level?

If the answer is No! to both Q,s -what exactly do they teach?

Well, i have yet to hear anyone being disappointed on the competence of Bpoo,

and we have been to Walen/PLC/ProLanguage/etc prior to that.

http://ssschoolth.blogspot.com/

What stands out particularly is the capability & willingness to explain,

as well as the feedback in form of tailor made home-work.

Downside is she still don't make EDvisa.

Well, i have yet to hear anyone being disappointed on the competence of Bpoo,

Downside is she still don't make EDvisa.

And he did complain about the inability of explanation by the teacher at PLC

Out of curiosity is this character Bpoo male or female?

Edited by Delight

To be honest, my plan when i started school was to go there just long enough

so i could make a 5 year driving license, and then disappear.

But it was actually entertaining & rewarding, and so i decided to get my money's worth and

get the education i had paid for.

When she stopped working at her former school, i realized after a couple of other teachers that it was a complete waste of time, and to my knowledge, the entire class left altogether

within a few months.

Those of us who need ED keep asking <deleted> when you gonna register ?!

so we can go back and get our moneys worth

( i now subscribe to another school but dont waste my time, it's visa biz)

Those that didn't need the visa (as in 50+) now study with her private

Poanoi I'm going to be doing private lessons with Bpoo or another tutor I have the contacts of. And like you said I'll be focusing my main studies with the private teacher. You talk about signing with a school for visa biz. Which school is that? Pm me of you could as I thinking the same way now until Bpoo gets the visa thing running.

Poanoi I'm going to be doing private lessons with Bpoo or another tutor I have the contacts of. And like you said I'll be focusing my main studies with the private teacher. You talk about signing with a school for visa biz. Which school is that? Pm me of you could as I thinking the same way now until Bpoo gets the visa thing running.

Shaktam

Can I ask that you send me some contact info. with respect to this lady.

None seems to exist on her sites

Send it to me direct if you prefer.

Thanks in anticipation

Edited by Delight

I go to the Pro Language School. Have been studying with them for nearly 3 years and I am very happy with them.clap2.gif

I don't know anything about the other school you mention, but I can really recommend the Pro Language one.

The class sizes vary. My class has 5 other students in it, but last year it was bigger, and the first year I learnt in a private one to one class.

I suggest you go in and discuss about the schedule you want. I found them to be very flexible with the times and day I needed to study. I got to say they are great at putting you in a group to match you level. I know they do free trail lessons too, so you could try one out before you decide.

Good luck with whatever school you go to and I hope your have as much fun learning Thai language as I am still having!

biggrin.png