Bridge Over Mekong - Chiang Khong

TwentyBaht

Construction of the span is nearing completion. Only, a few meters left. A Chinese engineer says 12/12/12 is the official date (a "lucky" date).

Completion of the Immigration/Customs offices and road surfaces on the Thai/Laos side appears to be lagging by a few months.

post-93546-0-31325400-1349671148_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I drove there to have a good looksee.

At optimistic guesses I reckon minimum 6 months to complete the facilities on this side. It will take three months to install and commission all the IT gear and as yet, there's no building complete enough to put it in.

I'd actually be surprised if it's even been put out for bids on the supply yet.

• 1 month later...

They will have a official oppening ceremoni today-just to do something I guess.

They bridge will open mid June 2013,as they ran out of money some how.

Talked whit a thai man yesterday who had been on a seminar of a kind about it and he told me-so I looked around the internet for some news-and Chiang Rai Times had the storie-or just a notice about it.

Edited by brianmarinus

• 2 weeks later...

The bridge from Thailand to Laos is now connect. The long pole in the tent is getting the immigration checkpoint and flow through completed. The reach goal is to be complete by April 2013. I suspect Chiang Khong will start to grow like Chiang Rai when the bridge is in work.

post-42806-0-61335700-1356049405_thumb.j

post-42806-0-68674300-1356049491_thumb.j

post-42806-0-32652500-1356049607_thumb.j

From a local perspective, full bridge function (Immigration/Customs) will be many months away. New Immigration/Customs officers have yet to move into the area. And, existing Immigration/Customs officers have yet to be notified of any job movements.

Local thought is that limited truck traffic will be allowed first. And, other services ramping up after that.

All this done in stages in order to smooth out the effects on the local Chiang Khong economy.

• 5 months later...

I've seen people walking across at Nong Khai, never farang though.

I once walked from Singapore to Malaysia across the causeway.

No one is allowed to walk across the Nong Khai bridge, perhaps only half way where a sign prevents you from walking any further. Some locals do it, but they can't walk all the way. If you asked nicely perhaps you'd be allowed to walk half way across like some Thais or Laotians coming from the other side do but apart from a photo op there is little reason to do it.

Last October a Vietnamese guy on the Thai side of the bridge was running around like a chicken and managed to get to the toll booth where he was probably told for the 10th time that he wasn't allowed to walk across the bridge so he asked if he could travel in my car to which I replied "OK". I thus drove him across to the Lao side where I even offered to drive him into the city but he declined my offer. He was probably feeling embarrassed after making such a big deal just to save 20 Baht on the bus but probably didn't have another 100-200 Baht to pay me for driving him into Vientiane, where I was headed anyway. Or he was only prepared to spend another 20 Baht to get into the city which would have meant waiting a long time for an overcrowded bus.