Learn Thai In Pattaya?

Shaktam

looking for the best tutor or school prefferably tutor to learn thai in Pattaya. Im looking to study 4 days per week and want to find a good teacher with a decent program to learn thai and start speaking quickly I have basic thai skills now I can speak Thai but understanding and conversing i cannot.

I was looking to attend a school in Pattaya and obtain the Ed visa as a bonus but I actually want to learn and now I think it may be a waste of time reading all the forums posts saying the schools are setup for the Ed visa etc.

If I can find a decent 1 on 1 teacher then I will just come in on a double entry or something. But the main thing is I need any of you guys who have first hand experience to recommend me some schools or tutors. cheers.

I used Pro Language in Pattaya, the group classes were very good. I changed to one on one lessons after about 3 months and if Apple is still teaching there i would highly recommend her as a private tutor.

Very patient and unlike some of the other teachers, she was very good at having a discusion with resorting to Yes yes yes i know etc.

Good luck

• Like 1

Okay, I have only heard good things about Pro language group courses so far, with your private lessons were they quite expensive? I'm thinking now I might do a group class 3 days per week and have a private tutor from another school 2 days and see where that gets me.

"If I can find a decent 1 on 1 teacher then I will just come in on a double entry or something. But the main thing is I need any of you guys who have first hand experience to recommend me some schools or tutors. cheers. "

For 1 on 1 Thai lessons I can recommend, from first hand experience, a tutor that can be found at one of the establishments on 2nd Rd, just opposite the entrance to Soi Honey, on the other side of the road there are a number of small 'offices' - ask for Lek, or Faa or Noi thumbsup.gif

She might also be able to assist with you coming in on a double entry . . . . . or something tongue.png

Good luck.

• Like 1

I have taken one on one lessons at EasiLearn on Soi Buakow. They do the one-on-one lessons there. They are not one of those "ed visa" type schools. The lesson style and teacher have both been suitable for me. You purchase a number of hours of one on one instruction and schedule the hours between you and your teacher.

EasiLearn is on Soi Buakao, just a little way from the Pattaya Tai end. See Photoguide Map to Easilearn Her telephone number is 0861419906 and email is [email protected]

I have taken one on one lessons at EasiLearn on Soi Buakow. They do the one-on-one lessons there. They are not one of those "ed visa" type schools. The lesson style and teacher have both been suitable for me. You purchase a number of hours of one on one instruction and schedule the hours between you and your teacher.

EasiLearn is on Soi Buakao, just a little way from the Pattaya Tai end. See Photoguide Map to Easilearn Her telephone number is 0861419906 and email is [email protected]

She is a nice teacher but if you want the correct tones she is not the one. Seems a lot of teachers are accustom to hearing falangs they dont seem to correct the tones. Easi learn has this problem.

Hi. I know a branch of the school I attend in in Pattaya. It might be what you want, because the teachers are all properly qualified and have lots of experiences. Its called Pro Language. This school is also the most flexible one I have found in terms of fitting the times in you want to study, and putting you at the correct level. They will also alter the lessons to suit what you actually need.

I have been at this school (but in Chiang Mai) for nearly 3 years, and they have been very professional. My Thai is a good level now too!!! They do a free trail lesson, so you might like to try it out. You can find the website, just type in Pro Language School Pattaya. I got these details from their site for you:

Address:

116/33 Mu 9 Central Pattaya Rd., Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi

Tel. 038-489225-7

Fax. chrome-extension://lifbcibllhkdhoafpjfnlhfpfgnpldfl/numbers_button_skype_logo.png038-489228 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 038-489228 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Opening:Mon-Sat ( 9.00 AM.- 8.00 PM. )

Email:

Good luck in finding what you need! Oh, and I know they do the ED visa also and its all straight forward at the immigration office as the school is well established and recognised.

Edited by Rimmer
email removed

• 6 months later...

Just for completness I would like to share my experience with EASI LEARN Center in Pattaya. I was a total beginner in Thai and had a free private trial lesson first where I was highly impressed by the teacher and her book (that she wrote herself). She uses phonetics or the Thail alphabet, the choice was mine. I chose to use the phonetics and not to worry about the alphabet. So far so good, after the trial lesson I paid for a package of 20 private lessons. The teacher's nick name was Nit Noy, she is the owner and director of this small school.

But surprise surprise the actual lessons were not held in the same style as the trial lesson. Lots of small talk in English and a little bit of Thai learning. Sometimes she would chat in English for 40 minutes (about her boyfriend not about the Thai language, as this is what I was there for).

Then when we finally got going in Thai and she would read out a question in Thai and I would answer in Thai without looking. But after pretty much each of my Thai replies she would then interrupt with some funny comment in English and then chit chat in English about some unrelated topic. Sure it is great to have fun while you are learning, but in my opinion it was too much fun, far too much small talking and little Thai teaching....the private class could rarely get the momentum up.

For most days she only had a 10 am slot available, that meant I was her first student of the day. There is nothing wrong with that really, except for the fact that at 10 am she was half asleep and highly unmotivated to teach.

I would not recommend EASI LEARN to anyone if your aim is to learn Thai, however to be fair: Her books are great, well structured and in a short period of time you could be having basic conversations in Thai here in Pattaya, if only the teacher's delivery wasn't so laid back....

Just for completness I would like to share my experience with EASI LEARN Center in Pattaya. I was a total beginner in Thai and had a free private trial lesson first where I was highly impressed by the teacher and her book (that she wrote herself). She uses phonetics or the Thail alphabet, the choice was mine. I chose to use the phonetics and not to worry about the alphabet. So far so good, after the trial lesson I paid for a package of 20 private lessons. The teacher's nick name was Nit Noy, she is the owner and director of this small school.

But surprise surprise the actual lessons were not held in the same style as the trial lesson. Lots of small talk in English and a little bit of Thai learning. Sometimes she would chat in English for 40 minutes (about her boyfriend not about the Thai language, as this is what I was there for).

Then when we finally got going in Thai and she would read out a question in Thai and I would answer in Thai without looking. But after pretty much each of my Thai replies she would then interrupt with some funny comment in English and then chit chat in English about some unrelated topic. Sure it is great to have fun while you are learning, but in my opinion it was too much fun, far too much small talking and little Thai teaching....the private class could rarely get the momentum up.

For most days she only had a 10 am slot available, that meant I was her first student of the day. There is nothing wrong with that really, except for the fact that at 10 am she was half asleep and highly unmotivated to teach.

I would not recommend EASI LEARN to anyone if your aim is to learn Thai, however to be fair: Her books are great, well structured and in a short period of time you could be having basic conversations in Thai here in Pattaya, if only the teacher's delivery wasn't so laid back....

I know it is easy to say and hard to do but why did you not explain everything you told us to her, she just might appricate how to improve, she also might not but you never now until you communicate.

looking for the best tutor or school prefferably tutor to learn thai in Pattaya. Im looking to study 4 days per week and want to find a good teacher with a decent program to learn thai and start speaking quickly I have basic thai skills now I can speak Thai but understanding and conversing i cannot.

I was looking to attend a school in Pattaya and obtain the Ed visa as a bonus but I actually want to learn and now I think it may be a waste of time reading all the forums posts saying the schools are setup for the Ed visa etc.

If I can find a decent 1 on 1 teacher then I will just come in on a double entry or something. But the main thing is I need any of you guys who have first hand experience to recommend me some schools or tutors. cheers.

I found that the quality of the group and the seriousness of the teacher was most important rather than the school. The cheaper the school the more irritating people would be in the class - you know the "I know Thai cause my bar girl has taught me bar Thai" idiots who have to try to correct the teacher every five minutes. Or the teacher who has to flirt with everybody rather than follow the teaching curriculum.

Best bet is to sit in or watch a free class or two before signing up. Sorry you had a bad time. I went to a good school in Bangkok finally that I can recommend.

• Like 1

I also recommend AUA conveniently located on the 4th floor of the Central Pattaya Beach mall. Thai language courses offered at all levels of ability. 2,700 baht for 20 hour courses, 5,400 baht for 40 hour courses. 10% discount for Pattaya expat club members. Kuhn Jaycee is a fantastic teacher and writes all of her own materials. Highly recommended and reasonably priced.

Hi. I know a branch of the school I attend in in Pattaya. It might be what you want, because the teachers are all properly qualified and have lots of experiences. Its called Pro Language. This school is also the most flexible one I have found in terms of fitting the times in you want to study, and putting you at the correct level. They will also alter the lessons to suit what you actually need.

I have been at this school (but in Chiang Mai) for nearly 3 years, and they have been very professional. My Thai is a good level now too!!! They do a free trail lesson, so you might like to try it out. You can find the website, just type in Pro Language School Pattaya. I got these details from their site for you:

Address:

116/33 Mu 9 Central Pattaya Rd., Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi

Tel. 038-489225-7

Fax. chrome-extension://lifbcibllhkdhoafpjfnlhfpfgnpldfl/numbers_button_skype_logo.png038-489228 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 038-489228 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Opening:Mon-Sat ( 9.00 AM.- 8.00 PM. )

Email:

Good luck in finding what you need! Oh, and I know they do the ED visa also and its all straight forward at the immigration office as the school is well established and recognised.

Not to be sarcastic but I would think that after 3 years you should be reading, writing and speaking Fluent Thai? This is the thing that concerns be about the school you talk about. A person should not need 3 years of teaching. 1 years should be more then enough I would say.

To everyone else does the schools you are talking about here in Pattaya (Pro Language) etc also teach reading and writing? My Thai is pretty good but I would like to learn this.

All schools i know of teach read & write, but read & write is to a large degree do-it-yourself.

1 year is tight for learning thai at 4 hour a week, even if you do the most part at home,

pro language rank fairly high in my mates experience,

(relatively speaking ! we are underwhelmed with the teaching skills here )

didnt try it myself tho

• 8 months later...

I dont want to put a downer on Prolanguage but my experience there was less than good (and I worked there too). My group lessons were a waste of time. The teacher had a set plan that did not take into account the general speed of learning of the group. He just ploughed on through. I have now started one on one in Jomtien learning to read. Too early to form a judgement yet.

BTW everyone recommends Apple as an excellent teacher, unfortunately I never had the chance to try

for tone practice, learn to speak by asking random taxi drivers the location of institutes in Thai

(sa tit demonstration school for example) when they understand you , you have the correct tone.

It is clear to me that some people will never get the tones.And some will sound almost like a Thai.

Many lessons are a waste of time and money. You have all the resources you need right here.- and on the web.

• Like 1