Marriage Visa New Document Required

I just got back from Immigration (name withheld) .not entirely dissatisfied, but they claimed that I had to produce a copy of my 'affirmation of ability to marry' document. dam_n it, you have the marriage certificate on the table in front of you, I couldn't get married without that. (I was polite, actually). I have to go back to the Amphur, get a copy or, if they have 'lost' it, go to the police station to get a paper certifying that it is lost.

I have the feeling that some potential tea money is floating around here.

So I go back to the Amphur tomorrow and then do the 2 1/2 hour drive back.

Orders from above he said, claiming that his boss had insisted on this document.

You are completely vulnerable when you go for your first extension due to marriage, much depends on your getting through (or over) this hurdle, and I guess someone has worked this out. I guess another ฿3000.- 'fee' is in the pipeline?

Sorry but I have commented before that the affirmation to marry has been asked for in my local office and also the copy of the registry which would have been given to you when you got married.

So Thai Visa is misinforming us? I had the copy of the registry, ('take a copy of everything') which I found was ok, but this is a completely irrational.

Can we have the list of required documents on Thai Visa updated please? I have gone to great pains to read everything I could find every step of the way so far, I didn't find this one.

This really is so stupid, as you said you have the mnarraige certificate so can't see why there is the need for 'Affirmation of Freedom to Marry'

paper.

It really makes no sense but there again copying your updated Bank book at the day you go to immigration and showing 3 months where the stipulated money is in the bank should be suffice, but no you have to get a letter from the bank.

It seems that people of low intelligence make up these rules.

Good old Thailand!!!

Just spend some more Baht and smile. Life could be worse.

perhaps the reason is that with modern technology a marriage license can be forged. It is always best to go to immigration with every type of document that they might ask for. Just consider how easy it really is to stay in Thailand compared with a Thai trying to get a visa in your country.

perhaps the reason is that with modern technology a marriage license can be forged. It is always best to go to immigration with every type of document that they might ask for. Just consider how easy it really is to stay in Thailand compared with a Thai trying to get a visa in your country.

Yes that is what crossed my mind this morning. The document is actually quite useful as it has a few other details in it, such as income, also. I am annoyed because I didn't find any reference anywhere to need for this document, I called immigration twice and they carefully gave me a list of documents needed, this one was not mentioned.

Hey ho, it's a nice drive, I might buy a buffalo cart while I'm down there as my wife wants to invest in a buffalo... that'll give her something to think about, going shopping bovinely (?). She might go off the idea. I hope.

I recently had 1 year extension based on marriage and I wasn't asked to produce this document even if it was listed as one of the required documents, I guess I was lucky. It actually makes no sense in my opinion because if you can forge a marriage license, even easier you can forge a affirmation of ability to marry document.

As for how easy it is for my Thai wife to stay in my country I can tell you it's much easier than for me to stay in Thailand. Actually she has already asked my citizenship just by submitting marriage certificate and criminal record clearance (she has already permanent residency in my country which includes free medical cares, free courses of my language, can own land, can own company, can do any kind of jobs no work permit required, etc.). She has been to my country just briefly, doesn't speak the language, never worked there. She got PR just by showing our marriage certificate. She can have all of these because she is married with me........ I had to submit many more papers to have a 1 year extension on my non O and even take a witness with me.

So again maybe you should consider how easy it really is to stay in Thailand compared with a Thai trying to get a visa in a western country in case of a married couple

Actually it would be very difficult to forge such a document as it has Embassy seal and known signature of that official and has been checked/verified and recorded at MFA and received a registration number and signatures from MFA that can also be checked and verified.

You are right. Maybe they didn't ask me because I showed them the marriage certificate approved by the interior ministry (the same I had to submit for my wife application to get nationality). Still it's easier for my wife to get my nationality than for me to get a 1 year visa.

This is the list I use: (2 copies as I do not live in Bangkok)

TM7 Application x 2 (which includes the photos)

Passport + copies

TM6 + copies

Yellow Book + copies

Embassy Income letter + copies

Bank Books + copies

Marriage Certificate + copies

Registration in Amphur + copies

Affirmation to Marry + copies

Map to Condo + copies

Pictures of wife and myself in the condo and the surrounding area + copies

Wife's ID Card + copies

Wife's Blue book + copies

Wife (original only)

• Like 1

Affirmation of permit to marry is normally only asked for when applying the first time.

I assume that is because there may been a case where somebody got a little extra money to do the marriage registration without it and immigration is checking up on the Amphoe/Khet that did the registration.

Edited by ubonjoe

I am on number five and have never been asked for it.

I would hate to even think about asking for it because I have been married for almost eleven years and I am not even sure if the Amphoe would still have the original on file.

I was asked last year to produce it, I always have it with me, last year was my 3rd extension based on marriage.

Can I ask you if you were required to produce a witness each time and further photographic eveidence ? I have to renew my Visa based on marriage soon ,and last year (being the first application ) had to provide photos of the wedding . I was also pretty much "warned "that my application may not be successful , (despite all paperwork being in order ) unless I took up their offer to " assist " .

Played dumb and refused to offer tea money ....but am wondering how difficult they may make it this time around !

I was asked last year to produce it, I always have it with me, last year was my 3rd extension based on marriage.

Can I ask you if you were required to produce a witness each time and further photographic eveidence ? I have to renew my Visa based on marriage soon ,and last year (being the first application ) had to provide photos of the wedding . I was also pretty much "warned "that my application may not be successful , (despite all paperwork being in order ) unless I took up their offer to " assist " .

Played dumb and refused to offer tea money ....but am wondering how difficult they may make it this time around !

The Immigration sent a police officer to my condo, he never spoke to myself or my wife but the office staff and security who confirmed we were living together. I provide photos of the wedding in the amphur, a photo of the Thai ceremony and also photos of us in the condo and the area around the condo. But I must add that the older staff in my local office know myself well enough as I go there when I should and am always well presented.

I would hate to even think about asking for it because I have been married for almost eleven years and I am not even sure if the Amphoe would still have the original on file.

Same here, Joe. I am 11 years married and have never been asked for it in the past 3 times of marriage extension at C/W. Before that, I was on a Non B extension

The Amphoe gave the original back to us after we got married, but they had copies. Thai Visa does say take two copies of everything, so...

We took the copy back this morning, were in and out of immigration in 10 minutes, we phone back in 9 days.

Wife went to the local Government office to get an updated Registry entry proforma, was given a sheet of paper by the official, not the Kor Dor, but another piece confirming we are still married, so have the original Kor Dor document and also this new one for my extension.

Same here, Joe. I am 11 years married and have never been asked for it in the past 3 times of marriage extension at C/W. Before that, I was on a Non B extension

been married 22years,bkk 1990 we didnt have the form,but last month wf got them at the local amphoe korat.

That is the Khor Rhor 2 form, the entry into the marriage register. The wedding certificate itself is the Khor Rhor 3 form.

I have the Khor Rhor 2 and 3, but this is just a certificate from the local Government office, stating my name and my wife's name, ID Card numbers, addresses, date of marriage and also if we are divorced, it reminded me of the Khor Rhor 2 front page but in a summarised/shorter version.

Well if someone went to the trouble to forge a marriage license, do you really believe that they could not also forge all of the other required documents as well?

Sure everything in Thailand is fake, but it's not very difficult to obtain the real documents if immigration informed people in advance.

As for however difficult it is for Thais to get a visa to elsewhere is irrelevent. The OP already had a visa granted, he is talking about extension of stay.

Edited by Time Traveller

Are you talking about the:

Affirmation of Freedom to Marry form (obtained from your embassy before you get married to claim that you are single/legally divorced)

or the

Updated KR2 form (obtained from your amphur at any time to claim that you are still married and not divorced)?