Even Her Critics May Agree: Yingluck Should Be In Charge

webfact

THAI TALK

Even her critics may agree: Yingluck should be in charge

Suthichai Yoon

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Premier Yingluck Shinawatra has repeated the phrase often enough - to the point that she might finally be convinced of the statement herself: "I am the prime minister and I am in charge." Even die-hard sceptics will have to admit that the premier has recently demonstrated a higher degree of confidence in her work - so much so that I could sense that even the opposition Democrats may be resigned to the fact that she will be in power for a while yet.

Of course, you can still say she has been putting on a brave face out of exasperation rather than the realisation that she has been voted in to lead the government, and not to serve merely as her brother's puppet.

Premier Yingluck has made it a point to appoint herself chairperson for all the major national issues, from the deep-South crisis to the anti-flood "war room". In most cases when she has been confronted with rising criticism on certain policy issues, and looked around and couldn't find any Cabinet member who could handle the confidence-sapping issues, Premier Yingluck has simply jumped in and declared herself in charge.

You can say it's a welcoming sign of a growing sense of leadership from someone who has been accused of being nothing more than a figurehead. Or you can say that it reflects a deepening sign of exasperation: She just doesn't have enough capable people around her.

But I was struck by her latest public statement that her brother Thaksin isn't making any decisions on the upcoming Cabinet reshuffle. "I am in charge. I make the choices."

The fact that the premier appeared with her sister, Yaowapa Wongswasdi (better known as Sister Daeng), the following day in a Chinatown function, might have further stirred speculation about the elder sister's influence in Yingluck's government. But if she could "dismiss" Thaksin from her sphere of influence, she could probably, at least on the record, also effectively distance herself from Yaowapa.

The fact that some Pheu Thai MPs were flying to Hong Kong over the weekend, leaking the news that they were there to discuss the rumoured Cabinet changes with Thaksin, didn't help confirm the premier's "single command" authority, of course. But Yingluck was emphatic that the MPs were only meeting her brother for a social get-together.

She didn't say it in so many words but one could interpret it as the premier was telling her own MPs that they were only wasting their time lobbying with her brother: The real power lies at Government House right in Bangkok here. Or that's what her message was supposed to say.

If anything, she has at least stalled those close to her brother who have been pressing for an early Cabinet shake-up. Yingluck has made it clear that she will tackle the flood before getting down to the new Cabinet list.

Nobody knows whether Thaksin thinks his sister has become "too independent". But it is clear that he would not want to put so much pressure on the prime minister that she might just quit if she isn't seen to be running her own show, at least from now on anyway.

As it stands now, Thaksin needs his sister more than the other way round. That's why he and his close aides have delayed the campaign for the constitutional amendments and passage of the amnesty bill so that the premier can get sufficient breathing space to ensure the government's stability.

That's also why, you might have noticed, Thaksin has not been talking about coming home as often and as vehemently as he had done earlier.

The real irony is that the better Yingluck performs as premier, the more difficult it would be for Thaksin to try to pave the way for his own return.

Now even her harshest critics may begin to believe that she is really her own woman. Don't be surprised, therefore, if she gets more support even from those who can't stand her brother.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-11

• Like 1

So all those former-TRT or current-PTP luminaries are misled, when they fly to Hong Kong to lobby for a promotion, or more-likely are they simply voting with their feet to show where they think the decision-making power lies ?

I would love to see PM-Yingluck take the reigns, and admonish them for their disloyalty, to her own leadership ! But will not be holding my breath. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

They say blood is thicker than water but: now that she has got her feet firmly under the table & is starting to get too comfortable with the surroundings will "Big brother" tolerate her or will she have the strings tightened & pulled back into line..

Could be another family feud in the making, maybe Yingluk is starting to understand Thai politics now & can see Thaksin for who he really is & thinks maybe she can do a better job.

Sibling rivalry.. nothing better, bring it on !!

• Like 1

By all means, give her the opportunity to prove herself, cast off the chains from the puppet master, however she would have to also dispose of all those who still ignore her directives and work for and kowtow to the puppet master. Remove the unfaithful which will show a sign of strength and she may have a chance.

What a bizarre commentary.

The dems are resigned to accepting she will be in power for a while? How were they ever going to oust her other than a coup?

The mps are going to go round her add though she doesn't ever speak to her brother. Insinuating that she has deliberately stalled the reforms that would enable her brothers return herself?

Yeah right.

"I am the prime minister and I am in charge."

I thought her brother was the one in charge. unsure.png

Semper, you should know, Thai women are always really in charge. They just let men think they are in charge.rolleyes.gif

I'm devastated. crying.gif

Relax and have a drink. I know it's early but what the heck it's Thailand.

I wonder if she avoids sessions of parliament and commenting on major issues because she's been told to remain quiet or because she really is incapable of leadership?

One thing is as clear as crystal and that is that she is most definatelt NOT in charge at present.

Personally I doubt that she really would want to be or that she has even the remotest capability of real leadership!

A great leader is one who surrounds themselves with stellar people in important post. A leader who cannot find anyone to delegate to has a growing festering problem. When one surrounds themselves with lackies, incompetents, go fors, and hacks they are not a real leader and continue to build a weak, corrupt, house of cards.

So who are you referring to?

I wonder if she avoids sessions of parliament and commenting on major issues because she's been told to remain quiet or because she really is incapable of leadership?

One thing is as clear as crystal and that is that she is most definatelt NOT in charge at present.

Personally I doubt that she really would want to be or that she has even the remotest capability of real leadership!

How is it as clear as crystal? I notice that the majority of posters on here repeat that mantra but ignore what happened last time the newspapers predicted a cabinet reshuffle at the orders of her supposed "boss" brother.

This when the banned members of the TRT were allowed to enter politics again after that ridiculous ban. Remember. Of course you do , you were all predicting Yingluck would roll over and have the ex-TRT members foisted on her. Did it happen, No.

So, lets see what happens this time
Edited by TheKrayTriplet
  • Like 1

A great leader is one who surrounds themselves with stellar people in important post. A leader who cannot find anyone to delegate to has a growing festering problem. When one surrounds themselves with lackies, incompetents, go fors, and hacks they are not a real leader and continue to build a weak, corrupt, house of cards.

Aahh, you don't know how to recognize a great leader. That explains a lot.

How is it as clear as crystal? I notice that the majority of posters on here repeat that mantra but ignore what happened last time the newspapers predicted a cabinet reshuffle at the orders of her supposed "boss" brother.

This when the banned members of the TRT were allowed to enter politics again after that ridiculous ban. Remember. Of course you do , you were all predicting Yingluck would roll over and have the ex-TRT members foisted on her. Did it happen, No.

"ridiculous ban"

Sorry but I can't agree, the idea of banning party-executives from politics for a few years, to try to reduce political-corruption, is a laudable (if perhaps doomed) step in the right direction, especially when it is aimed at more-than one party.

Surely you must support any attempt to straighten-out the twisted politics here ? Why ever would anyone not support that ?

Incidentally might one say how lucky I feel, that since phiphidon was banned while I was away traveling, a new member with the same style & mannerisms & political-platform has emerged, to carry forward his posting-banner ? Are you perhaps related, or a clone, of the former TV-member ?

• Like 2

So all those former-TRT or current-PTP luminaries are misled, when they fly to Hong Kong to lobby for a promotion, or more-likely are they simply voting with their feet to show where they think the decision-making power lies ?

I would love to see PM-Yingluck take the reigns, and admonish them for their disloyalty, to her own leadership ! But will not be holding my breath. rolleyes.gif

Why disloyalty??? She is just the placeholder for Thaksin and loyal to the real premier: Thaksin.

She is in charge to make her brothers wishes happen.

Wonder why the man below thinks she is in charge? You know better right? biggrin.png

post-73727-0-56899000-1349930060_thumb.j

Wonder why the man below thinks she is in charge? You know better right? biggrin.png

How do you know what he thinks?

Saw him in Pattaya last week on a tour and asked him.

"ridiculous ban"

Sorry but I can't agree, the idea of banning party-executives from politics for a few years, to try to reduce political-corruption, is a laudable (if perhaps doomed) step in the right direction, especially when it is aimed at more-than one party.

Surely you must support any attempt to straighten-out the twisted politics here ? Why ever would anyone not support that ?

Incidentally might one say how lucky I feel, that since phiphidon was banned while I was away traveling, a new member with the same style & mannerisms & political-platform has emerged, to carry forward his posting-banner ? Are you perhaps related, or a clone, of the former TV-member ?

I have no problem with the banning per se of the executive if they were aware of the offense. I cannot agree however with the banning of the whole party - that I think is extremely harsh and plays into the power politics of the Democrat Party who seemingly cannot win an election through the ballot box.

As for your allegation you may wish to rethink. Whoever phiphidpn was and when he was banned has nothing to do with me.

Do you honestly find it that hard to believe that there
may be more than a few people
that disagree with your viewpoint on politics in Thailand. An arrogant attitude if I may say so, but to be expected on a forum where it seems one is not welcome to differ from the "herd".
  • Like 1

Saw him in Pattaya last week on a tour and asked him.

Aah I see. You are the funny guy.

"ridiculous ban"

I have no problem with the banning per se of the executive if they were aware of the offense. I cannot agree however with the banning of the whole party - that I think is extremely harsh and plays into the power politics of the Democrat Party who seemingly cannot win an election through the ballot box.

As for your allegation you may wish to rethink. Whoever phiphidpn was and when he was banned has nothing to do with me.

Do you honestly find it that hard to believe that there
may be more than a few people
that disagree with your viewpoint on politics in Thailand. An arrogant attitude if I may say so, but to be expected on a forum where it seems one is not welcome to differ from the "herd".

"As for your allegation you may wish to rethink. Whoever phiphidpn was and when he was banned has nothing to do with me".

Didn't you confirm in another thread that you were in fact PPD?

Aahh, you don't know how to recognize a great leader. That explains a lot.

Are you noitom, no? Par for the course on this forum it seems - ask one question, ten answer the same way and believe might is right. It's almost if you have been totally culturally assimilated, it's perfectly OK to barrel out of a soi on the left because you are driving a Fortuner and I'm on a Honda Wave.

<snip for brevity>

I would suggest that banning the executive might give them more reason to be following what was being done in their name ?

Which is surely their job as party-management anyway ?

And five years, rather than a permanent ban, does allow them to return individually again, lesson hopefully learned.

I would be equally happy to see the Dems caught, under this approach, if it helped them clean their own stables.

There's plenty of political-corruption to go round !

<snip for brevity>

I would suggest that banning the executive might give them more reason to be following what was being done in their name ?

And five years, rather than a permanent ban, does allow them to return individually again, lesson hopefully learned.

I would be equally happy to see the Dems caught, under this approach, if it helped them clean their own stables.

See we agree but my point was do not ban the entire party for it as has been done.

<snip for brevity>

See we agree but my point was do not ban the entire party for it as has been done.

The entire party isn't banned. Just the executives.

• Like 1

<snip for brevity>

The entire party isn't banned. Just the executives.

Well blow me down with a feather. Pardon me for mistaking you for a pedant, it's not as if you have been accused of that before. Yes
Executive party members were banned for the alleged actions of a few TRT members in a court case where the Democrat Party were accused of the same thing but in this case bribing small parties NOT to contest an election which they had boycotted , a very democratic thing to do. Of course the democratic party were found not guilty of their misdemeanour.
  • Like 1