Thai Visa From Singapore Embassy - Processing Time?

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has used Singapore to get a Thai Visa recently, and what processing time they have experienced?

From their website they say, it takes a minimum of two working days, but they advised for 5 to 10 days. Seems a ridiculous amount of time for processing.

Anyone been there lately?

Thank you.

From past experience, I would avoid that consulate like the plague! It has been a couple of years since my last visit to their visa section. But there was still that one woman behind the counter who seems to delight in making the process as miserable as possible for as many applicants as possible.

While queueing there was usually at least one person who would completely "lose it". I always prayed that it wouldn't be the person directly ahead of me in the queue, lest the evil one behind the counter would visit her wrath upon me.

On the other hand, when things work out, their turnaround times are like most of the others - first morning in/ next afternoon back.

Edited by fstarbkk

They are the worst, and will only issue one tourist visa. If you look like a backpacker they will give you a real hard time as my client experienced last April, and he is 45, but did have his backpack with him, hitting the embassy in the morning before checking into his hotel, as it was too early for check in. It was not a pleasant experience for him. Dropped off paperwork in the morning, picked passport with visa up the next day.

They are the worst, and will only issue one tourist visa. If you look like a backpacker they will give you a real hard time as my client experienced last April, and he is 45, but did have his backpack with him, hitting the embassy in the morning before checking into his hotel, as it was too early for check in. It was not a pleasant experience for him. Dropped off paperwork in the morning, picked passport with visa up the next day.

Hmm, seems the tiger didn't change its stripes since I was there. The SG consulate has been pretty notorious for many years.

I get the impression that they have a policy to discourage people from making visa runs there and will do anything, short of just closing the visa department, to get the message across.

Edited by fstarbkk

If you look like a backpacker they will give you a real hard time as my client experienced last April...

Well to be honest, that statement can be used throughout Asia's top cities in my humble opinion.

I thought it was basic understanding that when visiting any embassy or consulate (of any country), you need to dress the part. Yeah, it's shallow, but that's how the world works...

Anyways, I also called the embassy and they did confirm about the "Dropping off paperwork in the morning, picking passport with visa up the next day".

The 5 to 10 days are for nationalities that require further checks / interviews it seems.

Thank you for your replies.

I got myself a 90 day Type B Visa 2 weeks ago.

Yes the notorious lady is still there, but as long as you have all the paperwork there with you, you have nothing to worry about. If there is paperwork missing, as long as you have a letter explaining why from your superior then no worries.

I went in at 9:15 is.. dropped it off by 9:30 and picked it up the next day around 2ish.

All the info is available on their consulate website.

Best of luck. Chris

-utneflyte-

I do not find my thread about it, but my experiences at the Singapore Consular section of the Thai Embassy are negative

and yes, one day bring, before 11 AM better, next day get in afternoon for "normal" Visas.

Be not surprised if they ask you for money to show or a Bank book, recently updated, flight ticket

and ask for everything else what is possible, to make you feel unpleasant.rolleyes.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

• 5 weeks later...

From past experience, I would avoid that consulate like the plague! It has been a couple of years since my last visit to their visa section. But there was still that one woman behind the counter who seems to delight in making the process as miserable as possible for as many applicants as possible.

While queueing there was usually at least one person who would completely "lose it". I always prayed that it wouldn't be the person directly ahead of me in the queue, lest the evil one behind the counter would visit her wrath upon me.

On the other hand, when things work out, their turnaround times are like most of the others - first morning in/ next afternoon back.

I have had nothing but the opposite in all the years I've been going to Singapore for my non-imm O. The lovely Muslim lady behind the counter is always pleasant to me.

Always applied on the Monday morning 9am and picked it up at 2pm the next day. 250 Sing dollars.

-utneflyte-

I do not find my thread about it, but my experiences at the Singapore Consular section of the Thai Embassy are negative

and yes, one day bring, before 11 AM better, next day get in afternoon for "normal" Visas.

Be not surprised if they ask you for money to show or a Bank book, recently updated, flight ticket

and ask for everything else what is possible, to make you feel unpleasant.rolleyes.gif

Sorry, but you are incorrect. If you had of checked on their website before applying you would have known that there are 7 requirements that must be met. They are not options. If you felt unpleasant perhaps it was due to the fact you were unaware of these requirements.

A bit of research never hurt anyone.

-utneflyte-

Sorry, but you are incorrect. If you had of checked on their website before applying you would have known that there are 7 requirements that must be met. They are not options. If you felt unpleasant perhaps it was due to the fact you were unaware of these requirements.

Nothing incorrect!

The Singapore Embassy is strictly by the book, and more "Papal than the Pope!" That is my experience, 2010?

I came there for a Non Immigrant -O-, as a father of Thai children and was denied one.

Anyway, I see only 6. requirements and do not know what Number 6. means

6. Visa of a third country in a passport or travel document

They can ask what is in the book,

I was only a bit pissed, because my Passport showed,

that I just recently had a an extension of stay from the UDON THANI Immigration office, for being father of Thai children.

And they ask me questions for a Tourist Visa, would like to deny me that?

Not all Consular sections are that strict and most of these applicants in Vientiane, have NO Thai children who apply there.

Look on, what Vientiane wants.

http://vientiane.tha...consular_check/

Vientiane ♦ Tourist Visa

• Fill in the application form and affix 2 colour photographs (3.5 x 4.5 cm.)
  • Visa fee is 1,000 baht
  • Applicants will get their passport back in the following working day from 13.00-15.00 hours

For my Non Immigrant -O- Visa, would be - 5. Other relevant document for example copy of child’s birth certificat

(I got now already since the disaster in Singapore, two or three? Non Immigrant -O- Visa in Vientiane without any problem!)

SINGAPORE Tourist Visa

http://www.thaiembas...ts/tourist-visa

1. One completed and signed visa application form

2. One recent passport-sized photograph (3.5 x 4.5cm)

3. Passport (valid for no less than 6 months)

4. Airline ticket or confirmation slip with flight number and date of entry/exit

5. Evidence of adequate finance ($1000 per person and $2000 per family)

For my Non Immigrant -O- Visa regarding, father of a Thai child,

No documentation, at all, on the Singapore Consular SectionWebsite!

So Different are the habits of SEA, ASEAN Thai Consular sections.

Even, in Thaivisa. com that is known from Adm.and Mod.

-lopburi3

"Singapore is well known as being one of the least responsive Embassies in the area - likely second only to Manila. You would have received a visa to visit on the basis of birth certificate at most locations but actually a tourist visa provides that opportunity in any case."

-lopburi3-

"OP clearly applied for the proper visa (with birth certificate proof) and was refused (Non Imm O). There is no requirement for custody to visit children and it is not listed as such on MFA website (- Birth Certificate ("O")). It was the Consulate that would only provide the tourist visa."

Yes those with Singapore Nationality or residence seem to receive better treatment.-

-lopburi3-

"Poster had what he expected to be the requirement and requested the proper visa so should not be chided for his actions on the tourist visa issue in my view."

-Mario2008-

"For a visa the birth certificate should be enough. Singapore is the first I have heard to require proof of legitimization."

And here are you in my old THREAD,

-Daam Naam-

"I agree. Have always had nothing but friendly service from the Muslim woman you mentioned." -2010

" The lovely Muslim lady behind the counter is always pleasant to me." -2012

(You must have fallen in LOVE with that "Muslim" woman, which I never saw! she with you maybe to, that is why you get such a lovely-service from her!wink.png)

-ALFREDO-

"I must say, I saw no MUSLIM looking woman around the office. One a bit Pum Pui lady was at the entrance counter

and a young, more skinny lady was behind the window where you apply for the Visas.Nobody looked, as he was a Muslim to me.wai.gif"

http://www.thaivisa....a-in-singapore/

So, -Daam Naam- you are, as it seems a good Christian and one of their principles is,

-Got hit on the cheek, present to him the other cheek also.-

Edited by ALFREDO

That is only required for a transit visa - not for a tourist visa. Singapore appears to have made an error on there web site. MFA requirements can be read here. If they actually require it would be totally over the top as people do not have visas for there passport country and most tourists are visa exempt for most countries. The requirement should be documents for entry into the country of your next destination/ticket. In most cases that is just your passport. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

• Like 1

(Non Immigrant 0 visa requirements) spouse.

This is from the Thai embassy , Singapore's website, not 30 seconds ago.

And it's been this way for the last few years.

Required documents are:

4. Copy of Airline ticket or confirmation slip with flight number date of entry

5. Copy of Marriage Certificate, Passport and Identity Card of Thai spouse

(Copies of documents must be signed by Thai Spouse)

6. Letter from Thai spouse

7. Bank Statement (at least 400,000 Baht)

-utneflyte-

Nothing incorrect!

The Singapore Embassy is strictly by the book, and more "Papal than the Pope!" That is my experience, 2010?

I came there for a Non Immigrant -O-, as a father of Thai children and was denied one.

Anyway, I see only 6. requirements and do not know what Number 6. means

They can ask what is in the book,

I was only a bit pissed, because my Passport showed,

that I just recently had a an extension of stay from the UDON THANI Immigration office, for being father of Thai children.

And they ask me questions for a Tourist Visa, would like to deny me that?

Not all Consular sections are that strict and most of these applicants in Vientiane, have NO Thai children who apply there.

Look on, what Vientiane wants.

http://vientiane.tha...consular_check/

Vientiane ♦ Tourist Visa

• Fill in the application form and affix 2 colour photographs (3.5 x 4.5 cm.)
  • Visa fee is 1,000 baht
  • Applicants will get their passport back in the following working day from 13.00-15.00 hours

For my Non Immigrant -O- Visa, would be - 5. Other relevant document for example copy of child’s birth certificat

(I got now already since the disaster in Singapore, two or three? Non Immigrant -O- Visa in Vientiane without any problem!)

SINGAPORE Tourist Visa

http://www.thaiembas...ts/tourist-visa

4. Airline ticket or confirmation slip with flight number and date of entry/exit

5. Evidence of adequate finance ($1000 per person and $2000 per family)

For my Non Immigrant -O- Visa regarding, father of a Thai child,

No documentation, at all, on the Singapore Consular SectionWebsite!

So Different are the habits of SEA, ASEAN Thai Consular sections.

Even, in Thaivisa. com that is known from Adm.and Mod.

-lopburi3

"Singapore is well known as being one of the least responsive Embassies in the area - likely second only to Manila. You would have received a visa to visit on the basis of birth certificate at most locations but actually a tourist visa provides that opportunity in any case."

-lopburi3-

"OP clearly applied for the proper visa (with birth certificate proof) and was refused (Non Imm O). There is no requirement for custody to visit children and it is not listed as such on MFA website (- Birth Certificate ("O")). It was the Consulate that would only provide the tourist visa."

Yes those with Singapore Nationality or residence seem to receive better treatment.-

-lopburi3-

"Poster had what he expected to be the requirement and requested the proper visa so should not be chided for his actions on the tourist visa issue in my view."

-Mario2008-

"For a visa the birth certificate should be enough. Singapore is the first I have heard to require proof of legitimization."

And here are you in my old THREAD,

-Daam Naam-

"I agree. Have always had nothing but friendly service from the Muslim woman you mentioned." -2010

" The lovely Muslim lady behind the counter is always pleasant to me." -2012

(You must have fallen in LOVE with that "Muslim" woman, which I never saw! she with you maybe to, that is why you get such a lovely-service from her!wink.png)

-ALFREDO-

"I must say, I saw no MUSLIM looking woman around the office. One a bit Pum Pui lady was at the entrance counter

and a young, more skinny lady was behind the window where you apply for the Visas.Nobody looked, as he was a Muslim to me.wai.gif"

http://www.thaivisa....a-in-singapore/

So, -Daam Naam- you are, as it seems a good Christian and one of their principles is,

-Got hit on the cheek, present to him the other cheek also.-

Sorry Fred,

Been a practicing Buddhist for the last 20 odd years now. No idea what you are ranting on about.

All I know is what myself and other friends have experienced in Singapore, and that is...no problems whatsoever. And yes the lady that takes you documents for your visa is Muslim, it's a Sari she is wearing, not a Burkha. And she is lovely. Probably just doesn't like bad attitudes.thumbsup.gif

With that there is no need for a visa; as extensions of stay are available inside Thailand for only 1,900 baht per year. Totally over the top for a visa application and this Consulate does not even say this is just for multi entry: for a single entry most Consulates do not require anything more than the normal non immigrant visa issue requirement of 20k baht in cash if asked.

• Like 1

(Non Immigrant 0 visa requirements) spouse.

This is from the Thai embassy , Singapore's website, not 30 seconds ago.

And it's been this way for the last few years.

Required documents are:

4. Copy of Airline ticket or confirmation slip with flight number date of entry

5. Copy of Marriage Certificate, Passport and Identity Card of Thai spouse

(Copies of documents must be signed by Thai Spouse)

6. Letter from Thai spouse

Your Interest?

But not mine, as I am not married and not retired, but have children with even 2 Thai women!

So, I need a different Non Immigrant -O-.

Been a practicing Buddhist for the last 20 odd years now. No idea what you are ranting on about.

Probably just doesn't like bad attitudes.thumbsup.gif

First paragraph,

if you want to know read the Bible, but my statements showed it already clearly.

I got verbal hit in the face in the Singaporean Thai-Consular section and I reacted with that thread and others in other forums.

Not, that that will bother them, but I feel better!wink.png

Second paragraph,

You do not know me, I am a very friendly, reasonable man and diplomatic in my, responds, (Most times.)

The unfriendly "attitude" came from the women.sad.png

usually drop on morning of the one day pick up afternoon of the next

I have obtained Visa from there 3 times, and it has always been the next day. Never, ever had a problem there. As for Phnon Pehn - avoid, avoid!!!!

• Like 1

First paragraph,

if you want to know read the Bible, but my statements showed it already clearly.

I got verbal hit in the face in the Singaporean Thai-Consular section and I reacted with that thread and others in other forums.

Second paragraph,

You do not know me, I am a very friendly, reasonable man and diplomatic in my, responds, (Most times.)

First paragraph,

Second paragraph,

I don't read children's stories, only to my children at night.tongue.png

And you are responsible for your own "attitude" can't blame anyone else, sorry.

And yes, I'm married so it's the visa I need here.

I have to go to Singapore every year for other business so it's a matter of convenience to me too.

good luck with your attitude adjustment...thumbsup.gif

I don't read children's stories, only to my children at night.tongue.png

And you are responsible for your own "attitude" can't blame anyone else, sorry.

And yes, I'm married so it's the visa I need here.

I have to go to Singapore every year for other business so it's a matter of convenience to me too.

good luck with your attitude adjustment...thumbsup.gif

You call me a liar! Ok, that conversation ends now!

When I write the women had been unfriendly, than they had been! Have you been there?

You, are just, TING TONG in your respond!!

Uneducated, unfriendly and unreasonable too! Please do not bother me anymore with your BS! kopfpatsch.gif

If somebody want to deal with you, he should read that first.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/prescriptions-life/201201/dont-try-reason-unreasonable-people

• Like 1

I have frequently done my visa in Singapore and they are fast and efficient- Give them your documents during the morning and then pick up the following afternoon. Just returned from my last run 10 days ago. The greatest nuisance it that they are very strict about presenting copies of airline tickets for your Singapore departure and subsequent Thailand departure on or before the visa expiration date (saying that you plan to depart Thailand by bus is not acceptable- they want an airline ticket). I do not know whether they will let you use a departure date after the finish of the visa's initial 60 days- ie if you plan to get a 30 day extension on the visa it would be a good idea to ask them if a departure ticket within that time frame is acceptable.

Regarding double visas: The policy at Singapore is not to issue double visas.

They also will not issue a second visa within 6 months of their last one. However twice in the past I have been shown leniency on this- but a note was scribbled beneath the new stamp, something to the effect that this was a "last visa." Subsequently returning after 6 months they issued another visa without a problem. Walk across stamps from Maesai-Tachileik border do not seem count in their figuring and will not be a problem even if you apply for a visa just two weeks after an exit and entry in that venue. (BTW the Maesai crossing is no longer limited to only two times as it was for awhile).

Other stuff: If there is a large queue, there is frequently a woman that will pass along the line to verify that your papers are in order and will accurately advise you of any deficiencies thus saving you the time of a long wait. I do not know what happened with 'fstarbkk' but would be inclined to believe that his attitude was likely a catalyst for his problem. Same with 'koolbreez.' Something is missing from that story. I see people on that que with a few days growth on their faces and looking as though they picked what they were wearing out of a garbage dumpster and they pass without a problem. I have noted however that if an applicant displays a hint of belligerence, whichever woman that is attending the window will turn real sour, real fast.

They are a real stickler for the details in Singapore but get all your ducks in a row, be polite and you should have no problems.

+1. Mirrors my experience there last week. The Muslim lady even called my hotel to inform me that I did not include my flight itinerary out of Singapore and back to Thailand. Brilliant considering I had only put the name of my hotel on the application and not the number. She had found the number on her own.

• Like 1

I have had nothing but the opposite in all the years I've been going to Singapore for my non-imm O. The lovely Muslim lady behind the counter is always pleasant to me.

+1

You can read my full report here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/597332-trip-report-non-b-obtained-in-singapore/#entry5835018

I got a double entry non imm visa there a year or so ago... the lady was lovely - (she was Indian), and said to me..."why don't you get the quadruple entry visa?"... which surprised me bit, (I didn't need one was the reply, but it was nice of her to inquire). What you give is what you get. Next day service... can't complain.

Edited by mojorison
  • Like 1

I have frequently done my visa in Singapore and they are fast and efficient- Give them your documents during the morning and then pick up the following afternoon. Just returned from my last run 10 days ago. The greatest nuisance it that they are very strict about presenting copies of airline tickets for your Singapore departure and subsequent Thailand departure on or before the visa expiration date (saying that you plan to depart Thailand by bus is not acceptable- they want an airline ticket). I do not know whether they will let you use a departure date after the finish of the visa's initial 60 days- ie if you plan to get a 30 day extension on the visa it would be a good idea to ask them if a departure ticket within that time frame is acceptable.

Regarding double visas: The policy at Singapore is not to issue double visas.

They also will not issue a second visa within 6 months of their last one. However twice in the past I have been shown leniency on this- but a note was scribbled beneath the new stamp, something to the effect that this was a "last visa." Subsequently returning after 6 months they issued another visa without a problem. Walk across stamps from Maesai-Tachileik border do not seem count in their figuring and will not be a problem even if you apply for a visa just two weeks after an exit and entry in that venue. (BTW the Maesai crossing is no longer limited to only two times as it was for awhile).

Other stuff: If there is a large queue, there is frequently a woman that will pass along the line to verify that your papers are in order and will accurately advise you of any deficiencies thus saving you the time of a long wait. I do not know what happened with 'fstarbkk' but would be inclined to believe that his attitude was likely a catalyst for his problem. Same with 'koolbreez.' Something is missing from that story. I see people on that que with a few days growth on their faces and looking as though they picked what they were wearing out of a garbage dumpster and they pass without a problem. I have noted however that if an applicant displays a hint of belligerence, whichever woman that is attending the window will turn real sour, real fast.

They are a real stickler for the details in Singapore but get all your ducks in a row, be polite and you should have no problems.

I didn't see any problems wih the "Muslim lady" behind the counter, she was firm but fair. But I thought the lady checking documents was overly rude and abrupt to several people when I was there Nov. 16th. One guy was a decently dressed caucasian guy, that wasn't even in the room 3 minutes.

For all the BS, I would just as soon spend some extra time and money and go back to Australia and take my chances.

Edited by beechguy
  • Like 1

@ Fredo, I know your pissed off because your brother Michael Corelone got the top job and not you. lol

I have no brother and never heard something about a "Michael Corelone" nixweiss.gif

Poor attempt, tomato2.gif Not only "unreasonable" but "evil" to!blink.png

Unreasonable ones:

"People who make subtly or overtly demeaning comments or say-write, cutting things to you disguised as a "joke" coffee1.gif

More here, http://www.psycholog...asonable-people

Edited by ALFREDO
  • Like 1

@ Fredo, I know your pissed off because your brother Michael Corelone got the top job and not you. lol

I have no brother and never heard something about a "Michael Corelone" nixweiss.gif

Unreasonable ones:

"People who make subtly or overtly demeaning comments or say-write, cutting things to you disguised as a "joke" coffee1.gif

Hmm..interesting. Moral is don't use a movie reference with someone that doesn't watch movies, else it might be taken the wrong way, as it was here. I do like that link though. Reminds me of a number people.

I didn't see any problems wih the "Muslim lady" behind the counter, she was firm but fair. But I thought the lady checking documents was overly rude and abrupt to several people when I was there Nov. 16th. One guy was a decently dressed caucasian guy, that wasn't even in the room 3 minutes.

For all the BS, I would just as soon spend some extra time and money and go back to Australia and take my chances.

Thank you for your informative posting -beechguy-

I had very good experiences with the Thai Consular section in Vientiane,

easy, reachable and inexpensive with Air Asia and Nok Air to Udon Thani,

65 km from border.

Savannaketh to, good critics, but not so easy to come there if you are not from Isaan, with plane, not so cheap.wink.png .

Phnom Penh Thai Embassy-Consular section, also a possibility,

even from Sihanoukville with Travel Agencies - Visa Services (Anna's, Anns? travel) which work convenient, you can relax on the beach,

if time and some days more, is no big factor. biggrin.png

Unreasonable ones:

Hmm..interesting. Moral is don't use a movie reference with someone that doesn't watch movies, else it might be taken the wrong way, as it was here. I do like that link though. Reminds me of a number people.

555, hilarious.