Trip Report: Non B Obtained In Singapore.

I just got back from Singapore after getting a new Non-immigrant business visa. I went to Singapore because I heard it was easier. No Wp3 reciept or letter from labor dept. needed. Another employee from the same company I will be working for had the exact same paperwork I had and was just denied a Non-B visa at Penang last week.

It was very very easy overall, and not as expensive as one might think. Everything is in English and everyone speaks English. I kept thinking how it looked like America if the Chinese and Indians had invaded. RT flights can be found from Phuket for as little as 3500B if you book early with Jetstar or Tiger. You can also take the train for around 1000B one way 2nd class sleeper. Closest stop to Phuket is Surithani, and buses run from Phuket to Surathani. It is possible to take a train to Singapore from as far north as Chang Mai.

The commuter trains in Singapore (MRT) are cheap, clean, easy and efficient. Most trips on the MRT are $1-$2SGD. Not including a $1 deposit you get back when you return the magnetic card. I stayed at one of the Hotel 81's in the Geylang area (there are several http://www.hotel81.com.sg/) They run about 1500B per night. They are a short MRT ride from the airport and the Thai embassy. There are also very basic hostels in the same area for 300B a night.

From the Chengri Airport take the green line (east-west line) towards Joo Koon (only way to go) change trains at Teneh Merah (10 steps across platform) again, going towards Joo Koon. This is the way to anything in town. To get to the Hotel 81's you de-board at Aljenuid. 2 blocks south and 2 blocks west are several budget hotels, including the Hotel 81's. It also appears to be a red light district, but being Singapore, it's pretty mild.

To get to the Thai embassy from Aljenuid MRT station, take the Green line again towards Joo Koon, transfer at City Hall to the red line going towards Jurong East. Get off at the Orchard station. Orchard area is a major shopping area with several large hotels. The Thai Embassy, a large compound, is just 3 blocks west of the the station, across the street from the Hilton (And Wendy's!, and California Pizza Kitchen!!). You will need to use the underpass that goes under Patterson Rd towards Wheelock Plaza to get there, which is an underground maze of high end shops and restaurants. I got lost twice. Entrance to the embassy is in the rear. Visa applications are accepted starting at 915 am until 1130 am. Picked up the following day between 2pm and 3pm. (Not 430pm anymore). 100SGD Fee for single entry. Check both Thai and Singaporean public holidays before you go.

Turns out I had forgotten to include an onward ticket out of Singapore into Thailand ( Stated rule was ambiguous as to what ticket they wanted: 7. Airline ticket or confirmation slip with flight number and date of entry/exit.) http://www.thaiembas...migrant-visa-b I did not give them a phone number for my hotel and so was surprised to have a message waiting for me when I returned. They wanted me to fax my flight/train/bus ticket out of SIngapore into Thailand. )I assume the embassy official Googled my hotel or called information to get the number.) So I used a free online fax service to fax it from my laptop. Sorted.

One possibly Eastern European guy in line in front of me that I assume was there to get another tourist visa was getting the third degree from a woman at a pre-screening desk placed half way along the line. He appeared to be missing an onward ticket. She kept asking him "why do you want to stay in Thailand so long? What do you do there?" She finally gave him a pre-printed list of requirements and told him not to come back until he had all the things on the list.

http://www.thaiembassy.sg

singapore_mrt.png

Edited by NomadJoe

You made an edit to the topic I got via email, but I don't see it here. I just wanted to say it appears Singapore is strict in their requirements.

So what is the advantage of using the Singapore Thai embassy? Are there any honorary consulates within Singapore? If so, why isn't anyone using them instead of the main embassy?

And was that a single entry or multiple entry non-B?

Edited by 4evermaat

You made an edit to the topic I got via email, but I don't see it here. I just wanted to say it appears Singapore is strict in their requirements.

So what is the advantage of using the Singapore Thai embassy? Are there any honorary consulates within Singapore? If so, why isn't anyone using them instead of the main embassy?

Why would they have a consulate? u can get form one end of Singapore to the other in 45 minutes

I don't remember what I edited, other than change the map as it didn't display properly in the original post. No consulate I am aware of. Geographically Singapore is the size of Koh Phuket.

It was for a new company which with I am getting a new work permit, so they gave me a single entry (90 day) non-b.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for bumping an old thread.

Tomorrow I should be receiving my new non-B at 2:00pm.

UNFORTUNATELY (sigh) my company booked my flight out at 3:55pm.

What is the fastest way to get to Changi? Taxi or MRT?

Would a taxi get stuck in traffic, and how much would you expect it to cost during that time?

I am actually considering sprinting to Orchard MRT Station instead.

Also, does the visa pickup involve queuing again or is it straight show receipt and go? I will need every minute I have tomorrow.

Thanks very much, hope you understand my thoughts.

You are very tight in terms of timing. I suggest you take a taxi from where you stay and tell the taxi driver to send you to the Thai Embassy, ask him to wait for you outside, you run in to pick up your visa, and off you go to the airport.

Try to be at the embassy at 2pm sharp and you should be the first few in line to collect your visa, hopefully in less than ten minutes. It takes about half an hour and costs about SGD20 to go to the airport from the Thai Embassy. There are many surcharges to take a taxi in Singapore, however, between 1000h-1700h, there should be no surcharge as it is consider off-peak hours, and it's the cheapest rate to take a taxi at that time.

Alternatively, you may choose to take a taxi after you collect your visa but I do not advise that in the interest of time. There is a ruling that the taxi cannot stop nor pick up passengers anywhere on the road in that area. You have to go to the nearest taxi stand and god knows where is it! Even when you find it, what if there is a long queue?

Good luck mate and bon voyage!

Big thanks to Foxhound.

I waited at the Embassy from 1:30 before the gates opened at 2:00, was second in line. Was able to get out of there by 2:05 with my passport and hail a cab passing by. I actually made it to Changi by 2:40, breezed through customs, and had about an hour to kill. Didn't expect that!

Overall, I had no problems with my visa run in Singapore, would do it again. Enjoyed the weather, cleanliness, and blend of Asian cultures.

Employee at the window was the muslim woman that other TV members have mentioned.

My advice to anyone heading to Singapore for a visa run is to strictly follow the requirements as listed on thaiembassy.sg and you'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Big thanks to Foxhound. I waited at the Embassy from 1:30 before the gates opened at 2:00, was second in line. Was able to get out of there by 2:05 with my passport and hail a cab passing by. I actually made it to Changi by 2:40, breezed through customs, and had about an hour to kill. Didn't expect that! Overall, I had no problems with my visa run in Singapore, would do it again. Enjoyed the weather, cleanliness, and blend of Asian cultures. Employee at the window was the muslim woman that other TV members have mentioned. My advice to anyone heading to Singapore for a visa run is to strictly follow the requirements as listed on thaiembassy.sg and you'll be fine.

Was this for a single entry or multiple entry? and what category visa?

• 2 weeks later...

NomadJoe thanks for this report. Does anyone have a recommendation as to which hotel81 is best with regards location (embassy / airport) and internet (wired?). I have emailed the group but the replies aren't helpful. Many thanks for anyone who knows and can recommend!

Edited by OxfordWill

• 6 months later...

Can anyone confirm that Singapore dont require wp3 or Letter of approval from Labour?

I registered a 2 million THB company , 4 staff and I have big problem getting Non B visa 3 months beacuse Labour dont want to issue the Letter or accept my apply for work permit because I stay/ed in Thailand. I stayed on Tourist visa and ED for 3 years now.

Can anyone give me advice how to do?

I know I should leave Thailand and let my partner apply for me and wait minimum 7 days but that cost both time and money. So if anyone now a embassy or consulate where they can approve without above mention paperwork I would be grateful.

Please pm if you know anything

Im from Sweden and not close to 50.

Thanks!

Good Post

Just for the benefit of anyone new to Chaing Mai no one will be taking a train to Singapore or even Den Chai until the tracks are repaired.

It is an intersting trek I did myself on vacation.

C Mai to Bang Sue

Bang Sue to butterworth in Malaysia where we had a few nights

Butterworth to Kl (tho bs twice as fast on excellent Malay Highways

Final leg KL night sleeper in own little box was only around $20

The old train Station downtown closed so alight at Woodlands for immigration and assport and there taxi or bus to the subway

• 1 year later...

That is uncanny, I had the exact same experience in Singapore a few weeks ago even down to staying in Geylang. I had a call from the embassy at my hotel and had to fax the flight confirmation to them. They would not accept an email so I had to email it to the hotel reception and they had to print it off and then fax it to the embassy. What a nonsense. I told the embassy of course I was coming back to Thailand otherwise why would I be going through all the paperwork if I had no intention of coming back, but they have boxes to tick no matter how illogical.

I don't remember what I edited, other than change the map as it didn't display properly in the original post. No consulate I am aware of. Geographically Singapore is the size of Koh Phuket.

It was for a new company which with I am getting a new work permit, so they gave me a single entry (90 day) non-b.

You will only get 90 day Visa with or without workpermit