Tourist Visa Validity To Usa

I've searched the Bangkok American Embassy website and so far am unable to find how long a tourist visa for a Thai National is valid. :o

Reason for my search is that I would like to apply for a tourist Visa for my wife next month (March) when I travel to Bangkok for my annual extension of stay (support Thai wife) at Thai immigration. However I don't plan to travel to the USA until later this year, maybe September/October.

Anybody know how long a tourist visa is valid....once issued? :D

Currently, a US tourist visa's maximum validity is up to 10 years. It may be less but not more. How long a tourist can stay in the US during each visit is determined by the Immigration Officer at the port of entry, can be up to six months.

I assume you do not live in the US and that will be made evident in her application. Expect she will be issued the normal 10 year validity visa. Remember that visa remains valid even if passport expires (just show the two). As said they will ask about visit at entry and normally stamp six months for stay.

Thanks all for the replies. I guess my question came about because I seemed to recall in my previous life/previous wife :o (10+ years ago) that the visa at that time was only good for six months...ie. had to be used within six months. Anyway, sounds good at this point and I'll proceed from there. Thanks again. :D

I am guessing you are wondering how long you have before the visa must be used --rather than how long the visa is good for.

So far, it seems no one has answered that question, is there a "use by" date?

I am guessing you are wondering how long you have before the visa must be used --rather than how long the visa is good for.

Use by the expiration date - 10 years for the 10 year visa.

You have to use the visa within a year of them granting it. She can then stay for up to 6 months at a time. I am preparing to do battle with them guy's soon :o so good luck and be ready to stand in line. A really long line.

That is news to me. Can you please provide a source. Thanks.

This is what the Department of State says (highlight mine):

What Does the Visa Expiration Date Mean?

The visa expiration date is shown on the visa. Depending on the alien’s nationality, visas can be issued for any number of entries, from as little as one entry to as many as multiple (unlimited) entries, for the same purpose of travel.

This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel for the same purpose, when the visa is issued for multiple entry.

Indeed sbk, that is/was my question. I only plan to visit in the US for 2 or 3 weeks, so the time (looks like six months?) the visa allows my wife to remain in the US is not my issue. My concern was if I apply for the tourist visa next month and it is approved, will the visa still be valid seven or 8 months later, when I actually plan to travel.

In addition, interestingly the new process of applying and getting an "appointment" on line (internet) seems like it should shorten the "long line" wait at the embassy. Guess I'm "hoping" so, but not particularly optimistic about that. :o