Thais Down The Visa-free List

george

For Brits and Irish another country is Kenya. I've just come back from there. Don't know why.

Looks like the yanks need one for Kenya as well so assuming they dont need the "chitty" for Turkey there is still another that we pizzed off..... :o

FYI...

Nationals of the following countries do not need visas to travel to Kenya:

Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Botswana, Brunei-Darussalam, Cyprus, Dominica, Ethiopia, Fiji Islands, Gambia, The, Ghana, Grenada, Jamaica, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Maldives, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, San Marino, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, St Lucia, St Vincent & The Grenadines, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Turkey, Tuvalu, Uganda, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Zambia, Zimbabwe :D

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rinrada I have no idea whatsoever how many Thais want to go there -

Although Thai Airways must see some poential to merit their

new service to Moscow.........

But apart from that - you are missing the point ...........

Russia' s visa and entry system is still a bit like the old USSR days

and they are fiercly protective of their borders.

Its a much more involved process to get a visa to go there than

to the USA.

The fact that they have dropped their guard for the

citizens of one country ( whether or not those

citizens choose to travel there ot not ) I think represents

a significant achievement for the Foregin

Affairs Department of Thailand.

For Brits and Irish another country is Kenya. I've just come back from there. Don't know why.

Looks like the yanks need one for Kenya as well so assuming they dont need the "chitty" for Turkey there is still another that we pizzed off..... :o

FYI...

Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Botswana, Brunei-Darussalam, Cyprus, Dominica, Ethiopia, Fiji Islands, Gambia, The, Ghana, Grenada, Jamaica, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Maldives, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, San Marino, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, St Lucia, St Vincent & The Grenadines, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Turkey, Tuvalu, Uganda, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Zambia, Zimbabwe :D

You will have to add the USA to the list of countries needing a visa :

Ordinary  passport holders of nationals of the following

countries may obtain sticker type visas at the Turkish International Border Gates to enter

into Turkey

Type of Passport : Ordinary Passport

Duration of Stay : 3 Months

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Holland, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, Spain, United

Kingdom, United States of America

source: http://www.turizm.net/turkey/tips/visa.html

also:

http://www.mfa.gov.tr/MFA/ConsularInformat...on/visafees.htm

Gives a list of visa fees and duration of stay.

So we are back to Square one again.....

U.S. nationals can visit 130 countries without a VISA

UK/Irish can only visit 128 countries without a VISA...so what/where are the missing 2 .......?

Answers as usual in a sealed brown envelope to Kofi Annan at the UN ....Dept of..... :o

FYI...

You will have to add the USA to the list of countries needing a visa :

Ordinary passport holders of nationals of the following

countries may obtain sticker type visas at the Turkish International Border Gates to enter

into Turkey

Type of Passport : Ordinary Passport

Duration of Stay : 3 Months

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Holland, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, Spain, United

Kingdom, United States of America

source: http://www.turizm.net/turkey/tips/visa.html

also:

http://www.mfa.gov.tr/MFA/ConsularInformat...on/visafees.htm

Gives a list of visa fees and duration of stay.

It's only visa on arrival, you don't need to get one before travel.

So for the Brits it seems it's Kenya and Uganda that we can't get a visa on arrival? Why would anyone want to go to Uganda?

So we are back to Square one again.....

U.S. nationals can visit 130 countries without a VISA

UK/Irish can only visit 128 countries without a VISA...so what/where are the missing 2 .......?

Answers as usual in a sealed brown envelope to Kofi Annan at the UN ....Dept of..... :o

Finland (130)

Denmark (130)

United States (130)

Ireland (129)

Sweden (129)

Germany (129)

United Kingdom (128)

Italy (128)

France (128)

Japan (128)

The way I see it there, there's only one missing for the Irish. 2 for Brits.

Who is the one that we have pi**ed off and not them, may be somewhere to start.

redrus

How many Thais would you recon actually wish to go to Russia...eh...C"mon? :o

I doubt the agreement is to benefit Thai's or Thailand. It now just makes it easier for the Russian Mafia to fly in and oversee their investments in Pattaya, and makes it easier for their ho's to come by the planeload and 'work' here.

Zimbabwe Visa Requirements

'Visas, all visitors require a valid passport to enter the country'

CHANGES ARE MADE ALMOST ON A DAILY BASIS, PLEASE CONTACT YOU NEAREST ZIMBABWE EMBASSY FOR MORE ACCURATE VISA POSTING AND UPDATES

Passports: Passport valid from date of entry required by all.

Nationals of the following countries do not need visas to visit Zimbabwe:

NB* provided holding tickets and documents for return or onward travel and sufficient funds for their stay

Aruba, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, Cayman Islands, Cyprus, Fiji, Grenada, Guyana, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Leeward Islands, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Montserrat, Namibia, Nauru, Norway, St Kitts & Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent & the Grenadines, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Western Samoa and Zambia;

(what have those vikings been up to?)

Nationals of the following countries will be issued a visa on payment at port of entry valid for up to 90 days:

Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Cook Islands, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana (gratis visa), Greece, Iceland, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea (Rep), Kuwait, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Palau, Palestinian Authority Region, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Seychelles, South Africa (gratis visa), Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, USA, US Virgin Islands and Vatican City.

So we are BOTH still in there :o

The Turks require Brits to have visas purely for reasons of reciprocity. The UK government stuck a visa regime on them, and they returned the compliment.

As Sierra 01 alluded to, you have to define what is meant by a visa. Generally speaking, a visa is something that is obtained from an embassy prior to travelling to the host country. The 30 days a Brit tourist gets in Thailand is neither a visa nor a visa on arrival, but just a stamp which grants permission to stay.

Scouse.

all countries except bhutan, nepal ,maldives etc needs visa to visit india. For brits it was not required until britain makes it visa required for indians. Indira Gandhi made reciprocal laws thereby requiring all brits and other commonweath countries visa to visit India

all countries except bhutan, nepal ,maldives etc needs visa to visit india. For brits it was not required until britain makes it visa required for indians. Indira Gandhi made reciprocal laws thereby requiring all brits and other commonweath countries visa to visit India

And in the meantime, Australia requires everyone, except New Zealanders, to obtain a visa before travel to Australia.

In the world of recpriocity, we don't do too badly out of such a policy.

Zimbabwe Visa Requirements

'Visas, all visitors require a valid passport to enter the country'

CHANGES ARE MADE ALMOST ON A DAILY BASIS, PLEASE CONTACT YOU NEAREST ZIMBABWE EMBASSY FOR MORE ACCURATE VISA POSTING AND UPDATES

Passports: Passport valid from date of entry required by all.

Nationals of the following countries do not need visas to visit Zimbabwe:

NB* provided holding tickets and documents for return or onward travel and sufficient funds for their stay

Aruba, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, Cayman Islands, Cyprus, Fiji, Grenada, Guyana, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Leeward Islands, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Montserrat, Namibia, Nauru, Norway, St Kitts & Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent & the Grenadines, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Western Samoa and Zambia;

(what have those vikings been up to?)

Nationals of the following countries will be issued a visa on payment at port of entry valid for up to 90 days:

Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Cook Islands, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana (gratis visa), Greece, Iceland, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea (Rep), Kuwait, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Palau, Palestinian Authority Region, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Seychelles, South Africa (gratis visa), Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, USA, US Virgin Islands and Vatican City.

So we are BOTH still in there :o

I could get a bad mark from the moderator if I went on and on about Zimbabwe, except to say there are serious issues concerning the whole business of visas, worldwide, which need rational debate.

I view the UK system is too based on subjective judgements by ECOs who seem empowered not just to apply rules, but make them up as they go along. The key problem is the 'intention to return' requirement, with negligible guidance on what is required as evidence, as often it seems to amount to being the right age and sometimes sex.

I was impressed by a document I found on the website of the Oz embassy in Moscow. This gives a coherent rationale of how applications are considered with this same criterion in mind. The application forms of Oz and actually South Africa look far more professionally designed to help officers come to an objective judgment.

We shall see what happens soon in the light of the review of UK immigration now in hand.

Why my interest in Zim? I have a Zimbabwean friend, although she's just received a SA study permit. The demand for a visa to visit Zim from UK citizens was a tit-for-tat after the UK imposed visas in December 2002, because of the exodus to the UK, including asylum claims and many seeking ARV treatment. The UK Government's policy on everything has unfortunately become totally based on establishing targets, often to pacify the press, especially reducing claims for asylum (so-called bogus and otherwise), but public attitudes are changing in my view. The 'risk' of overstaying, I think, is a red herring, as thousands of Oz and SAs, I understand, overstay without any complaint, (except perhaps some pubbers in Earls Court, when there's a rugby match on!)

I'm concerned about the ethos of the Home Office, and a report last week described the poor accounts which were not passed by the auditor, the cause probably being incompetence rather than fraud. When the, now ex-, Permanent Secretary was asked about his main concern, it was not about child slavery, traffickers or legitimate concerns of number, and attendant deaths of those trying to reach the UK in some cases, but solely about reducing the number of overstayers.

I'd have also thought the right department to come to a proper judgment about the situation in countries of origin was the FCO, not a 'country unit' in the HO. The latter's recent visit to Zim, and its report, was frankly a disgrace, and was fiercely criticised by the judge in a recent case.

Why did someone mention Zimbabwe, getting me going like this instead of going to bed?

And Norway is not in the EU which might be an explanation. M'm, must check if Zims need visas to go to Norway. I suspect they do.

Edited by Cool Water Palace

I could get a bad mark from the moderator if I went on and on about Zimbabwe, except to say there are serious issues concerning the whole business of visas, worldwide, which need rational debate..

wouldnt worry too much about that since I am sure that we all agree that the WORLDWIDE business of visas is pretty flawed.............however..rational debate...yes...conflict ..No... :o

something slightly realted to topic from todays Murdoch rag....

EU praises Britain's 'open doors' policy

By Anthony Browne, Brussels Correspondent(with thanks)

OTHER Western European countries have been urged to follow Britain’s example and open their labour markets to workers from Eastern Europe.

The European Commission said that Britain’s economy had benefited from the influx of new workers since EU enlargement in 2004.

Britain was one of only three countries — the others are the Irish Republic and Sweden — that allowed Eastern Europeans full access to their labour markets. All other countries put up various restrictions out of fear that native employees would be undermined by a flood of cheap workers from the former communist countries, epitomised in France by the “Polish plumber”.

Vladimir Spidla, the Employment Commissioner and former Prime Minister of the Czech Republic, dismissed these fears, declaring that the flow of workers to Britain and Ireland had been too small to displace native workers; rather it had boosted economic growth. Individual countries and Europe as a whole had benefited, he said.

The Commission’s report said: “There was no evidence of a surge in either numbers of workers or welfare expenditure following enlargement.” It said that ,the proportion of workers from Eastern Europe in the old EU had tripled since enlargement, but only from 0.1 per cent of the workforce to 0.3 per cent.

In Britain, more than 290,000 Eastern Europeans had registered for work since enlargement, representing 0.8 per cent of the workforce.

The majority of these have found work. Numbers arriving are more than 20 times higher than the Government’s initial predictions, but the Home Office believes that accession workers are helping to fill critical gaps in the labour market, while making few demands on the welfare system or public services.

MIGRANTS FROM EASTERN EUROPE

Countries with no restrictions

Britain: 290,695

Ireland: 160,853

Sweden: 3,514 (2004 only)

Countries with restrictions

Germany: 500,633

Austria: 100,714

Italy: 75,778

Netherlands: 39,036

France: 9,916 (2004 only)

Denmark: 4911 (2004 only

• 8 months later...

Is there a list of these 29 countries that Thais can go to? Could make vacation planning easier for my older and country relatives with only one passport.

:o

Ok, anyone have the answer to Heng's question??? Regards, BD

I know of a few: Brazil, Chile, Peru, South Africa, South Korea, Hong Kong, Macau, Brunei, Singapore.

If she's got a US green card then a few more open up, including Switzerland and some countries in Central America.

It is possible that one of those countries is Turkey ...............

For some unknown reason, citizens from a number of European countries

don't require a Visa to enter Turkey whereas British subjects

do require one ? I have no idea why this is the case -would be

interested to know why if anyone knows ?

I can't remember the year offhand right now, but I can explain why U.S. citizens needed a Visa to enter Turkey. It comes from the fact that the a fee for Turkish citizens was enacted for entrance to the U.S. Therefore the Turkish government also set a fee for entrance to Turkey for U.S. citizens to reciprocate. I was there when it started. I would guess it was either 1994 or 1995.

All that happened in practice was that instead of having a Visa On Arrival stamp put in your passport

you had to go to a immigration booth, pay ten dollars (I think it was ten dollars), then go back to the arrival immigration queue with the reciept, and they would stamp your passport.

The whole point was that if Turks had to pay to enter the U.S. then U.S. citizens had to pay to enter Turkey. Haven't been there since 1998, so I don't know how it works now.

:D

thais have a habit of not going home after!

in fact if they were high up the list there woudnt be many thais left in LOS as they would all be working away somewhere else so i suppose its a good thing really .

towns and villages would be devoid of any humanity ,just grannies and babies.

There is a very good reason why Thailand is so far down the list.

Kindly show us the light in telling us what this very good reason might be in your honest opinion?

They overstay.

I have been told that the visa problem for Thai in Europe is the large number of young women working in the sex industry.

No! Really?? :D I would never have guessed!! And there was me thinking that it was just a coincidence that there were so many Thais advertising themselves for various "services" in UK, Germany etc... :o

I think Mongolia is one of them. Americans generally don't need a visa, but almost all other nationalities do.

could columbia or mexico or arginteena be the other ones ????? got to be part of the america's i would guess

No, neither US or UK Nationals require a visa for those countries. Mongolia is one of the countries US citizens can visit without a visa, whilst UK citizens require a visa.

Edited by konangrit

Is there a list of these 29 countries that Thais can go to? Could make vacation planning easier for my older and country relatives with only one passport.

Ok, anyone have the answer to Heng's question??? Regards, BD

I know of a few: Brazil, Chile, Peru, South Africa, South Korea, Hong Kong, Macau, Brunei, Singapore.

If she's got a US green card then a few more open up, including Switzerland and some countries in Central America.

Liberia also, which is one up on most other nationalities, as only Korea, Israel, and countries in the Economic Community Of West African States enjoy visa free entry to Liberia.

I think Mongolia is one of them. Americans generally don't need a visa, but almost all other nationalities do.

could columbia or mexico or arginteena be the other ones ????? got to be part of the america's i would guess

No, neither US or UK Nationals require a visa for those countries. Mongolia is one of the countries US citizens can visit without a visa, whilst UK citizens require a visa.

But Mongolia gets cancelled out by Paraguay, US citizens need a visa, UK and a few others don't. Same for Gambia ... not as straightforward as it seems, at least 3 other countries US don't need Visa, but UK does. I give up, bored of looking now.

Edited by konangrit