New Years Eve Countdown In Cm

jabenna

Hello,

I live in Bangkok and have family coming over for New Year. We're going up to CM for a few days over New Year and just wondering what usually happens? I know there's street stalls and bars around the Tha Phae Gate and I've seen videos on You Tube.

Anyone know of good places to go for New Years Eve meal? Any places that do an exceptional buffet for example? We've normally been in the UK for countdown for have never experienced a Thai NYE before, so any ideas greatly appreciated.

One friend mentioned a big lake, maybe 30 minutes away, where there's music and fireworks... no more info than that I'm sorry. Anyone know where it could be?

Thank you in advance for any help :-)

Spent the last two new years in CM. Year one at Tha Phae Gate was nice. Not too crowded, could walk around OK, very pleasant. Year two, last year, was a zoo. Could hardly walk, people everywhere, as packed as a place can be. I doubt we will be doing it again this year.

Thapae Gate is the best place to be, join in with all the Thai's, you'll be most welcome and you'll also have fun. The weather is great at that time of year, maybe a light sweater as it gets a bit cool later in the evening. Don't waste your time stuck indoors eating, you can do that any time. Go out and have fun.

A little early for New Years. Yes there will be a show at Thai Pa gate as well as all over Chiang Mai, all you have to do is go up on the roof of any tall building and you will get a 360 degree fire works display.

As I said a little early to start planning if you are looking for a package deal buffet,entertainment and fire works show. You will start to hear about them in December. They can be expensive I saw one package at over 4,000 baht a head.

Don't know your wants or budget but I can assure you we will have it.

Thank you so much for all the replies and I realise I'm a little early - I'm a pyscho organiser haha.

I think the Tha Phae gate does look good, and I agree I think we'd rather be out there in the masses, than cooped up in a restaurant or hotel for the whole night. Also think it'd be something totally different.

Semper, we came for Songkran this April just gone actually, was really good fun, spent entire weekend drenched but having lots of fun :-)

Thank you all again for your advice, appreciate your time.