Arrrgh! Internet Connections In Hua Hin ...

Invader Zim

Hey guys,

Well, I landed in Hua Hin and I really dig the place. A little quiet, perhaps, but as others have said ... that's part of its charm.

In any event, I'm having a tough time finding an internet connection in a room/guesthouse/apartment.

I'll be working 8-9 hours a day online, so it would be nice to avoid internet cafes. That said, I believe someone mentioned that you could get a Wi-Fi card and tap into some coffee houses, (by the pool no less). That sounds doable ... if I must. Which might be the best ones?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be of great help, as I'm starting to pull out my hair trying to find a place that has internet access in the rooms.

Out of desperation, I've found a place somewhat to the south of Hua Hin... near some really tall buddha overlooking the beach. Can't remember the name of the area (Baan something or other), looks nice ... but it might be too quiet even for this guy.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

IZy

(ps I put the budget at around 10,000 baht/mo for a room/studio/whatever. I plan on staying for about a month initially, and if I like the area ... indefinitely.)

The standing, tall Buddha image is at the base of the mountain/point, Kao Takiab. The community that north from there to the Pranburi overpass encompasses "Baan Kao Takiab." There is a fairly good branch of Siamberg Internet across from the 7-11 store in the village, and they're nice folks. Commercially, though, they're not up to standards of the West (what internet in Thailand is, except maybe in Bangkok?).

Wi-Fi is available if you stay at places like Anantasila Resort at the south end of the cape, but you're not going to get much for 10K. PM me if you are willing to take something more basic, which you apparently are willing. What month are you coming?

Good luck with that, I'd be interested to know as well. I'm in the exact same situation - I need internet for 9-10 hours a day and going to Internet Cafe just isn't fun every day. I'm in Bangkok right now and heading to Pattaya because I couldn't find something in Hua-Hin/Cha-am that was reasonably priced with high speed internet access.

How high is high speed? I've got TOT ADSL, which says it's always running at 100 Mb/second, but I think that's just a label. Mine here at home seems a little faster, and a little more reliable, than the better internet shops around here, such as Sunshine and Siamberg. But if you want Western speeds, I don't know where in SE Asia you'd go.

(ps I put the budget at around 10,000 baht/mo for a room/studio/whatever. I plan on staying for about a month initially, and if I like the area ... indefinitely.)

Hi Izy, here's one from what looks like Condo Chain http://www.bahtsold.com/detail.php?id=15235 (almost on the beach, older condo bldng, across from the new shopping ctr more or less. Might suit.

If the guy isn't offering month to month, poke around at Condo Chain and you should be able to find something in a studio to suit. Pool and whatnot, great views but lack of direct phone/cable pre-empts adsl for temp stays. Some owners have a direct tel line and cable, gotta ask.

Maybe Peace Blondie knows if a wifi sig is available there- PB? Anyways, PB is on the ground and can no doubt give you the breakdown on wifi, other rentals etc. Good luck

I'm on the ground, but I don't cover much ground, unless I'm speeding away on my motorbike. I'm not even sure where CondoChain is. I suppose 'direct access to beach' means they're on the east side of the beach road. I'm amused that units on the other side of the road advertise "only 400 meters from the beach." That's not close.

I know that the Anantasila resort, on the south edge of Khao Takiab, has wi-fi that works, and sometimes the wi-fi works at Baan Napapan.

There are a lot of rental agencies in town that have units (condos and detached houses), but some are frightfully expensive, like 50,000 per month for three bedrooms. The bungalow types are too cheap to advertise. And agencies and some complexes want at least a three month lease.

Both posters here seem to want high-priced amenities like a superfast internet connection, in a modestly priced bungalow. It doesn't sound like a good combination. But if they stay far from the beach, prices might be lower.

Thanks everyone, for the feedback.

Actually, I already looked at that condo, B&S, and while nice ... no go. Mike's a great guy, but they informed me that getting an internet connection would be near impossible. Details are sketchy, but apparently everyone is hooked into 10 phone lines ... allowing about 10 minutes max.

No, this makes no sense to me either, but this is Thailand ... not the West.

My place in the South fell through. Nice family, but communication broke down quickly after they handed me a frayed wire and said "internet good".

I'm back in Tiengtong guesthouse now. The owners have graciously allowed me use of their internet connection 24/7, no cost, I think it's about as good as I can do currently.

I suspect that if I stay in Hua Hin, I'll probably rent a house (found a nice, clean, furnished, single bedroom for 6000 baht/month) and with the money I save, work out a deal with some internet cafe.

Not ideal, but I can adapt.

Best,

IZ

For me High-Speed means ADSL/Cable speed - nothing too fancy. Well I guess imma have to take the trip to Hua-Hin and see for myself. I personaly don't mind paying 35-40k Baht a month for a house where I can hook up ADSL.

It's just so hard trying to book everything in advance before going there... I guess I have no choice but make arrangements while i'm there.

The simple fact of the matter is that as you head West from Petchkasem Rd, the utilities become progressively worse.

You'll be really lucky to find a house with decent ADSL through TOT/TT&T or even CAT outside of the centre of town.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There...

The internet connection in HH won't get any better. Doesn't matter which provider you use.

ADSL connections are just Okay around here. Wi/Fi internet connections are avaiable at

- Sailom Pavillion near the City Beach Hotel. Free for 1hrs/day they don't have access cards for sale yet.

- Italay Cafe near the Esso gas station provide free Wi/Fi internet all day long

- Starbugs in town also provide Wi/Fi internet but you have to buy the access card from them. Cards from Bangkok are useless in this town. Ive tried them all.

Air Cards....Very handy around here. Speed is a bit slower than the dialup connection some time, some time is a bit faster. Infact its perfect for working. Not for gaming and vdo stuffs.

Hutch: Price around 12000 baht. You need to register with the company, need workpermit to apply.

Sierra Wireless Air Card: Dual band (DTAC & AIS) DTAC has 3 or 4 GPRS promotions you can choose...I'm using the unlimited for 30days for 1100 per month. Cant remember the rest. AIS charge 1bht per min no promotion. DTAC is working perfect for me here or even when im on the moving car.. No problem at all..

No idea about Hutch.

Hope this info might help

Hey, that info is of great help.

Where did you get the Sierra Air card from, and how much?

I never bothered with the Hutch card, Lately I've been using Sunshine (unlimited for 500 baht a month, but you need to be near a hotspot ... I'm still trying to track them all down), but it still would be nice to be able to work from my home.

Cheers!

Z.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the Hutch card for about a month. 4,500 down, 900 a month for unlimited use. Never been disconnected, but the speed can be pretty slow at times. Overall I'm happy. However, the Hutch shop in Hua Hin does not offer the card- you have to go to Petchburi (Big C mall) or BKK to buy one. I live on the 23rd floor, so getting a TOT / CAT line is out of the question.