Negotiating On New Suv (Paid In Cash)

We will be getting back to Bangkok in a couple of weeks, and need to buy a car. Fortunately, we'll be able to buy it outright, but I remember hearing that it's more difficult to negotiate with cash since no money is earned on interest. Is that a load of crap?

Secondly, I've found some great info on SUV's here...Thanks. We'll be test driving the Pajero, MU7, Fortuner, etc.. Any thoughts on those would be great. When are the 2013's being released?

Thirdly, I like heavily tinted windows to try and block the sun from getting in my kids' eyes. I know that "the law" in Thailand is highly negotiable, but does anyone know what the rules on window tints are?

Anyway, tips on how to negotiate for a new car here while paying in cash would be greatly appreciated.

Cash has become a dirty word for so many industries. Loan, interest on the loan, the ability to take the full amount (and even 10x) based on signature and invest.

Not just here, this has been true in England for a couple of decades. You with your cash are a party pooper ;-)

I have a MU7 but would have bought a PJS had stocks been available that said the the ICE in the Moo is far far superior to the non camera, non gps PJS. Have you considered the new Trailblazer?

Have a scroll through the driving forum for links to reviews, pictures and commentary on all 4 and definitely get yourself a test drive of those you're considering.

Sent from Android, please excuse errors in type or judgement.

If the particular dealership isn't involved in the financing, then 'cash' doesn't really mean anything because they get paid in full anyway. A cashier's check for the full price of the car either comes from your bank or the bank that you are taking out a loan from. The same for new homes and condos.

:-)

p.s. another story if the dealership (especially used car dealerships) is a money laundering front. Then they might want your actual 'bag o cash' and offer you a a better deal.

regards window tinting - a tip - for the front windscreen I had the dealer remove the majority of the tint as difficult to see clearly in the nighttime, just left the tint on the upper quarter of the windscreen to reduce sun glare.

Cash has become a dirty word for so many industries. Loan, interest on the loan, the ability to take the full amount (and even 10x) based on signature and invest.

Not just here, this has been true in England for a couple of decades. You with your cash are a party pooper ;-)

I have a MU7 but would have bought a PJS had stocks been available that said the the ICE in the Moo is far far superior to the non camera, non gps PJS. Have you considered the new Trailblazer?

Have a scroll through the driving forum for links to reviews, pictures and commentary on all 4 and definitely get yourself a test drive of those you're considering.

Thanks Jay. I'll definitely be test driving them, though I've heard that that can be a pain in the butt as well. I didn't have that problem a few years back when I bought my first Honda here, but it seems to be an issue now.

I've looked at the trailblazer, but I've always know Chevy's to be terrible cars down the road. They are like a fit but needy wife...later on she doesn't look so good and just needs maintenance all the time.

I have a MU7 but would have bought a PJS had stocks been available that said the the ICE in the Moo is far far superior to the non camera

I think I'll need an Android decoder app to decipher what that one means. However, I am leaning towards a Pajero as well.

regards window tinting - a tip - for the front windscreen I had the dealer remove the majority of the tint as difficult to see clearly in the nighttime, just left the tint on the upper quarter of the windscreen to reduce sun glare.

Good plan. I like being a bit incognito since being Mr. Whitey on the road has me sticking out like a sore thumb. However, safety first!

I would hazard a guess that the dealer gets a comission from the finance company.

Some places do give a discount but it's only on non popular or more expensive cars. The most we got offered from 4 dealers was 8,000 baht of a Lancer ex gt (not popular), tax and a tank of petrol and of course the oil. Endless bits of ugly plastic though. Yet to buy. The wife got 100,000 of a volvo v60.

If there's a waiting list on the car you'd probably be lucky to get anything in monetary terms just a load of the ugly plastic add ons. Wind deflectors, chromed plastic handles which they will tell you are aluminium some mats and wait for it.......... a number plate surround.

Whoopey do.

Edited by arthurwait

ICE is In Car Entertainment system. Aint acronyms wonderful.

2unique is correct, the PJS GT has a dated Alpine set up. The Camera and GPS can be added.

All of the pickup based SUV's have their pros and cons and you will probably pick a favourite when you look at them. Best way to buy is, pick the model you want and then negotiate extras and delivery with a few dealers. As other posters have said cash discounts are rare . Extras are pretty limited and some test drive cars are hard to find. I found Toyota to be the toughest to get test drives, extras and reasonable delivery but that is probably because the Fortuner is still so popular.

I think the Thai law still limits window tint to 40% but it is not enforced so no one takes any notice (at the moment). 60% side window tint is common but if you go for this or darker, avoid adding darkened side window deflectors. The combination creates a wide blind spot at the A pillar.

Good luck.

ICE is In Car Entertainment system.

So a Global Positioning system should be called a GP from here on out ;)

Nice advice on visiting a few dealers. From my last purchase, it seemed like they weren't used to people shopping around. It was a nice bargaining tool as I'd stretch (lied about) what other places offered to see what happened.

It sucks the Thai tax rebate doesn't apply to cars over 1 million...I'd have the wife buy her "first car."

Have you considered getting a car more suited toThai roads which you don't have to do 3 point turn to get out of a driveway?

If everyone in the world could be using just ten percent less gas the global price of oil would drop disproportionately more least 25 to 50% or more. Wouldn't that be nice for those who can,t afford as much as you?

Europe is doing their bit with punitive taxation.....wouldn't it be nice If the US and Thailand did the same.....or we simply use less ourselves?

FYI I drive a Vitara (and a Phantom). I could manage with less next time. I am over 6 ft 3in yet have inches of clear headroom and full legroom. It is way easier to park than a large SUV (average car king spaces by their nature are the size of average cars).

It would be lovely to have the luxury of a Range Rover or one of the cars you mention. But, without wishing to sound saintly, is it really quite necessary?

Just saying.......

Edited by cheeryble

Have you considered getting a car more suited toThai roads which you don't have to do 3 point turn to get out of a driveway?

If everyone in the world could be using just ten percent less gas the global price of oil would drop disproportionately more least 25 to 50% or more. Wouldn't that be nice for those who can,t afford as much as you?

Europe is doing their bit with punitive taxation.....wouldn't it be nice If the US and Thailand did the same.....or we simply use less ourselves?

FYI I drive a Vitara (and a Phantom). I could manage with less next time. I am over 6 ft 3in yet have inches of clear headroom and full legroom. It is way easier to park than a large SUV (average car king spaces by their nature are the size of average cars).

It would be lovely to have the luxury of a Range Rover or one of the cars you mention. But, without wishing to sound saintly, is it really quite necessary?

Just saying.......

Driving a Vitara you will be lucky to get 8km/ltr

Just saying.......

Driving a Vitara you will be lucky to get 8km/ltr

Actually it costs me 3.25 baht/km which I figure works out at 11km/ltr......still not great but I make up for it by doing half my mileage on the Phantom (not Rolls, Honda).

But is your point to suggest that the OP is buying an extra large SUV specially to be economical on fuel?

I am merely suggesting that no-one needs anything bigger than say a Vitara size SUV, or preferably a hatchback. Whatever the improved modern fuel economy of an extra large SUV the fact is it would be less if the car was smaller.

Don't get me wrong I've had two Jags and even a Daimler limousine (though oil was perhaps $20 a barrel). Just that I've realised what a difference a small reduction in gas consumption globally would mean, and I've had it with the lack of leadership from politicians.....this is exactly where government SHOULD be involved on all their citizens behalf. Downward price pressure would not only mean better lives for the less well off it would reduce some nations that get away with awful things because they are important oil producers.

Edited by cheeryble

With a wife, grandmother, two kids in car seats, and a large dog...a smaller car wouldn't cut it. When it was just a wife, baby, and large dog, we did just fine with a Jazz.

I don't commute to work, so the car is used for family outings, which usually requires many bags as well. If I had the money to get a hybrid SUV, I'd do that. However, "saving the world" vs. having a comfortable family...I'll take the selfish road, and I won't be ashamed about it one bit.

The thread is not about a green world, though I do appreciate your thoughts.

Edited by Skytrain2hell

With a wife, grandmother, two kids in car seats, and a large dog...a smaller car wouldn't cut it. When it was just a wife, baby, and large dog, we did just fine with a Jazz.

Is it possible Granny could have........errr......a little accident?

haha.

Despite the majority of mother in law relationships, I really like mine. She's a wonderful woman, and really good with the kids.

I don't commute to work, so the car is used for family outings, which usually requires many bags as well. If I had the money to get a hybrid SUV, I'd do that. However, "saving the world" vs. having a comfortable family...I'll take the selfish road, and I won't be ashamed about it one bit.

The thread is not about a green world, though I do appreciate your thoughts.

The obvious choice would be then the Pajero. Although, it has no "anchor points" for baby seats.

Nevertheless, Pajero has modulable seating which can be very well arranged, for instance to put in a dog cage (beware of the reduced visibility then).

As to the poster on fuel economy... well controling the way one drives helps to reduce the fuel impact.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by freemindxs

Hi Skytrain2hell

I would suggest that once you have finally decided on your make/model etc.right down to the last detail that you try to play the dealers of that brand off ..... one against another. As you visit each dealership always see the same sales person. (I"m still concidering buying from you .... but .....?)

Legend has it that the sales staff (& dealership) are sharper with the pencil as the end of month approaches.

Paying cash is of zero impact to the dealer ... but having no trade-in is! Obviously a dealership close to where you are living is important to you -- but no one else is aware of these details.

Most buyers give up on this project after their feet get tired -- so good luck! Stay strong.

Hi Skytrain2hell

I would suggest that once you have finally decided on your make/model etc.right down to the last detail that you try to play the dealers of that brand off ..... one against another. As you visit each dealership always see the same sales person. (I"m still concidering buying from you .... but .....?)

Legend has it that the sales staff (& dealership) are sharper with the pencil as the end of month approaches.

Paying cash is of zero impact to the dealer ... but having no trade-in is! Obviously a dealership close to where you are living is important to you -- but no one else is aware of these details.

Most buyers give up on this project after their feet get tired -- so good luck! Stay strong.

I have purchased two cars this year with cash, one from Ford and one from Mistubishi (PJS). Basically the deals were similar although with Ford they would not provide the 1 year of first class insurance unless you took the financing, for Mistubishi it did not matter as I still received the one year first class insurance while paying cash. With Ford both the finance and insurance were coming through Bangkok Bank so I guess that is the deal for them. Otherwise I don't think paying cash makes a big difference in terms of the deal you can get.

The freebies were otherwise similar, from memory:

First class insurance (on Mistubishi, not Ford)

Window tinting (60/40)

Rubber mats

Carpet mats

Rust proofing

Reversing camera (Mitsu)

Registration/compulsory third party insurance

1,000 baht fuel

Service plan

There were a few other things too but from memory I think they were trivial such as number plate frames and a few other shiny things.

Apart from the big dog I have a similar load, although 3 kids, one of which is still a baby. The Mitsu has been a great family wagon and I really appreciate the extra versatility inside when varying the configuration according to who turns up on the day. We have a baby seat that fixes into the normal seatbelts as most seem to do here, and it seems fine so I don't miss not having the extra anchor points.

In terms of tinting I had the same concerns with keeping the kids cool on long drives. I find 60/40 sufficient and it is still not too dark for driving at night and for dark car parks. Personally I wouldn't go any darker, and with 60/40 people on the outside still cannot see clearly inside the car.

Hi Skytrain2hell

Shopping around dealers is a good negotiating tool.

For common brands, dealer location is not important as services can be done at a different dealer from where the car was purchased.

Most dealers do not care about cash or trade ins.

• 2 weeks later...

So we took a look at the Fortuner (Toyota Rama 4) and the Pajero (Mitsubishi, Sathorn). Fortuner was nice, but felt a little too much like what it really is...a pickup. We had a great sales lady named May who was very upfront and helpful. I wasn't able to take it out for a test drive even though I have a valid Thai drivers license, but they let me turn it on in a parking lot (TIT). Left with a strong 3 star feeling about the Fortuner, and was even tempted to splurge for the top of the line version, which was north of 1.5 mb. All versions didn't come with first class insurance, but she could discount from 10-15kb.

We headed out to see the Pajero. The looks were pretty good, and it also seats 7. I liked sitting a bit higher up in it, and it felt a bit less like a pickup. I was able to take her out for a spin, and she did great on speed bumps. She also had a better turning radius than the Fortuner.

The top of the line 2WD, 2.5L Pajero was just south of 1.2 mb, with all the bells and whistles such as rear view camera, 10.2 inch TV screen, 80% side tint, 1st class insurance for a year, etc. I asked for a discount on the price, he said it wasn't possible. I told the guy that I had visited Mitsubishi Prakanong, and that they offered a 6k discount (complete BS). He seemed really surprised...I faked like I wasn't ready to buy from him, and out came a 5K discount plus a back window visor, which was nice. I squeezed out 1,000 baht of gas after that, then signed. In hindsight, I probably could have gotten a bit more on the discount, but I'm not complaining.

They say it will be ready on November 2nd, but I'll update on whether or not that actually works out.

Popping down to the beach with a PJS vs a Tuna I think you'll be happier with those flat folding rear seats. A friend has a labrador and a new Fortuna and says he has to choose between luggage or the dog with 4 in the car on long journeys. Not much room for the porto kennel, golf clubs and bags with the side folding seats and he won't have the dog loose with sliding luggage on long journeys.

So we took a look at the Fortuner (Toyota Rama 4) and the Pajero (Mitsubishi, Sathorn). Fortuner was nice, but felt a little too much like what it really is...a pickup. We had a great sales lady named May who was very upfront and helpful. I wasn't able to take it out for a test drive even though I have a valid Thai drivers license, but they let me turn it on in a parking lot (TIT). Left with a strong 3 star feeling about the Fortuner, and was even tempted to splurge for the top of the line version, which was north of 1.5 mb. All versions didn't come with first class insurance, but she could discount from 10-15kb.

We headed out to see the Pajero. The looks were pretty good, and it also seats 7. I liked sitting a bit higher up in it, and it felt a bit less like a pickup. I was able to take her out for a spin, and she did great on speed bumps. She also had a better turning radius than the Fortuner.

The top of the line 2WD, 2.5L Pajero was just south of 1.2 mb, with all the bells and whistles such as rear view camera, 10.2 inch TV screen, 80% side tint, 1st class insurance for a year, etc. I asked for a discount on the price, he said it wasn't possible. I told the guy that I had visited Mitsubishi Prakanong, and that they offered a 6k discount (complete BS). He seemed really surprised...I faked like I wasn't ready to buy from him, and out came a 5K discount plus a back window visor, which was nice. I squeezed out 1,000 baht of gas after that, then signed. In hindsight, I probably could have gotten a bit more on the discount, but I'm not complaining.

They say it will be ready on November 2nd, but I'll update on whether or not that actually works out.

Well done, sounds like a good choice and you have a reasonable deal. Be aware though that the 80% side tint will be very dark, particluarly when manouvering in car parks and of course at night. From my experience 60% is plenty to keep the kids (and dog) cool on trips and to keep your secret identity concealed from those outside.

Interesting that they have the 10.2 inch screen in the 2WD GT now, I have previosuly only seen it in the 3.0 benzine!! My kids always complain about the small front screen so they would love that!!

Popping down to the beach with a PJS vs a Tuna I think you'll be happier with those flat folding rear seats. A friend has a labrador and a new Fortuna and says he has to choose between luggage or the dog with 4 in the car on long journeys. Not much room for the porto kennel, golf clubs and bags with the side folding seats and he won't have the dog loose with sliding luggage on long journeys.

Why not take out the 2 rear seats unless he always carries more than 5 people in the fortuner.

Well done, sounds like a good choice and you have a reasonable deal. Be aware though that the 80% side tint will be very dark, particluarly when manouvering in car parks and of course at night. From my experience 60% is plenty to keep the kids (and dog) cool on trips and to keep your secret identity concealed from those outside.

Interesting that they have the 10.2 inch screen in the 2WD GT now, I have previously only seen it in the 3.0 benzine!! My kids always complain about the small front screen so they would love that!!

There is a possibility the car salesman lied! Unusual thought I know, but I saw a new PJS GT on show today and the screen looked remarkable like the former 7 inch Alpine. Maybe it was an old model and a quiet upgrade is underway or .......

Edited by Jitar