Bee Keeping

Have you kept bees before? It's a lot of fun but somewhat complicated, and takes more equipment than just beehives.

When I was in my 20's a couple of old farts next door (they had to be at least 60, LOL) smile.png kept bees and I used to help them. They were so self sufficient that they even made their own hives to industry standards so that their tops, bottoms, frames and hive boxes would interchange with commercial units. I helped then make those too. In the US pine is preferred but I have no clue about LOS.

Anyway, it's well worth the effort and if you haven't done it, I'm sure google and youtube are full of info. You can manage your hives so that you wind up with no bees and then no honey, or you can manage them to where they grow in number, creating new wealth, and make quite a bit of money on them. There are lots of ways to make money on the hives and the honey and pollen, and on the bees themselves. I mean like selling a queen and a few drones and workers for a start for a new hive for instance.

You can sell a hive with a couple of frames full of honey to feed that new colony as it starts. Beeswax brings good money with candle makers because it smells so good burning, or you can make the candles. I could go on and on, but it all comes down to the plain fact that it does the the most important thing needed in capitalism:

Create new wealth, and that's all new wealth.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

With the Honey bee populations collapsing in USA and Europe by up to 50% due to parasitic infection, maybe honey production could become lucrative in the next few years, but more than likely the parasite will spread worldwide and affect Asian bee populations also, if not already there.

With the Honey bee populations collapsing in USA and Europe by up to 50% due to parasitic infection, maybe honey production could become lucrative in the next few years, but more than likely the parasite will spread worldwide and affect Asian bee populations also, if not already there.

Or, it could make honey and other bee products a lot more expensive valuable. :)

I just thought of one more way to make money that I forgot about. With reduced honey bee populations, farmers and orchardists in the US are actually paying beekeepers to bring in the bees for pollination. The beekeepers, when I was young, paid the farmers for the rights to place the bees!

Now you have what accountants call a "switch." If I have $100 in the bank, and I take out $10, I have $90. But if I instead put in $10, I have $110, or a $20 difference which is double. (A switch is actually entering a $10 deposit as a check or a check as a deposit and being off $20 for the same reason.) So a $10 expense goes away and is replaced by $10 in income and you're $20 richer. smile.png

Edited by NeverSure

I just thought of one more way to make money that I forgot about. With reduced honey bee populations, farmers and orchardists in the US are actually paying beekeepers to bring in the bees for pollination. The beekeepers, when I was young, paid the farmers for the rights to place the bees!

Now you have what accountants call a "switch." If I have $100 in the bank, and I take out $10, I have $90. But if I instead put in $10, I have $110, or a $20 difference which is double. (A switch is actually entering a $10 deposit as a check or a check as a deposit and being off $20 for the same reason.) So a $10 expense goes away and is replaced by $10 in income and you're $20 richer. smile.png

Here's a documentary for those who are capable of understanding German:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOZ-tarAa2A

Having sufficient food for bees in their neighbourhood (radius 3 - 4.5 km, 30 km2) is an important factor for keeping bees strong and healthy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiker falls, dies, after group attacked by bees on Camelback Mountain:

Phoenix Fire Departmen spokesmen McDonald said 3 men were being attacked by bees just off of Echo Canyon trail. The men were on a trail near an area called Ice Box Canyon.

Remember to have seen a lovely picture of that area a few years ago.

Btw. also one of my grandfathers used to have a few hives before the second world war started, just as almost all his neighbours. Today all of these hives have disappeared.