Train From Bangkok To Samui?

Aceicol

Firstly apologies for asking a question that I'm sure has been done on here loads, I've searched but am getting info on Google from 2008.

I land in Thailand on the 21st of December and after a night in Bangkok I want to catch the over night train to Koh Samui, I want a bed though if possible, and was wondering if I can book online, I've read if I try to book in the station and on the day I'll struggle to get a bed on there, and certainly at Christmas. Basically I'm asking if any of you know any reputable sites that I can book on, and as much as I love the Thais, I'd prefer to have a British style efficiency for this situation. I don't mean that rudely and don't mean to offend, but I mean I don't want them just being casual and forgetful about it, if possible. :-)

This site allows booking up to 60 days early (so will have to wait another week). Am very sure you would not obtain tickets in person for a bad and likely not even for a train.

British style efficiency I can't comment on.

• Like 1

Hi the State Railway of Thailand has a good website that is English friendly. it is here

http://www.thairailticket.com/esrt/Default.aspx?language=1

You may have to leave booking till a bit closer to the date though. You also have two choices. You can go to Chumphon and then get the high speed ferry to Samui via Koh Tao, KPG which takes about 4 hours with stops or you can travel further South to Surat Thani and then get the ferry direct to Samui which takes 1.5 hours. thumbsup.gif

If there are two of you traveling then if you book first class air you get a cabin to yourselves. 2nd class air is open cabin with a curtain, 3rd class fan is the same biggrin.png

• Like 1

Just in case others find this thread, there is NO train to Koh Samui.

There are train destinations to places where you then change and get a FERRY to Koh Samui.

Just in case people not knowing the geography think they can travel straight through to Koh Samui.

The only direct route to Koh Samui is by AIR.

Edited by CharlieH

If there are two of you traveling then if you book first class air you get a cabin to yourselves. 2nd class air is open cabin with a curtain, 3rd class fan is the same biggrin.png

NO-3d class is ONLY seats-the situp+beg type, and its in fact only available on the lower class 'rapid'' trains-not on the express.

In 2nd you can choose between seat (slight recline-but most busseats are far better) or bed-and maybe also between fan or AC. All have different prices.

1st cl-the beds are exactly the same as in 2nd, if youre single its not worth the extra (double 2nd) as you'll have to share with a same-sex other in same situation-s is in fact the case in about any sleeper in this world.

Trains are often-very-late on arrival.

seat61.com is a enthusiast site propagating trains in this world-it will omit any negative that holds for those iron monsters, but is useful for info.

Alternative: various buses-even onto the island or with connection direct into ferry.