• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 26

Famous Singer Tik Shiro Involved in Fatal Bangkok Car Accident, Two Dead

2. 0

Survivors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki Awarded Nobel Peace Prize for Nuclear Disarmament

3. 0

Controversy Surrounds Guardian Review of Oct 7 Documentary on Hamas Massacre

4. 0

Unlikely Justice for Victims of Novichok Poisoning, Says Former PM Theresa May

5. 0

The Growing Influence of the US Far Right on Ireland's Extremist Movements

6. 0

Boris Johnson Hints at Potential Return to Front-Line Politics

7. 0

Pro-Palestinian ‘mob-rule tactics’ Force Postponement of Braverman’s Cambridge Speech

8. 0

Taylor Swift Donates $5 Million to Hurricane Relief Efforts

9. 0

Honeymoon Period Over for Kamala Harris Polls Show Tight Race

10. 0

DeSantis Pushes Back on Climate Change’s Role in Stronger Storms

11. 0

German Politician Calls for Ban on Greta Thunberg Over Pro-Palestinian Protest Involvement

12. 0

U.S. Seeks to Weaken Hezbollah’s Grip on Lebanon Amid Israeli Offensive

13. 0

YouTuber and BBC Star Yung Filly Arrested in Australia Over Alleged Hotel Rape

Bank Passbook

willyumcr

G/F has an account with Kasikorn Bank in Pattaya with an ATM card. I am in USA for a short visit and she went to her home in the province. For some reason her ATM card is not working so she went to local Kasikorn branch (her account is in Pattaya) to find out why. They said she needed a new card but could not do anything because she left her Book at home in Pattaya. In other wards can not get her funds because no Book. How many people travel around caring there bank book with them when they have an ATM card? She has a passport, driving license, ID card which all have her picture on it. TIT.

If going away from local area always worth taking bank books, passport and book for car/motorbike. Also worth travelling with 2 bank accounts and 2 atm cards with funds in. If card goes wrong on a Friday evening, cannot get new one until Monday morning hence the reason i have 2. Been through same problem, so its a sharp learning curve, really no need for banks to use passbooks nowdays.

I was only posting this information for people to be aware of what happens if you don't carry your passbook. She does have other account and also can transfer to/from on line. Just because she didn't carry both passbooks should not be a reason to deny her from withdrawal of her funds from any branch with her passport, driver license and national ID and her ATM in hand.

I was only posting this information for people to be aware of what happens if you don't carry your passbook. She does have other account and also can transfer to/from on line. Just because she didn't carry both passbooks should not be a reason to deny her from withdrawal of her funds from any branch with her passport, driver license and national ID and her ATM in hand.

These things vary from branch to branch, I have three accounts with BAY and was prevented last week from withdrawing funds from my account and opening a new account (roll over) because I didn't have my passport with me, I did have all my passbooks and my Thai five year drivers license and I actually know the guys in the branch well! Just goes to show,

What the OP has described is normal practice amongst banks here, the banks want to see the passbook as ultimate secure proof of account ownership which is something that the other forms of ID don't do.

The reason they want to see the passbook is because her "official bank signature" is in there. They will have her sign the bank papers and then put the passbook under the blacklight to compare the signatures.

In the US, the signature card for your account is stored at the local branch but the info is available on their computers.

Here in Thailand, I can't even get a monthly bank statement and try getting the bank to give you any official bank papers with your name and address on it and they will probably laugh at you.

The passbooks are the worst of the worst in banking jokes. Just line items than you are required to update and no details as to where the money came from or went to. Add that with the lack of statement and the banks here do a great job of leaving you in the dark. Even the online banking, which does give much more details, is still lacking when it comes to seeing who you transferred funds to (name and account number) and where funds came from.

I often times need a bank statement with my name, account number, and home address on it but no Thai banks issue such a thing. I have to ask the manager at SCB to type up a letter on bank letterhead stating my name, address, and account number on file and have them sign it. After the first couple I needed now they are charging me 200thb for said paper.

In any case... the whole reason they demand the book for withdrawals is for that signature. Has nothing to do with the info in the book itself other than the signature written in invisible ink.

Edited by Jayman

Just because she didn't carry both passbooks should not be a reason to deny her from withdrawal of her funds from any branch with her passport, driver license and national ID and her ATM in hand.

The banks don't see it that way. End of story.

• 2 weeks later...

Jayman is absolutely correct.

The bank employee's have strict rules in place regarding what they can and cannot do.

Any deviation if found out could cost them their job.

I for one am happy with the extra security.

Yermanee wai.gif

Is that right? I have never been asked for my bank passbook to make a withdrawl, but always asked for my passport being a foreigner (I suppose passport would not be required in the case of a Thai national).

Recently I wanted to make a withdrawl from SCB which was more than my ATM card's daily limit was set at. So I walked into an SCB branch, not the branch where I opened my account in Pattaya, but another branch in Pattaya, the same one as I have used in the past to make withdrawls over the counter without my passbook and passport, only carrying my ATM card and some other fom of ID.

This time I'm told that I can't make the withdrawl without my passport as ID, don't get me wrong as I'm not complaining, I'm all for banking security, I just wish the goal posts wouldn't keep moving! What's acceptable one day is not another, or depending who the teller happens to be at that particular time!

So, I try to persuade the head teller that due to time constraints and the heavy traffic I don't have time to go home to collect my passport and make it to a branch before closing time to make the urgent withdrawl. The head teller is having none of this and I'm thinking, well at least they're doing their jobs and following procedure. Then the head teller tells me I can increase my daily limit at the ATM machine outside, and then make multiple withdrawls to the amount I originally required, which I already knew, and I knew that I would have to key in my passport number to change my daily limit. As expected the head teller proceeded to tell me all I had to do was the aforementioned, and change my daily limit after entering my passport number. At this point I explained that I have two passports, and can't remember which one I used to open my account, and having two passports which have very similar passport numbers I wasn't a 100% confident that I wouln't get the numbers mixed up and the ATM card swallowed by the machine.

Now this is the best bit, after explaining the passport number memory issue to the head teller, she asks me to read out what I think my passport number to be, which I got wrong, but the hepfull teller came to my rescue and corrected my mistake for me and gave me the correct number! So outside I go, change my daily limit, make multiple withdrawls from the ATM, all under the watchfull eye of the head teller, and off I go. Five minutes later, I get a phone call from SCB security division asking if I have just withdawn XXX amount from my savings account, <deleted>???

The point I suppose I'm trying to make is that in Thailand, banking requirements, or for that matter most things can change from day to day, and from person to person, it's impossible to predict. The only way to be sure is to take every possible scenario into account and try to cover them all.