Thaksin To File Complaint Over Claims He Orchestrated Violence

webfact

2010 POLITICAL VIOLENCE

Thaksin to file complaint over claims he orchestrated violence

The Nation

30192364-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has decided to take legal action against certain figures in the opposition Democrat Party for accusing him of masterminding violence during the political unrest in mid-2010.

A spokesman for the ruling Pheu Thai Party, Prompong Nopparit, said yesterday that Thaksin's lawyers would file a complaint tomorrow with Lumpini police against Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and other leading Democrats - Suthep Thaugsuban, Korn Chatikavanij, Sathit Pitutecha, and Sirichok Sopha - for allegedly slandering the ex-leader.

Prompong said the Democrats' allegations that Thaksin was behind an alleged plot to cause violence during the red shirts' protest two years ago damaged Thaksin's reputation.

At the latest weekly gathering of supporters in Bangkok's Lumpini Park last Saturday, the Democrats argued that armed men were hired to cause violence during the 10-week protest in 2010. They accused Thaksin of being involved in a plot to regain power despite the fact it would cost the lives of many people, including his red-shirt supporters.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-16

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems as if it is a case of, Truth hurts'' with the bail jumping convicted renegade who refuses to recognize court decisions, unless of course they are for his benefit..

• Like 1

I think it is a sign of his losing control.

To stay in the minds of his red/black shirted fans he has to resort to ridicules claims. The more Yingluck starts to look like a leader the more nonsense he has to put out to get attention.

Does any one know what the results were when they were tracing the money behind the red shirts. We all know Thaksin through one way or another had paid for a large part of it but did they find the trail?

• Like 2

To stay in the minds of his red/black shirted fans he has to resort to ridicules claims. The more Yingluck starts to look like a leader the more nonsense he has to put out to get attention.

Does any one know what the results were when they were tracing the money behind the red shirts. We all know Thaksin through one way or another had paid for a large part of it but did they find the trail?

Other than the fact that the protests came to a sudden end as soon as they froze the accounts of all those with ties to him?

• Like 2

Well raised Dolly, good of you to admit the PM is starting to look like a leader and as you note, there appears to be scant evidence of the financial support so beloved by some on here....

He should file defamation suits, individually, against half the Thai population and 95% of posters on ThaiVisa. They've/we've all been bad-mouthing him.

The real question is: how can a man with such a trashed reputation have any character left which can be defamed? Is calling an aligator toothy - a defamation of the gator's character?

Edited by maidu

Well raised Dolly, good of you to admit the PM is starting to look like a leader and as you note, there appears to be scant evidence of the financial support so beloved by some on here....

If going from 'clone' and total follower, to 'following-most-of-the-time' is deemed; 'looking more like a leader' then I guess you could say Yingluck fits the description. It's like saying if a man goes from eating 20 hamburgers a day to eating 18 per day, then he's improving his diet.

And your 2nd point; "......appears to be scant evidence of the (Thaksin's) financial support...." ....if you're referring to Thaksin's money hand-outs to Red protesters, both blatant and clandestine, then you've been succesfully embedded in the Thaksin bullsh!t machine.

• Like 2

How in the world how can a convicted, fugitive from the law, under multiple warrants, file a complaint in any court, especially since he does not recognize the jurisdiction of the court.

He is becoming so predictable and ridiculous.

Because he is convinced he can have his cake and eat it, too.

You know most of the country only apply "the law" selectively when it suits them.

Hang on, maybe this is what the Dems have planned.

Provoke him to file this laughable charge, which makes him look silly, bring their evidence to the court, if a hearing or trail ever comes to fruit, and lay all the evidence out.

Only problem is, in this country it does not matter if the allegations made are true. They are still considered "harmful to a respected person".

whistling.gif

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

My dog is getting a bit shaggy around the neck and is starting to look like a lion. Perhaps he will actually become a lion about the same time as Yingluck becomes a leader?

• Like 1

Court should tell him that if he wants to file a complaint, the only place he can do it is in Thailand, in person. If he fails to show up, they just wipe their as* with whatever document brought by any other person.

Case closed. No more complaint filing

Why?

you either want the law to work properly or you don't. Is it ok to differentiate when dealing with Thaksin than it is with other Thai citizens? Can other Thai citizens make complaints whilst outside the country?

Now I feel this is a good thing, especially if it gets as far as court, then the accusers will need to prove their allegation, which will mean their evidence finally getting to see the light of day in a court room, this can put an end to these allegations once and for all, either one way or another, which can only be a good thing, right?

they either have proof to make these allegations or they don't have proof, now we can find out.

• Like 1

Thaksin is walking into a trap. Wait and see. But not really suprising if you know that at each and every Red shirt rally the main topic is: Abhisit and Suthep are killers and the ICC will put them in jail.

And on top of it the PT spokesperson says that the Dems are dividing the country... uuhhh.guitar.gif

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

I hope it does make it to court and any damning evidence the Dems have comes out for all to see, then if the evidence is damning enough I hope an international warrent is put out for Interpol to act on, then when Thaksin is delivered to Thailand in cuffs the eyes of the world will be on Thailand to see if the rule of law is enforced.

Sent from my GT-I9003

I hope it does make it to court and any damning evidence the Dems have comes out for all to see, then if the evidence is damning enough I hope an international warrent is put out for Interpol to act on, then when Thaksin is delivered to Thailand in cuffs the eyes of the world will be on Thailand to see if the rule of law is enforced.

Sent from my GT-I9003

Pretty much what I and others have said. However, I am skeptical of this scenario.

Thaksin's legal team will see the evidence before any trial and push to make it a trial behind closed doors, if it is truly damning.

Money will exchange hands, people will be intimidated etc...

Sent from my GT-I9003

Pretty much what I and others have said. However, I am skeptical of this scenario.

Thaksin's legal team will see the evidence before any trial and push to make it a trial behind closed doors, if it is truly damning.

Money will exchange hands, people will be intimidated etc...

So business as usual.

Sent from my GT-I9003

Here is some of the scant evidence of the financial support so beloved by some on here. Enjoy.

Court should tell him that if he wants to file a complaint, the only place he can do it is in Thailand, in person. If he fails to show up, they just wipe their as* with whatever document brought by any other person.

Case closed. No more complaint filing

Why?

you either want the law to work properly or you don't. Is it ok to differentiate when dealing with Thaksin than it is with other Thai citizens? Can other Thai citizens make complaints whilst outside the country?

Now I feel this is a good thing, especially if it gets as far as court, then the accusers will need to prove their allegation, which will mean their evidence finally getting to see the light of day in a court room, this can put an end to these allegations once and for all, either one way or another, which can only be a good thing, right?

they either have proof to make these allegations or they don't have proof, now we can find out.

We are not talking about a "standard thai citizen"

We are talking about a wanted fugitive, de facto PM through a puppet, who does not recognize justice when it is against him, but would love to use it at his own benefit

• Like 1

Actually, Thaksin may have a pretty decent chance of winning this suit. While few would deny that he funded the protests, I suspect that they would have a hard time tracing the money back to him personally. At best, they might find some bag-men who went to Dubai & returned with suitcases full of money. However, that would probably be circumstantial evidence at best, as anyone who started saying anything that was too incriminating would probably be 'Sae Danged'.

Also, if my understanding of Thai defamation law is correct, he doesn't have to prove that what was said about him was false. He just has to show that it damaged his reputation. When it comes to Thai defamation law, the true is no defence... which is probably why Thaksin loves to use it!

• Like 1

Actually, Thaksin may have a pretty decent chance of winning this suit. While few would deny that he funded the protests, I suspect that they would have a hard time tracing the money back to him personally. At best, they might find some bag-men who went to Dubai & returned with suitcases full of money. However, that would probably be circumstantial evidence at best, as anyone who started saying anything that was too incriminating would probably be 'Sae Danged'.

Also, if my understanding of Thai defamation law is correct, he doesn't have to prove that what was said about him was false. He just has to show that it damaged his reputation. When it comes to Thai defamation law, the true is no defence... which is probably why Thaksin loves to use it!

Exactly. Wonderful, isn't it.

So, what card to the Dems have up their sleeves to defend against this?