Hi All,

I have a few hotel rooms to book and was wondering which is the cheapest method of payment, I was planning on using a credit card but i have heard conflicting stories. Some say it's cheaper by card, some say it's more expensive, and some say no need to book rooms this time of year. Better to just walk in, Anyone have any advice.

With thanks.

Many hotels will charge 3% extra for using Visa or M.C. and 5% extra for Amex or Diners. :o

I have never seen this anywhere else in the world, but it seems to be universal here.

Sadly, Asians have no shame when it comes to money. :D

Naka.

Edited by naka

Hi All,

I have a few hotel rooms to book and was wondering which is the cheapest method of payment, I was planning on using a credit card but i have heard conflicting stories. Some say it's cheaper by card, some say it's more expensive, and some say no need to book rooms this time of year. Better to just walk in, Anyone have any advice.

With thanks.

Book online with your card and take the card with you. Walk inn price is often 40 percent more expensive.

Many hotels will charge 3% extra for using Visa or M.C. and 5% extra for Amex or Diners. :D

I have never seen this anywhere else in the world, but it seems to be universal here.

Sadly, Asians have no shame when it comes to money. :D

Naka.

WHAT?

Someone running a business should persue non cost reflective pricing and subsidise credit card holders thus punishing people who pay cash?

You would fit in really well working for a government owned power producer, they love to do this sort of thing; cross subsidies and the like.

There are plenty of westerner owned businesses here that do the same thing, are you going to call them 'Asians with no shame' as well???!

Normally your posts be well good, but this one...well I am calling you on it :D:D:D:o Bring on the charges I say; cash be king.

Someone running a business should persue non cost reflective pricing and subsidise credit card holders thus punishing people who pay cash?

Wrong debate.

It's only that Thai business don't like to bare the cost of using credit card as a mean of payment.

Visa, Amex... all privates companies. They provide a service to businesses. And there is a cost for that service.

When your customer pay you with a check, you are not going to add to the amount the cost of the messenger who will bring the check to the bank to cash it, okay ?

It should be, and it is, exactly the same with credit card. Businesses have to bare the cost. Not their customers. It's like that in all developped country and with internet businesses.

But in Thailand, no, it's only greed, with the "face saving" poor explanation : "it is bank policy, credit card company policy, BOT policy, my brother in law policy" etc. Bull shit.

Still, I agree that regarding payment in cash, it make sense to grant a discount, compare to payment with check or credit card. But it's another logic and debate (discount for cash, not extra charge for credit card or check...)

Hi All,

With thanks.

Book online with your card and take the card with you. Walk inn price is often 40 percent more expensive.

I beg to disagree. I have several times booked with hotelclub.net and similar websites and have every time found lower rates on walk-in or through regular travel agents. Last time I used it, we booked and paid for White House Resort Pattay (Jomtiem) over internet. As we checked in, the guy behind the counter asked us why we booked by internet, as walk-in rates were LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE we paid.

For 2 and 3 star hotels, if you're staying with your thai gf or wife, let her make the booking. They have a habit of charging 100-200B extra per night for farangs.

If you're not with a thai partner, I'd recommend you call directly to the hotel to get their walk-in rates before buying online.

If you're looking at 5 star hotels, the story may be completely different, but I wouldn't know, as the only time i stay such places are on biz trips, and the secretary then arranges everything.

-nm

I beg to disagree. I have several times booked with hotelclub.net and similar websites and have every time found lower rates on walk-in or through regular travel agents. Last time I used it, we booked and paid for White House Resort Pattay (Jomtiem) over internet. As we checked in, the guy behind the counter asked us why we booked by internet, as walk-in rates were LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE we paid.

For 2 and 3 star hotels, if you're staying with your thai gf or wife, let her make the booking. They have a habit of charging 100-200B extra per night for farangs.

If you're not with a thai partner, I'd recommend you call directly to the hotel to get their walk-in rates before buying online.

If you're looking at 5 star hotels, the story may be completely different, but I wouldn't know, as the only time i stay such places are on biz trips, and the secretary then arranges everything.

-nm

We have done a few bookings for overseas clients and our secretary (Thai) would use an agency website to find the address of a hotel and then call them for bookings and walk in price. Every time it has been a larger sum than stated on the agency homepage.

But I guess it depends on the internet agency and the hotel.

If a guest books online the internet agency will take care most of the “paper work” contact the hotel electronic and book a room with them on your behalf.

They would have negotiated a price on a room first…otherwise no business. But then the hotel would also have to pay commission to the agency.

So if a room normally cost 4000 baht…just and example.

It would say 4000 baht on the hotels own internet page.

You would walk in from the street and ask. Hello I would like to book a room.

I think they will go for the 4000 baht.

If you used and agency they might have negotiated the price to…hmmm first we will have to remove maybe 20% because that is what many hotel agency websites pay to their affiliates for transferring customers to their page.

Now by just removing 20% they are still not making any profits. If they are stupid, they would call the 10% commission from the hotel profit. I guess they would consider it an amount that covers the time it took to email you back or even if you used their online help. But I think they will say that it covers the service charges from the hotel.

Now let’s find a room for 4000 baht on the internet page of the hotel and then see what a hotel agency internet page charges for the same room.

Couldn’t find one for exactly 4000 baht but is it ok with 3900 baht?

http://www.chaophyapark.com/webpage/factsheet.html

Also notice it says above rates are subject to 10% service charge & applicable government tax

Now let’s see what an agency will charge for the same hotel

http://www.bangkok-hotel.ws/list/ratchadaphisek.htm#

There it is 1900 baht

Also notice on the agency it says - All rates are inclusive of service charge & value added tax (VAT)

So looking at my claims above the room that would cost 4000 baht will only cost 2000 on an agency site.

Now why should the hotel give almost 50% discounts on their standard prices to a customer that walks in?

And why are there so many hotel agency booking sites on the internet?

The problem for our friend here is that he cant even go and ask for a walk in price, and then if it is to expensive, say see you later and go and book the same room cheaper on a internet café or similar. Because most agencies ask for minimum 24 hours booking prior to check inn.

So he’s options now that he has asked the audience…and having some possibilities removed…is to call a friend… :o

Wrong debate.

It's only that Thai business don't like to bare the cost of using credit card as a mean of payment.

Visa, Amex... all privates companies. They provide a service to businesses. And there is a cost for that service.

When your customer pay you with a check, you are not going to add to the amount the cost of the messenger who will bring the check to the bank to cash it, okay ?

It should be, and it is, exactly the same with credit card. Businesses have to bare the cost. Not their customers. It's like that in all developped country and with internet businesses.

But in Thailand, no, it's only greed, with the "face saving" poor explanation : "it is bank policy, credit card company policy, BOT policy, my brother in law policy" etc. Bull shit.

Still, I agree that regarding payment in cash, it make sense to grant a discount, compare to payment with check or credit card. But it's another logic and debate (discount for cash, not extra charge for credit card or check...)

Are we talking about paying with CC online or are we talking offline?

If online the hotel will have to charge 3% to cover the commision they will have to pay for the online merchant. Be it a Bank or Thai online merchant.

Now fraud with CC in Thailand is HUGE and charge back are heavy burdens.

And just wondering...is 3% killing your budget?

Hi All,

With thanks.

:o

The best deal you will probably get for a single room booking is through one of the on-line booking services. Use a credit card, internationally known credit card such as VISA, Master-Card, etc. You will find that you will be able to get 50% or more off the walk-in rates for the hotel. Be sure you give them enough time in advance, I would say at least 1 month, although some will be able to book you 2 weeks in advance. Read the details of their booking policy statement on-line. Some of the on-line services are asking for a deposit made at the time of booking, and full payment by a week to two weeks before arrival. others do not require a deposit at time of booking, but most all will require you to pay a one-day minimum fine if there is a cancelation.

Some of the on-line services have a link to a "real-time live" operator you can talk to by email. If you are going to get a number of rooms (some say 6 or more rooms) you should contact their "live" operator and arrange the booking through him or her.

But from my experence the lowest rates come from one of the reputable on-line booking services.

:D

Hi All,

With thanks.

-nm

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I have booked hotels in Bangkok, and almost always booking on the internet, paying with a credit card and booking at least a month in advance, has saved me a signifigant amount.

examples:

hotel #1......internet booking ....$32 a day for standard single room....walk in rate quoted $65 a day.

hotel #2......internet booking ....$50 a day for standard single room ...walk in rate quoted $90 a day.

:D

I think you'll find that some hotels charge more for walk-ins and some charge less. The more expensive branded hotels, especially American ones will cost more if you walk in, and also cost more on their own website than 3rd party websites. If you can book early, then IMA_FARANG is right that you'll almost always get great deals ahead of time.

The bigger hotels basically charge more for last minute travelers which tend to be business folks for which their company is generally paying, or more affluent travelers who are willing to pay full price at the last minute. They use the 3rd party websites to fill in rooms that they aren't using.

But I've found small hotels that charge less for walk-ins than for either their own website or 3rd party websites. Smaller hotels use the 3rd party sites to get customers they're just not going to get because no one knows about them. Sometimes they'll pass through the 3rd party charges in the form of higher rates. Other times they charge more since it's tourists as oppossed to locals reserving on the website.

Basically it all depends. Try the websites first and try direct with the hotel if it's that big an issue. For the best bargains, pay cash at smaller hotels, and have someone Thai make the reservation or walk-in to the front desk. These hotels don't really discount for advance reservation, plus it gives you the option of changing plans and not dealing with refunds.

On at least 2 occassions, I've gotten breakfast with the room at a cheaper price than the non-breakfast online price by walking in. These were tiny hotels in Phuket or Samui, and I actually think it was a mistake by the front desk. More organized hotels (and likely larger) are less likely to have done this.

Edited by Carmine6

• 2 weeks later...

I recently booked three weeks travel throughout thailand and Laos for myself, my mom and her sister online. Usually when I'm traveling without my family I prefer to show up in a place and search for the best place to stay. But with mom, I couldn't be left camping. So i took the online route, and I can't say it always went well.

My very favorite antique style house in chiang mai doesn't accept credit cards. so they would never be found by anyone online. This is my favorite place in thailand.

For luang prabang booking online for my mom and her sister worked well. Although it should be noted that any place that has the ability to connect to the internet through travel booking companies was considerably higher priced than other Laos owned business's that were not "in the loop"

The place I wanted to stay myself that I had stayed at before and loved was a nightmare when I got there. The whole block was under construction and chain saws filled the otherwise quiet area. I was happy I had not pre-booked and happily found a place right on the mekong river that was fantastic far nicer than the one pre-booked for my family (they were jealous) for a discounted rate because it was after 3:00 and they weren't full yet.

My experience with Railey Beach is a good arguement for not booking online!!! It seems that all Krabi hotels make you pay 100% upfront to confirm your bookings. I booked into the new Railey Princess Resort & Spa which looked beautiful online. It was a new hotel that the website guaranteed would be finished all construction in Dec. It said it was located on Railey west and the angle they shot the website picture from looked like it was smack against the limestone cliffs.

When we got there it was landlocked (Yes that is possible on Railey, unknown to me at booking time) between two other resorts which were both beach front on the west and east side. It was still under major construction. Had exposed sewer holes which reaked, and facing out our window was a dirt patch which I think will be the future spa. Out the front door was a trash lot.

Well, as most of us know getting your money back in thailand is next to impossible so I didn't even try. I did attempt to contact my booking agency however there was no answer at the number I was given on a sunday. The best I could do was get us switched to a different wing of the resort where our view off the deck was not of the construction plot. At breakfast the smell of sewage lofted over my coffee cup and we were still a long way from the beach!!

The wonderful resort next door that was ocean front had rooms available that day for a cheaper rate. Nothing on the island was full.

So, moral of the story is I would reccomend not booking ahead unless it's super high season between Dec. 20th and Jan. 15th. You never know when the place next to your favorite place is going to be under construction and the pictures on the internet always look a lot better than they really do in person. Those photographers are professionals!!

I feel safer to get to my destination and check it out myself. :o

Myself I just keep my Amex and Visa in reserve for emergencies because of the whole card fraud/cloning industry here. True, you're covered by the card issuer, but for me I don't want to bother with having to explain it all and go through having replacement cards sent out, etc.

I've yet to find a place that doesn't prefer cash. IMO the service is much better as well (probably because when they get the gratuity directly instead of just tagged onto the bill they actually get it).