Getting Credit Card - Advise Please!

Dear readers

Can anybody point me to a bank that will issue a credit-card or debit-card in conjunction with an account. I need a card mainly to pay online, also while travelling abroad and for withdrawals and hotels payments etc.

I need a card that works reliable and is not setup with a phone sms confirmation code. Therefore Kasikorn unfortunately is not suitable.

Would maybe Citibank or Standard Charter provide?

I don't have a WP, am retired on a 1 yr. extension. Thank you for any advise. PF.wai2.gif

For the debit (bank account) card, the extension, plus address confirmation from the immigration should do.

Credit card should be possible, minimum as a 'kind of a prepaid card', limited to the amount, you may have to store on a fixed deposit account. ( No wp, no other option, I guess)

And from every mayor bank, I think.

Bangkok Bank and Siam Commercial did it for people, I know.

So check with the next branch, if and how they would issue the needed credit card!

oops: the SMS thing, I don't know

Edited by noob7

For the debit (bank account) card, the extension, plus address confirmation from the immigration should do.

Credit card should be possible, minimum as a 'kind of a prepaid card', limited to the amount, you may have to store on a fixed deposit account. ( No wp, no other option, I guess)

And from every mayor bank, I think.

Bangkok Bank and Siam Commercial did it for people, I know.

So check with the next branch, if and how they would issue the needed credit card!

oops: the SMS thing, I don't know

The Bangkok bank withhold double your amount of credit. So if your credit limit is 200,000 Baht they withhold 400,000 Baht, that you can't access until you return the card debt free..

I think you need to reconsider Kasikorn and SMS confirmation (it a security feature that well worth having). You only need a cheap 500THB phone and a 12call SIM with 100THB credit or a very low cost monthly plan. You don't need to use for anything else. Is your issue that you live outside phone reception range? You appear to have internet access! Maybe you can explain the phone issue?

I am using Kasikorn you only use the SMS code for online transaction not when you use the card OS travel etc and I still use a separate K-Bank card for withdrawals as they don't see able to link to Credit card for withdrawals unlike other countries.

Do not go to Bangkok Bank there a pain to deal with SCB would be a next choice and TMB if your speak Thai well.

• Like 1

I have the Bangkok Bank Visa ATM/Debit card. Works fine on-line as long as the on-line merchant can process debit cards (verified by Visa, etc.). Last time I checked, Bangkok Bank had a 150,000 baht ceiling for a single transaction.

I have also used the card at atms in Cambodia, Laos, Hong Kong and Singapore. So no worries there.

I have the Bangkok Bank Visa ATM/Debit card. Works fine on-line as long as the on-line merchant can process debit cards (verified by Visa, etc.). Last time I checked, Bangkok Bank had a 150,000 baht ceiling for a single transaction.

I have also used the card at atms in Cambodia, Laos, Hong Kong and Singapore. So no worries there.

Have one too. Only complication for the OP will be that the verified by Visa system now uses an otp sent to your mobile.

So doing online transactions while not in Thailand will require him to take his Thai mobile along with roaming activated, and hope the sms arrives fast enough.

On roaming there often are delays with sms delivery...

Don't forget to register the verified by visa while in Thailand as you'll have to call the automated bualuang number to get it activated!

All the rest works just fine, atm's, shopping where visa pos systems are available (virtually everywhere now).

Only thing not possible is to use the card as guarantee for example when renting a car. This only works with a proper credit card...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App