Our Kids' I Q Is Down? It's The Education, Stupid!: Thai Talk

webfact

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shall we return gentlemen, in another 10 years time and see if we are in the same position as now, they waffled on about this in 1992, the general idea from the top end of town, is, the dumb down effect, for most of the population , easy to manage, easy to manipulate.bah.gif

• Like 1

"... What's worse, politicians have exploited the limited budget allocations for the country's educational activities for their own ends. Good, qualified bureaucrats are sidelined, while those ready to serve their political bosses take charge of the most important roles in the education system."

What's worse is that politicians are happy to sit behind these findings & still have the gall to pat each other on the back for another job well done !

As some posts have hinted, it's Thainess, keep the lower classes un-educated so that they follow the leaders without question, keep the system unchanged for the elite who will always inherit it all.

• Like 2

One thing which I criticise globally is exams. Kids should be tested on work base accrual, homework and classwork. They do the work, they move on to the next level, same as computer games, which they can equate to. Interim testing is still a part of it, small non-pressure cooker exams, yes, but not heavy handed year 12 final with your life attested to in 3 hours of pressure examination, live or die by 3 hours not 12 years of education. And I was one of these victims, and now teach, excel in what I failed in and have the tertiary papers to prove it, one of which reflects on my actual high cost education afforded by my father.

If a child does not have a grasp of the subject being taught then a decision to hold back should be made by the teacher who, if qualified, can make it, if not let the other teachers make it as a quorum. The smarter kids can move on to a better class of learning which is faster as right now in all schools globally, the second any child puts his/her hand up and says "I don't understand" the whole class can only learn at the pace of the slowest learner and that is not right. neus.gif

At the end of it all, there has to be a balance between course work and exams. My step brother just went through his GCSE's in the UK, and it was a horrendous 21/2 year slog for him and my father, and step mum. Setting aside, that apparently, kids are essentially competing against how much assistance that parents are giving to their kids to "polish" their coursework, the whole system of grades means absolutely nothing because half the work isn't their own.

There is something beneficial to being able to perform under pressure for an exam, but it seems in Thailand this is completely overdone with endless tests and not enough time even for learning. In the internet age, encouraging and getting your kids to want to read and learn is a wonder. Just hope they don't stumble upon Thaivisa if they are trying to get balanced opinions about Thailand. LOL

As a parent with children in Thai schools, I have (strong) views on this matter.

These are my personal views and not necessarily correct.

I know many teachers on the board will say that they work hard in their jobs and that their teaching methods and dedication to their job is mainly for the sake of the children's education but I am not expressing my views on the teachers but rather the system which the teachers have to follow.

If you agree with my thoughts, thank you.

If you do not agree and my remarks make your blood boil, please re-read the second sentence in this post.

The problem as I see it is not the subjects or level of education that Thai children are supposed to learn, it is that they do not have time to be taught.

As soon as my kids are back in school they are preparing for their mid term exams.

After the mid term exams they then start preparing and revising for the end of term exams.

From what I see, all children from Prathom upwards take four exams each year (in some cases more).

I understand that a child's progress should be monitored but not at the expense of their education.

Besides which, these tests do not actually serve a purpose.

If the test results were used to show the schools/teachers the students week points so that they could be worked on (improved) then they would have served their purpose.

However, when the tests are used just to show to the Ministry of Education that the school is doing their job (even though the results are altered/tweaked in the schools favour), then the system fails.

If the schools have to close during term time due to floods, Swine Flu, riots in the area of the school, etc. then the children do not have enough time to even practice (parrot fashion) for the tests.

Let's face facts here, school trips, scouts/guides, dancing practice, cheer leading practice and many other important activities are far more urgent than an education.

If the teachers do not have time to teach the subjects then they set the lesson as homework and it is up to the parents to teach the children at home.

From my schooling years I was under the impression that homework is a tool to instil a previously taught lesson.

The problem with expecting the parents to teach the children is that if the child's parents are illiterate then the child will stand very little to no chance of getting an education.

Never mind, the promise of a computer tablet will be the answer to all of the problems.

Regards,

Tiger.

I agree with what you have written. I have been teaching in Thai schools for nigh on 7 years and I have found that educating thre students is mot the primary objective. School outings, competitions and other events are of much more importance.

As a parent with children in Thai schools, I have (strong) views on this matter.

These are my personal views and not necessarily correct.

I know many teachers on the board will say that they work hard in their jobs and that their teaching methods and dedication to their job is mainly for the sake of the children's education but I am not expressing my views on the teachers but rather the system which the teachers have to follow.

If you agree with my thoughts, thank you.

If you do not agree and my remarks make your blood boil, please re-read the second sentence in this post.

The problem as I see it is not the subjects or level of education that Thai children are supposed to learn, it is that they do not have time to be taught.

As soon as my kids are back in school they are preparing for their mid term exams.

After the mid term exams they then start preparing and revising for the end of term exams.

From what I see, all children from Prathom upwards take four exams each year (in some cases more).

I understand that a child's progress should be monitored but not at the expense of their education.

Besides which, these tests do not actually serve a purpose.

If the test results were used to show the schools/teachers the students week points so that they could be worked on (improved) then they would have served their purpose.

However, when the tests are used just to show to the Ministry of Education that the school is doing their job (even though the results are altered/tweaked in the schools favour), then the system fails.

If the schools have to close during term time due to floods, Swine Flu, riots in the area of the school, etc. then the children do not have enough time to even practice (parrot fashion) for the tests.

Let's face facts here, school trips, scouts/guides, dancing practice, cheer leading practice and many other important activities are far more urgent than an education.

If the teachers do not have time to teach the subjects then they set the lesson as homework and it is up to the parents to teach the children at home.

From my schooling years I was under the impression that homework is a tool to instil a previously taught lesson.

The problem with expecting the parents to teach the children is that if the child's parents are illiterate then the child will stand very little to no chance of getting an education.

Never mind, the promise of a computer tablet will be the answer to all of the problems.

Regards,

Tiger.

Tiger,

I truly feel for you. I am a teacher at a Thai (government) secondary school.

The problems in the Thai school system are almost uncountable and extend into every direction, unfortunately.

At least at my school, students study 12-15 different subjects every week. When I compare that to my secondary school expereince in the USA, we studied about 5-7 subjects per week. There is no time for students to really learn, any more than they can sip some water from a high pressure fire hose.

You mention homework as a reinforcing of the lessons. Students, at least at my school, see homework as merely a kind of "busy work" which they attempt to get done during the school day. Students are convinced that school goes from 8am to 3pm, Monday to Friday. Outside of that time, their time is their own to shop and relax and do whatever. And don't allow anything educational intrude upon that time.

Teachers, who have not given up in frustration, still make attempt to organize a curriculum and learning environment... but are often met with ridiculously constructed "reasons" for why nothing can be changed or improved...other than perhaps "touching up the paint on a few spots over a whole structure of rotting wood".

Thai's have many strengths, but one of them is definitly NOT administration. If a Thai had been the captain of the Titanic, it wouldn't have hit the iceberg because it would have dashed itself on the rocks before even leaving the launching harbor.

Your best bet Tiger is to send your children to the best private school you can afford. Or a "demonstation school" -- which are often better but you must investigate closely. Barring both these options, send your students to quality tutoring education in the evenings and weekends -- or have a tutor come to your home.

I'd say, let the kids still go playing games SOMETIMES, but within reason. on your other points i fully agree...

For my part, after my kids have told me eally some not-so-believable stories (i mean not so believeble for farang ears) about their teachers and teaching methods in their (thai) schools, i have just told them 'just make the necessary grades (no need to shine within that school system) so that you won't have to repeat a year, but otherwise just learn to THINK by yourselves'...

to be frank, i do not think that the school system will improve anytime soon. maybe in time for my chlidren's children, though... sad.png

Stop letting your kids go to the internet shop after school to play stupid games.

stop the 'rote' learning system.

Stop teaching the same way you did 70 years ago.

Stop believing that Thailand is the best country in Asia.

then and only then MIGHT you have a chance to improve.

One thing which I criticise globally is exams. Kids should be tested on work base accrual, homework and classwork. They do the work, they move on to the next level, same as computer games, which they can equate to. Interim testing is still a part of it, small non-pressure cooker exams, yes, but not heavy handed year 12 final with your life attested to in 3 hours of pressure examination, live or die by 3 hours not 12 years of education. And I was one of these victims, and now teach, excel in what I failed in and have the tertiary papers to prove it, one of which reflects on my actual high cost education afforded by my father.

If a child does not have a grasp of the subject being taught then a decision to hold back should be made by the teacher who, if qualified, can make it, if not let the other teachers make it as a quorum. The smarter kids can move on to a better class of learning which is faster as right now in all schools globally, the second any child puts his/her hand up and says "I don't understand" the whole class can only learn at the pace of the slowest learner and that is not right. neus.gif

At the end of it all, there has to be a balance between course work and exams. My step brother just went through his GCSE's in the UK, and it was a horrendous 21/2 year slog for him and my father, and step mum. Setting aside, that apparently, kids are essentially competing against how much assistance that parents are giving to their kids to "polish" their coursework, the whole system of grades means absolutely nothing because half the work isn't their own.

There is something beneficial to being able to perform under pressure for an exam, but it seems in Thailand this is completely overdone with endless tests and not enough time even for learning. In the internet age, encouraging and getting your kids to want to read and learn is a wonder. Just hope they don't stumble upon Thaivisa if they are trying to get balanced opinions about Thailand. LOL

It doesn't matter if the students pass or fail a test, because even if they fail, they are still given a pass. This no fail system is only in government and private schools, not international schools. Most privately owned schools are only interested in profit, not education.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter if the students pass or fail a test, because even if they fail, they are still given a pass. This no fail system is only in government and private schools, not international schools. Most privately owned schools are only interested in profit, not education.

Tell me something I don't know? I have two kids of my own, getting good grades in two languages, so far so good. Big decision coming in a few years though. Go home, go full international, my neighbours do home schooling..................

At the end of the day, the minimum starting point is the efforts of the child, then the skills of the teacher, and then the quality of the curriculum and the quality of facilities and pupil numbers. Go where ever, or pay to get what is needed. At the end of the day, most of the Thai education system is just above 3rd world.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

Bottom line is,.... Kids in Thailand are checked inn into a prison yard, which is called "Thai education system",.... you serve your term with 3 quarters a day of schooling, then 4-5 hours of useless homework, and an additional 9 hours of studying for exams.

Welcome to Thailand's education system....

Thick and dumb kids all over the world, and also stupid adults in many countries, If the Thai parents worried about their children not being educated to a high enough standard in Thailand, should just ship them of abroad to be educated in a good quality private school same as everyone else does from Thailand, and the next time you have a baby just remember and breast feed it for six months, I blame the parents for dumb kids.

Jim Walker,

What a stupid post.

If the average Thai parent was able to afford ship their kids abroad for a better education then they would also be able to send their child to an international school.

In essence what you are saying is that Thais who do not come from rich families do not deserve to be educated.

Have you ever of pitching your ideas to the Thai Education Department because that is nearly in line with their policies.

Edited by tonytigerbkk

There are three main things that make students appear more stupid than they really are:

1. Exams

2. Status

3. Face

If the money hungry stubborn Elite parenthood and education ministries would focus on changing this culture first, we would encourage students to think outside if the box more instead of keeping them in the box.

I would interpret those as showing students to be "smarter" than they really are. Noone, or very few students in this country are allowed to fail school exams - that would result in loss of face. Until they hit uni - some of my students who finished m6 5 years ago are still in first year uni. They should not even be there!!!

At the end of the day, the minimum starting point is the efforts of the child, then the skills of the teacher, and then the quality of the curriculum and the quality of facilities and pupil numbers. Go where ever, or pay to get what is needed. At the end of the day, most of the Thai education system is just above 3rd world.

Or you could try chicken essence?

Or you could try chicken essence?

Indeed. Get one shonky university somewhere in the world to right you a report that it boosts intelligence, and print your own money. I have been in that factory. Something to behold.

If anyone ever dares to substantiate any of these stupid claims, they would work out that one sprig of brocolli a day does more, for 1000th of the price.

...when 79% of the population condones lying, cheating, stealing and corruption, how can anything improve.....

+1

And when only 2 or 3 baht out of every 100 baht of the education budget ever reaches the classrooms how can things improve?

Edited by sangfroid
  • Like 1

Ill informed rubbish shock1.gif ....IQ SCORES ARE MEANT TO STAY THE SAME!!!

IQ tests are designed so that the average person in a population will have a score of 100. So if, for some reason, a population gets 'more intelligent', the tests are made a bit harder. The reason the IQ of children in Thailand has stayed the same in the last 10 years is because that is how IQ tests are designed.

The headline and the report repeatedly says that Thai kids' IQ is declining but the opening sentence clearly states IQ scores have stayed the same over the last 10 years. Only the opening sentence is correct: IQ SCORES DON'T CHANGE OVER TIME!

So you can't judge an education system on IQ scores. IQ is anyway, a very narrow definition of intelligence and the original idea of them was to measure 'innate' intelligence, something schools were not supposed to be able to change anyway. The idea that IQ scores can be improved by diet, and that all you need to improve diet is to introduce a government policy on nutrition would be laughable if it wasn't so breathtakingly ill-informed. And what's the deal with EQ? Since when could you measure emotional intelligence? The report just seems to assume IQ and EQ are linked: when IQ goes down, so does EQ.

Suthichai Yoon and Dr Anant Ariyachaiyanich don't know what they're talking about.

IQ scores for individuals should remain in the same range. IQ scores for groups, such as national assessments, do in fact change. The average IQ for the US at one time was 100. Now it is 98, which is largely attributable to mass immigration from lower IQ countries, especially in Central and South America and in the Caribbean and Africa. Diet does increase IQ around the margins--maybe as much as 10 points from low IQ countries such as Equatorial Guinea, which is 59, and the like. Environmental factors may add as much as 10-15 points more. That would bring Equatorial Guinea, for example, to the 85 range--about the norm for Mexico.

The interesting fact the op fails to mention is that in a properly and recently normed IQ test the average for the population should be 100. The score should not be increasing over time. One hundred is the 50th percentile. As tests get old, scores do increase since the society in which the test was normed increases in knowledge. At that point the test should be revised so that 50 percentile is again 100. The test only applies to those who were in the norms group. It is possible some of the low scores were a result of some portion of the population not being included in the norms group or a poorly constructed test or both.