Thai Open Market (talad Thai)

BKK90210

Ok...to some of you this may sound strange

Me and my other half (not thai) are very very madly in love with the local thai foods at the open food market. This is where the locals do their shopping and eating. Please don't think we're try to be cheap or anything....but there're so many dishes there we couldn't find in the restaurants.

So do you guys have any ideas where they might be (as exact location)? If you don't know can you ask your thai wife...if you have one, please?

We just need to know their exact locations of these markets...before we make any decision as where do we want to build our new home.

Thanks in advance

BKK

not quite sure what kind of market you are looking for.

there are fresh markets (talad nud), which sell fresh produce - fruits, vegetables, meat etc.

these can be found all over Phuket. One is the market on Ranong road in Phuket Town, just past the traffic circle. On certain days of the week there is also a market next to Robinsons (talad kaset). There are also big markets up at Cherng Talay, Thalang, down by Rawai, all over the island really. Most are open every other day.

then there are the weekend markets that sell clothing, jewelry, etc. These markets also feature lots of snacks and other food. There are two main markets in Phuket Town. I think the largest is Chao Fah Variety (kinda weird name), which is opposite Naka Temple, just off Chao Fah West road going away from town. The other market is the old Tai Rot market. This is on Phang Nga road, not far from the bus station (opposite the Mazda showroom). It used to be much bigger but i think its still going strong.

If it's prepared Thai foods and sweets you're after, the best and biggest is the week-end market near the Thai-Naan crossroads.

If coming from Patong/Kathu, go to the Thai-Naan crossroads and turn right, as if you were going to Wat Chalong. At the first set of lights, turn left and you will see the market on the right hand side about a hundred metres up.

It is open every Saturday and Sunday. Don't bother going until at least 5 O' clock in the evening.

Thanks guys and much appreciated!

We’re still in the US and planning to retire in the next few years in Thailand and now looking for both permanent and another vacation home on phuket island. Since we both addicted to the local thai foods, then it’s wise for us to be asking from the expats themselves! At the end of the year we will be in Phuket again for another house hunting and will take a look at those markets mentioned above for sure!

Thanks bunches

BKK