Thailand To Host Bangkok Grand Prix In 2014: Govt

george

Do they have a race track already made in Thailand?

I have seen how slow construction is here, unless it is

already made, there is little to no chance it will be ready

for 2014.

There is a house beside my condo that has been under

construction for 18 months .... so far

IMO it is a stupid event for Thailand to host ... money could

be spend on so many better things ... such as education ....

Then again Thai gov't do not want the people educated.

F1 is an event for the rich and most Thais cannot afford

Why is it that so many TV posters think that observations made remotely through condo windows or from bar stools makes them construction experts? FYI many people build houses bit by bit as they get the funds together. I have worked on many "real"projects ("real" meaning costing over USD 100 million) and many were constructed on schedule. The funds spent on building a circuit would likely result in a good return on the investment anyway.

Personally I wish Thailand luck and hope it happens.

BTW there is a racing circuit near Pattaya called Bira but I am not sure that it is big enough to hold an F1GP

It's not allowed to hold F3 races.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They should have it in Chiang Mai. Bangkok is crazy enough for traffic. The weather is cooler in Chiang Mai in November and a lot more for the visitor to Thailand to watch the grand Prix and stay a little longer and enjoy the culture and nature of North Thailand.

Randy

for 2014.

It would bring an additions of 10's of thousands of what you describe as "rich" people into the country which in turn would dump a lot of money into the economy. Also, the Grand Prix is held on city streets and speeds vary depending on the country's street (circuit). I'm not a big fan but lived in LA and have been in Singapore when the events were held. I believe top speed in Singapore is about 185 MPH and Long Beach is 240 MPH..

Think you will find the is max speed of 320km now days from the cars and can be done on all current tracks

I have seen max speed over 330km but not on every track (monaco is slower)

From reading the full article it sounds like it will be a street circuit. If Singapore is anything to go by it will be a night time event to accommodate the european audience. If they follow the manner in which Singapore conducts the race it could be a big money spinner for the government and the economy in general. From memory it cost Singapore $120 million to construct the infrastructure etc and they got that back in year one. The government put a 30% loading on every hotel room booked during the week of the race.

A big problem will be traffic. Singapore track roads are closed for 6 weeks for normal traffic. How are they gonna do this in Bangkok?

From reading the full article it sounds like it will be a street circuit. If Singapore is anything to go by it will be a night time event to accommodate the european audience. If they follow the manner in which Singapore conducts the race it could be a big money spinner for the government and the economy in general. From memory it cost Singapore $120 million to construct the infrastructure etc and they got that back in year one. The government put a 30% loading on every hotel room booked during the week of the race.

A big problem will be traffic. Singapore track roads are closed for 6 weeks for normal traffic. How are they gonna do this in Bangkok?

I think you mean 6-days and not 6-weeks.

They said on telly they needed 6 weeks to setup/brake down the circuit

I've seen them fix roads here. They probably meant 6 years.

It would be really cool to see the cams from the cars, though. Imagine the cockpit footage going around ~300kph and being passed by a teenage Thai on his souped up Fino, riding without hands, trying to pop a zit while looking at the mirror.

Imagine this...Tuk Tuks parked up by the side of the tracks, food stalls everywhere, motorbikes going down the track the wrong way, cars jumping lights, trucks in the fast lane etc..

Haha great fun.

Edited by metisdead
: Bold font removed.
  • Like 2

They said on telly they needed 6 weeks to setup/brake down the circuit

Similar to last year, road closure days will be minimised at six days. Affected roads will be closed from 0001hrs, 21 September (Wednesday) to facilitate the set up of race infrastructure. When the race is completed, affected roads will reopen progressively and all roads will be fully accessible by 5am, 27 September (Tuesday) onwards.
  • Like 1

Another bloody street circuit? No thank you. IMO Fi has detiorated because of street circuits, which are mostly a procession. Ecclestone will draw every last drop of blood from the organisers who really need to do a proper feasibility study on how much the whole shebang costs as well as the logistics involved.

I wonder who Bernie is dealing with as , if it's the current government, nothing this big will be decided without a nod from Dubai.

• Like 1

for 2014.

Why is it that so many TV posters think that observations made remotely through condo windows or from bar stools makes them construction experts? FYI many people build houses bit by bit as they get the funds together. I have worked on many "real"projects ("real" meaning costing over USD 100 million) and many were constructed on schedule. The funds spent on building a circuit would likely result in a good return on the investment anyway.

Personally I wish Thailand luck and hope it happens.

BTW there is a racing circuit near Pattaya called Bira but I am not sure that it is big enough to hold an F1GP

Before you start criticising others old chap you should maybe first get yourself clued up.

Bernie wants a night race around the streets of Bangkok, not a daytime race around a glorified karting track in Pattaya or anywhere else.

And what Bernie wants, Bernie gets.

This may be the price the family has to pay to keep their Ferrari driving son out of the jail.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

Yeap and I quite suprised none of the TV faithful who said they were going to boycott Red Bull have piped in saying they will boycott the F1 if held in Thailand and are currently lodging a complaint with the F1 governing body.....rolleyes.gif

There is no deal and there will be no deal until F1 approves the race, funds have been paid to F1 and it is added to the calendar. Anyone who knows anything about F1 knows how fickle Bernie is about adding new races to the calendar. Just read the associated article. It says there is no deal, merely intent.

Just think of all the work permits needed. Drivers, crew, staff.. whew.. I wonder how long it will take to get them all?

They would be exempt from needing work permits under a few different criteria.

How so?

When I have done short-term work here I have been given a temporary work permit after application at the airport.

As far as I am aware there are no "different criteria" that exempt foreigners from work permits no matter the circumstances.

AFAIK:

The F1 is exempt from Work permits, but not from paying taxes on the '3-7 day part income'.

That's part of the 'F1 in your country'-deal, to make it easy and possible, to do the races!

Can't find the story about, but it got published, connect to the India Grand Prix, I think.

They (India?) wanted a bigger piece of the cake. The teams were thinking about boycotting the race, that days, and that made it into the news.

Edited by noob7

And then imagine giving companies like MCOT or any Thai channel the right to do the live broadcast? They would not have a clue where to point the cameras and then broadcast in low resolution as they do now. Someone better do a huge audit on the logistics if this is to have any success.

Star Sports broadcast all F1 races in Thailand on channels 109 (sometimes 108) and 136 in HD..

Na, that doen't look like real HD, to me.

But they (True) selling it as HD!

Edited by noob7

In the English version of the article, it's mentioned "in-principle". In the French version, it's written "verbal". The dictionary tells that "verbal" in one language is "verbal" in the other.

Verbal means just they that drunk too much beer and just before to collapsed, Bernie told "OK" but he does not remember about what.

In-principle means that the race should take place.

I HOPE it's "IN -PRINCIPLE" but I'm afraid, it's just "verbal".

http://fr.espnf1.com...tory/90058.html

I think, it will happen.

Might be the number one reason, that Bernie reduced the fee for Singapore.

A Chance for Malaysia, to get out of this, since Singapore's night race, no even close to make profit, anymore!

for 2014.

Using Bangkok streets should prove interesting. A few wondering buffalo should add a new dimension to the race. A meandering tuk-tuk should be fun too!

Great Idea!! Support Tuk-Tuk races. F1 in BKK ,,, Awe inspiring spectacle.. Love it..

I thought that in November the streets in Bangkok are covered under some feet of water smile.png Are you sure this is car racing and not speed boat racing ???

I guess the Thai Government should be wiser and spend this money to improve the country and help the Thai people that really need it; no not the politicians they have shown to be able to help themselves.

Edited by ardsong
  • Like 1

All for racing and having F1 in Bangkok. I, however, agree it would be nice to see the money allocated to health care such as paying nurses or updated antiquated and broken ER equipment. I know doctor who goes their to operate on children with unusual issues no one there can resolve. He has indicated ER equipment is outdated, missing or broken/bent.

Street surface also needs to be very smooth for these cars. Even dedicated race tracks suck as Sebring can wreak havoc or cars.

This is going to be fun, if it does go ahead.

Does Bernie realize just how many palms he will have to grease...

There must be something lost in the translation.

I very much doubt he got into the position he is in now without greasing many, many palms.

too bad if it floods, all that money gone, cigs and booze going up again. how the hell can anyone guarantee access to the circuit in what appears to be a flood prone country, super hi risk it seems, that is if they can actually pull it off

November is not known for big rains and is a relatively dry month (avg. around 50 to 60mm) compared to say September (over 300mm avg.). Bangkok also doesn't generally flood with the exception of some roads during heavy rains (usually combined with big run off from the north and clogged drains) that may stay flooded for a few hours. Weather is obviously a consideration anywhere but the odds of weather being a factor in Bangkok in November is pretty slim.

Edited by Nisa

All for racing and having F1 in Bangkok. I, however, agree it would be nice to see the money allocated to health care such as paying nurses or updated antiquated and broken ER equipment. I know doctor who goes their to operate on children with unusual issues no one there can resolve. He has indicated ER equipment is outdated, missing or broken/bent.

Street surface also needs to be very smooth for these cars. Even dedicated race tracks suck as Sebring can wreak havoc or cars.

If this was all the money left in Thailand and the choice was putting on a race or spending on healthcare this would be a valid point. But putting on a race, that a good portion of expenses will be covered by sponsors, that will bring a ton of new revenue, visitors and recognition to Thailand while still having the ability to invest in healthcare and other need of people is the actual reality. If all countries needed to be perfect (or anywhere near close) and all people living comfortably with easy access to the best healthcare then there would be no country able to invest in sports and other things that help the economy while bring recognition to a country and pride to its people.

whistling.gif Prediction:

The F1 people will send an advance inspection team to Bangkok, take a look at the "circuit" the Thais propose, and laugh their heads off at the poor state of the roads.

smile.png

That's how they did the 'race track' at Saphan Hin for the Toyota Motor Sport Series in July at Phuket

20120714093221_1_normal.jpg

"PHUKET: Median road dividers are going in all over Phuket for safety but at Saphan Hin park in Phuket City they are coming out . . . for the high-speed and sharp curves of the Toyota Motor Sport Series.

Road racing and burning rubber returns to Phuket with up to 50 Toyota-brand cars thrilling onlookers from July 20-22.2012"

That opens a lot more options for the racetrack, in Bangkok, isn't it?

cheesy.gif