Thailand To Host Bangkok Grand Prix In 2014: Govt

george

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Certainly this would be a huge and desperately needed booster for the Thai economy.

Could you please explain in which way a F1 race boosts the economy in any country in the world.

It is a known fact that a F1 race doesn't earn money, it only costs money. Handsfull of it.

Some people earning, most people paying.

Perfect fit into the Thai way of business!

Edited by noob7

Pie in the sky

They could have done this years ago if the customs dept would play ball........

The Pattaya circuit never took off because there was no way to temporarily import the cars,

for even minor races,. ever mind F1

Is there even time to design and build a suitable track by 2014??

I doubt it.

• Like 1

Thoughts from submaniac:

(1) Formula 1 has gotten too boring. Cars going around in a circle: yawn. Stray dogs, chickens, potholes=make things more interesting. Anyone ever seen "Death Race 2000"? Yeah kind of like that.

Point 2:

be.jpeg

Billionaire has bad haircut. He should spend a few bucks for a proper hairstylist.

One needs urgent psychiatric help if one thinks this is not a positive thing for Thailand.

Positive YES exciting YES, putting Thailand on the map YES, Problem Thailand short term-long term will NEVER get back the money to pay for staging the event. Thailand should not go over the top, when money is needed for Thai people.
  • Like 1

Pie in the sky

The Pattaya circuit never took off because there was no way to temporarily import the cars,

I doubt it.

Wrong used to be Asian championship race at Pattaya every year up until about 2008/9 cars from Malaysia,Hong Kong,Macau for one weekend.

One needs urgent psychiatric help if one thinks this is not a positive thing for Thailand.

Positive YES exciting YES, putting Thailand on the map YES, Problem Thailand short term-long term will NEVER get back the money to pay for staging the event. Thailand should not go over the top, when money is needed for Thai people.

This would help Thai people in numerous ways including new & existing business, labor force, pride, increased tourist numbers & revenue, entertainment, global recognition & awareness, infrastructure improvements .... Governments are generally not profit centers and money is used for the people and this is just one of the many examples of something that will benefit people. It is also a partnership with the business community who will also be sponsoring the race.

All around GREAT NEWS for THAILAND if they can pull it off and in terms of cost for the government, money spent and not recouped is a small drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things and isn't going to prevent the government from over paying farmers to grow rice that is never sold.

Edited by Nisa

Re: $$$$$

Vettel, Schumacher in Thai grand prix preview“, The Nation, June 12, 2012

Our discussions with (Formula One CEO) Bernie Ecclestone have gone smoothly. We expect to get rights to host a grand prix from 2014 onwards. The race might be held at night to accommodate viewers in Europe and help earn more in sponsorship.

“Chalerm Yoovidhya, Red Bull team owner, is helping negotiate the hosting fee, which is likely to be about Bt1.2 billion [$37m], compared to the Bt2 billion [$62m] China paid.

“The cost of building a new F1 venue to accommodate 100,000 spectators will be about Bt100 million [$3.1m]. We need to finalise the budget before we propose it to the cabinet. We expect the overall budget for hosting an F1 race to be around Bt5 billion [$157m],” said Kanokphand [Chulakasem, Sports Authority of Thailand governor].

Chumpol catches F1 fever“, TTR Weekly, March 14, 2012

Ministry of Tourism and Sports spokesperson, Watchara Kannikar (…) added:“Initially, the budget was Bt10 billion [$314m]. However, it is possible that the cost will triple.”

http://asiancorrespondent.com/84707/is-thailand-closing-in-on-hosting-a-formula-1-race-in-2014/

Edited by Nisa

Certainly this would be a huge and desperately needed booster for the Thai economy.

Could you please explain in which way a F1 race boosts the economy in any country in the world.

It is a known fact that a F1 race doesn't earn money, it only costs money. Handsfull of it.

Quite true. If a few Thais are already starting to line up at the trough to get thier share of rewards they are going to be very dissapointed. No money what so ever to be made on the F1. A few Thai Hi So's will rub shoulders with a few international elite for a couple of days (well thier P.A's anyway) and that will be it. It is a party put on for the rich and elite, paid for by the tax payer (working class) and that is about all.

Edited by chooka

Pie in the sky

I doubt it.

How much is an F! car worth? then add 354% duty to bring it into the country. How many cars does each team have?

One thing it would do it bring tens of thousands of additional visitors to Thailand who have disposable income. When this story first came out I recall seeing some articles that I believe said Singapore saw an additional 40,000 International Visitors that came for the event and believe and generated an additional $100 Million in international tourist receipts with an expected revenues to double that. Keep in mind that Thailand has said that 40% of the fees are coming from sponsors and less we not forget that money is collected in ticket sales and that a bunch of local companies and individuals will be hired to support this event. I'm sure there are many other aspects but things like this is an advertisement for the country too and although it may not pull in as many visitors as the movie The Beach, it is going to be an advertisement for Thailand and if during the events they can get people talking about Thailand and showing some shots of beaches and stuff it could be a huge boost to tourism. Generally speaking a government in situations like this is not looking to turn a direct profit but it does bring additional revenue and jobs which in turn helps the economy and general moral.

Yes they will rely heavily on the foreign visitors to pay for the event. I can't see your average Thai handing over a months wages to see a car drive around in circles. Maybe the dual pricing will be in force at the ticket box.

Thais - 30 baht

Farang - 15,000 baht

Great promotion on the world stage will really showcase Thailand and promote future tourism.

• Like 1

Pie in the sky

I doubt it.

How much is an F! car worth? then add 354% duty to bring it into the country. How many cars does each team have?

More than enough but not needed they would come in and out with a Carnet and all the equipment , Customs would only be allowed a cursory glance at the whole package don't need them f#%@ing it up

1) to all you, who think they can pull it of, construction-wise, I have 2 words: airport link! "Opens in April 2008....ahm...September 2008....July 2009...ah, what the h@ll do I know, when they open!!??"

2) Great revenue??? Hotels in Thailand and especially Bangkok already do struggle, partly because of the funny "we have a problem and are empty? Let's raise the prices, so we can at least make money on the few tourists coming!"- principle. So for the F1- weekend, I guess, hotel- rates will be up by 4.000% ...and there will not be one additional tourist coming!

3) All over the world, F1 is facing decreasing spectator- numbers. With prices that no normal Thai can pay....what makes you think, it will be a success here?

4) No...they can't pull it off! Corruption, safety- issues, planning - faillures...I believe it, when I see it! Which means: I don't belive it!

• Like 1

Another bloody street circuit? No thank you. IMO Fi has detiorated because of street circuits, which are mostly a procession. Ecclestone will draw every last drop of blood from the organisers who really need to do a proper feasibility study on how much the whole shebang costs as well as the logistics involved.

I wonder who Bernie is dealing with as , if it's the current government, nothing this big will be decided without a nod from Dubai.

Ya just had to bring Thaksin into it.

If an F1 car can bring 100,000 on to the streets of Bangkok I just think how many will come for the F1, When you conceder the extra thousands of overseas visitors flocking to Bangkok for the event, it is not the few thousand Baht they spend on the race tickets that counts but the other money they spend on hotels, transport, meals and entertainment , most will probable spend a couple of weeks in Thailand and most Thais will be looking forward to cashing in on it.

The one thing I am sure of is Thailand's hospitality will make it one of the popular venues on the F1 calender.

Yes I hear J.J is applying the finishing scratches to his fleet of new jet skis in anticipation of an increase in business.

If an F1 car can bring 100,000 on to the streets of Bangkok I just think how many will come for the F1, When you conceder the extra thousands of overseas visitors flocking to Bangkok for the event, it is not the few thousand Baht they spend on the race tickets that counts but the other money they spend on hotels, transport, meals and entertainment , most will probable spend a couple of weeks in Thailand and most Thais will be looking forward to cashing in on it.

The one thing I am sure of is Thailand's hospitality will make it one of the popular venues on the F1 calender.

Yes I hear J.J is applying the finishing scratches to his fleet of new jet skis in anticipation of an increase in business.

I believe all that sort of mafia activity was wiped out over a 3 month period and is now in the back pages of the history books. The tourist areas are now blue ribbon locations free of all crime and corruption. If they can wipe out corruption in 3 months, teach "FLUENT" english in 6 months just imagine what sort award wining start of the art grand prix track they can build in 18 months. Will probably mean that the 1 km stretch of road they have been working on near our place for nearly 3 years will be delayed.

I.e. Singapore reels in around 120m USD extra in tourism revenue per year per F1 weekend.

If there would be no money to be made with it, F1 would most likely take place in Chernobyl...

Ok, so you have an estimated figure about the extra tourism figure , in Singapore, which is a completely different piece of cake compared to Thailand.Singapore attracts a different kind of tourism / tourists. The price of a hotel for example is 5 fold of a similar hotel in Thailand, so are prices of food and drinks a lot higher.We're talking about revenue, not profit.

Then, do you also have figures about the actual cost of such a race for the country, because 1200.000.000.000 is only the hosting fee?

How much do you estimate it will cost to make the roads in Thailand " acceptable " for a F1 race? Building a controll center and paddocks for the cars?

Organisation of the race? Publicity? Palm greasing? Pocket filling ?

You should understand that this is not a race weekend on Bira.

Think you have written yourself in a kind of tunnel-view frenzy here... Too tired to continue for now fighting over unlayed eggs... good night! No girlfriend, huh? Best regards to your right (or left) hand then smile.png

No it's no tunnel view, as I understand where you come from.

Of course all those infrastructure makes the economy run, but don't forget the corruption involved in this country, so who will be the winner at the end.

Wait, who pays for al those one time use infrastructures? I know it isn't Bernie, and it also isn't Chalerm, Yingluck or the man from afar.

As another poster said already, F1 can be compared with the Olympic games.especially in the case of Thailand as it was mentioned in the OP already that it probably will be a one time event.

It costs a lot of money and it will give no return, or do you want to say that London, Greece, China or so many other country's came out of the olympic organisation as winners?

Now where is my f***ing doll ? biggrin.png

didn't I return her last week? sorry about that.

1) to all you, who think they can pull it of, construction-wise, I have 2 words: airport link! "Opens in April 2008....ahm...September 2008....July 2009...ah, what the h@ll do I know, when they open!!??"

2) Great revenue??? Hotels in Thailand and especially Bangkok already do struggle, partly because of the funny "we have a problem and are empty? Let's raise the prices, so we can at least make money on the few tourists coming!"- principle. So for the F1- weekend, I guess, hotel- rates will be up by 4.000% ...and there will not be one additional tourist coming!

3) All over the world, F1 is facing decreasing spectator- numbers. With prices that no normal Thai can pay....what makes you think, it will be a success here?

4) No...they can't pull it off! Corruption, safety- issues, planning - faillures...I believe it, when I see it! Which means: I don't belive it!

"3) All over the world, F1 is facing decreasing spectator- numbers" -

You have to see the positive side in this. I see an opening for the F1 Grand Prix "HUB" of the world. That would have to be Thailands Blue Ribbon HUB.

• Like 1

Another step forward for Thailand on the world stage and no doubt it will be seen solely as a doom and gloom issue by a significant number of posters..

More like a step into the unknown. Yes - let's just see what pans out. If safety regulations and building standards are an issue, I would think it will be a long way off before we hear the growl of engines anyway.

Another step forward for Thailand on the world stage and no doubt it will be seen solely as a doom and gloom issue by a significant number of posters..

More like a step into the unknown. Yes - let's just see what pans out. If safety regulations and building standards are an issue, I would think it will be a long way off before we hear the growl of engines anyway.

Thailand for years has a huuuuuge INFRASTRUCTURE PROBLEM… and those problems can in Xtreme cases lead to death!!!!

USA F1 news the other day was the track would not be ready, so have postponed for a year. believe they have already started a year or so ago.. what chance would Thailand have for 2014 Race, as there still only talking about it ?

• 1 month later...