Short Cycling Routes Chiang Mai

mrireland

Looking to start cycling a few times a week to get fit, ideally maybe 1-2 hour round trips from leaving apartment to getting back, i live close to the 700th Stadium so ideally i want to spend as little time in traffic and as much time as i can in nice scenery if possibly, anotherwards i dont want to travel through the city to get somewhere nice so id rather something close to 700th stadium. Dont really know the area well, guess i could spend a few hours driving around and checking out where routes go but i figured someone might know a few gems.

It just to get fit so i dont want something really difficult to start with until i build up a bit of fitness. Any suggestions?

How much are bikes to rent out roughly for a standard montain bike per month, im not looking for anything fancy just something solid. What kind of prices for a standard mountain bike, maybe im better of buying, anyway appreciate any advice you can offer.

• 3 months later...

OK, I realize that this reply is coming a bit late, but there is actually a whole network of nice trails directly north of the reservoir at the 700-Pi stadium and one trail that connects this area with the Huay Tueng Tao lake. I have just explored this place during the last two weekends and I will post some pics when I get to it. It is also possible to go around the 700-Pi reservoir, although the forest trail on the west side is not negotiable by bike in some parts, at least not for the average mortal. Around Huay Tueng Tao there are many more dirt trails, some of them excellent, so the whole area provides hours of offroad fun and it's all relatively even without major climbs or downhill sections.

Cheers, CM-Expat

it's good psychologically to get away from traffic. It's just a matter of time before getting creamed by a vehicle. So much risk and so many uneducated no common sense drivers out there. It's a shame in such a beautiful place for cycling.

My go to safe ride is some variations around HTT. Can mostly stay off of canal road by taking the dirt paths etc on the west side of canal.

There is a trail from the north end of HTT at the Doi Suthep park road that goes over to Mae RIm. It goes just west of the military reservation.

it comes out here in Mae Rim

18°53'24.73"N 98°55'0.73"E

It's kind of tricky to find both ends.

OK, so here are the pics as promised.

post-61719-0-49865200-1358993336_thumb.j

GPS track of some of the tracks near 700 Pi stadium. There are more trails further north around HTT.

post-61719-0-49678800-1358993322_thumb.j

On the trail connecting HTT and 700 Pi.

post-61719-0-85138700-1358993324_thumb.j

Section with rocks.

post-61719-0-19537400-1358993327_thumb.j

Berm near 700 Pi reservoir.

post-61719-0-60543800-1358993329_thumb.j

Near 700 Pi reservoir. Obviously, these trails are also used by motocross drivers.

post-61719-0-92671600-1358993331_thumb.j

West of the 700 Pi reservoir.

post-61719-0-18702500-1358993334_thumb.j

Near Huay Tueng Tao.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Edited by chiangmaiexpat
  • Like 1

When do people like to ride for safety?

I usually ride early afternoon because it seemed in the past the drivers have sobered up and many of them are hunkered down for a nap etc.

Lately though just getting out of CM I have been unnerved by the bad driving. Big fat pickup trucks driving down the middle of the narrow road, people in the wrong lane on a blind corner.

I used to ride in the early morning and while there are fewer cars it seemed a small number of early go getters or drunkards were a hazard.

I guess it depends on where exactly. I mix up my rides between heading north to Mae Rim, to the south toward Samoeng or up to Doi Pui etc.

Thankfully when out in the boonies it seems fairly safe but I don't want to end up like my friend Alan who got hit and run by a motorbike in Mae Rim. He broke the head of his femur and not likely to walk for some months to come.

Its scary out there on the roads.

Anyone care to share their favorite times to ride around CM?

We ride trails quite regularly up in Mae Taeng and it is some of the best mountain biking in Thailand. Normal ride is under two hours with at least 75% of that in deep forest. If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I can send some specifics of our next ride. We normally have a ride every Sunday at 9:30.

OK, I realize that this reply is coming a bit late, but there is actually a whole network of nice trails directly north of the reservoir at the 700-Pi stadium and one trail that connects this area with the Huay Tueng Tao lake. I have just explored this place during the last two weekends and I will post some pics when I get to it. It is also possible to go around the 700-Pi reservoir, although the forest trail on the west side is not negotiable by bike in some parts, at least not for the average mortal. Around Huay Tueng Tao there are many more dirt trails, some of them excellent, so the whole area provides hours of offroad fun and it's all relatively even without major climbs or downhill sections.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Yes good trails up there. Was out this morning and saw lots of downed trees and branches across the trails throughout the 700 - HTT area.