New Trick By Bars In Soi Bhuakaow

thaisabai

I seen it and done it.. It is same same in Gran Canaria spain.... Kashba Metro Yumbo center .... Same same 2euro/beer

Buy 1 pay 2 get 2.....

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Basically the practice you are describing sounds like what in the US we call "2 drink minimum".

In fact, I seem to remember one of the Tony discos on WS used to have a 2 drink minimum for tourist men.

I seen it and done it.. It is same same in Gran Canaria spain.... Kashba Metro Yumbo center .... Same same 2euro/beer

Buy 1 pay 2 get 2.....

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Basically the practice you are describing sounds like what in the US we call "2 drink minimum".

In fact, I seem to remember one of the Tony discos on WS used to have a 2 drink minimum for tourist men.

With Tony's prices I'm not surprised. Who in their right mind would pay for a second drink otherwise!

It's not 2 for the price of 1 though, it's 2 for the price of 2.

Or if you only want one it's 1 for the price of 2

Still an attractive proposition?

I agree with you LongTimeLurker

I don't understand the reaction of many people here, or I suppose they drink tens of drinks and it's not a problem for them...

I don't like this practice; it's clearly forcing to buy more.

When I stop in a bar I usually stop for just 1 drink; I don't see why I should pay for 2!

Another one that just doesn't get it

YOU ARE BUYING 1 BEER FOR 75 BAHT AND GETTING TWO !

Who apart from an idiot has a problem with this ?

JEEEEEZ no scam just good business sense !

If you only want the one beer fine. You simply pay the nice lady behind the bar 75 Thai Baht for it.

If you are a normal person then you accept the second FREE beer and think what a result you have just had by getting TWO BEERS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE !

Now do you understand ?

No ? I thought not. maybe it should be included as a warning in lonely planet !

Maybe there is an opening for the Dummies guide book series

Drinking in Pattaya for Dummies thumbsup.gif

Seems like you are the one that doesn't get it so I'll make the maths simple for you.

Buy 1 beer = 40 Baht.

BUT by 1 get 1 free = 75 Baht.

Therefore second beer is not free, you get it at a 5 Baht discount.

But you only want 1 beer and still have to pay 75 Baht so you are overpaying by 35 Baht.

See simple to understand really isn't it?

But you only want 1 beer and still have to pay 75 Baht so you are overpaying by 35 Baht.

But TIT. You had only thought, mistakenly, that you wanted 1 beer. But then, knowing that TIT, you quickly changed your mind and realized that now you wanted 2 beers and were happy to get a 5 baht discount for both.

Yes, it really is.

Edited by JSixpack

I don't understand the reaction of many people here, or I suppose they drink tens of drinks and it's not a problem for them...

When I stop in a bar I usually stop for just 1 drink; I don't see why I should pay for 2!

If you only want the one beer fine. You simply pay the nice lady behind the bar 75 Thai Baht for it.

If you are a normal person then you accept the second FREE beer and think what a result you have just had by getting TWO BEERS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE !

Now do you understand ?

Seems like you are the one that doesn't get it so I'll make the maths simple for you.

Buy 1 beer = 40 Baht.

like I said at the start of this thread - it wreaks of scam

The reason I say this is how many unsuspecting punters enter the bar buy 1 drink and leave never knowing they had another drink coming (highly suspect) and paying over the odds, is this simply a get out clause when someone questions their bill after paying 90baht for a beer......I wonder

as I said at the beginning of this thread - if no price is displayed anywhere in the bar I haven't been too I'll ask before I order

Buy 1 beer = 40 Baht.

jeeze.. why is this so difficult.. if you have to pay 75thb for 1 beer then why do you keep claiming that 1 beer is 40thb? From a 7/11? Where are you pulling this price from? If the price in that bar is set a certain number then that is what a beer costs there.. period.

You guys have way too much time on your hands to bicker about such trivial things.

As has been said countless times, if you are so concerned with the price of the stuff you purchase, then ask the price first so you can make an informed decision as to if you want to purchase it there. Surely in Pattaya there is more than 1 place (or street) to buy a beer.

Buy 1 beer = 40 Baht.

jeeze.. why is this so difficult.. if you have to pay 75thb for 1 beer then why do you keep claiming that 1 beer is 40thb? From a 7/11? Where are you pulling this price from? If the price in that bar is set a certain number then that is what a beer costs there.. period.

You guys have way too much time on your hands to bicker about such trivial things.

As has been said countless times, if you are so concerned with the price of the stuff you purchase, then ask the price first so you can make an informed decision as to if you want to purchase it there. Surely in Pattaya there is more than 1 place (or street) to buy a beer.

Because as many have posted, including in the OP if you read it, the standard price in most bars in Buakhao is 40 Baht, at 75 Baht buy 1 get 1 free is false advertising and having to pay 75 Baht for 1 is daylight robbery.

Buy 1 beer = 40 Baht.

Because as many have posted, including in the OP if you read it, the standard price in most bars in Buakhao is 40 Baht, at 75 Baht buy 1 get 1 free is false advertising and having to pay 75 Baht for 1 is daylight robbery.

Name the bars where the standard price is 40thb please.

• Like 1

I'm not a beer drinker so I am completely out of touch with the prices for beer. I'm wondering what the same bottle of beer that some are claiming is sold for 40thb in the bars sold fro at a 7/11. It must be considerably less right?

The only places I ever drink are go-go bars and even on soi brokow I pay over 100thb for Jack Daniels.

I'm not a beer drinker so I am completely out of touch with the prices for beer. I'm wondering what the same bottle of beer that some are claiming is sold for 40thb in the bars sold fro at a 7/11. It must be considerably less right?

The only places I ever drink are go-go bars and even on soi brokow I pay over 100thb for Jack Daniels.

Its not a standard price by any means, but there are some bars in Pattaya New Plaza and Soi Bukhao that sell local brands such as Chang, Leo etc at 40 THB a bottle.

I've never been, but apparently there are couple of bars, half-way down Soi 8 that go below this and you can buy a glass of draft below 40 THB in some places.

JEEZ the sneaky B@stards. Lets hope it doesn't catch on elsewhere. This giving something away for free needs to be stamped out now ! whistling.gif

Where did you read that he got the second drink for free?

I read that they charge fro 2 drinks,regardless of the OP wanting only 1.

Well said jbrain!

Disregarding those who think the OP is being fastidious, I would argue that we should always be entitled to know what is on offer. If it's 50 baht for one, and 75 baht for two, well fine, then we have a choice that we can make.

I have often found that those who spout off on forums like this about how people should "get a life" are the first to complain when they're confronted with such "real life"...!!

Londondan, how do you react when things aren't quite right? Do you just deal with it, or go around calling everyone a dick?!

although it will take me some time to read through the 102 or 103 answers to my topic, it is nice to see one that makes sense, thank you

another answer that makes sense, thank you

Now do you understand ?

first of all before you shoot off a message like this, you should read my post carefully. I was charged 99Baht for a beer with the option of having a second one for free. since the same beer (1 beer) costs 40 Baht, you actually overpay by 19 Baht!

But it is not for the money, it is the practice that is wrong!

and for the Dummies book, I will look around if there is one "drinking inPattaya for Dummies" and will gladly send it to you!

I believe the problem here is not the "buy one" get two drinks principal, it's the fact that it is thrust on a customer without their knowledge and without any signs in the bar to indicate, it is only when an observant punter looks at his checkbin and asks why his 10baht drink was 90 baht that the bar reveals - it would be my guess that a lot of people don't question the price and never see a 2nd free drink.

IMO this is scam activity and I'd say most of those here trying to trash this thread are bar owners trying to trivialise charging 3x the correct price for a sangsom coke.

and the guys who are compareing saying these prices with BKK or samui claiming they are cheap have got it wrong - yours are rediculously expensive and these are priced correctly or even still overpriced, based on normal double up price practise from the west (my family own a bar) a samsong coke should be 20baht and a tiger beer 50baht or slightly less.

Some bar owners like realters here think that people that visit Thailand compare like for like to their home countries - fundamentally why some customers get ripped off and also why there are a number of savy customers that understand the economics and it's the bar that closes due to blatent stupidity.

I've said it many times and I'll say it again - thank god for family mart and 7/11 for keeping a stake in the ground when it comes to pricing.

I don't drink at 7/11's I go to bars that aren't afraid to have prices clearly advertised inside and out and have their prices set correctly, if a bar doesn't have prices displayed I'll ask first and if I don't like the price I'll walk away - simple, I'm not a cheap charlie but equally I know what price stuff should be here and don't like being ripped off - remember it costs a bar 10baht to put that samsong coke in the glass, you'll likely drink more of them than beers so it should be priced to reflect that compared to beer - some bar owners think their customers are generally clueless and sit and wonder why nobody ever drinks there cheesy.gif

Also one last thing to consider, some global companies use something called regonal marketing when they price their goods in a country - a can of coke will cost you over 1 pound in the UK - it is 14baht here whistling.gif

good post, thank you

The Op was doomed the minute he mentioned pouring out a beer post-4641-1156693976.gif

However I do think the bar owners are being disingenuous by not having the pricing policy up front.

If I went to burger king and asked for a whopper and was charged for two, I would have a right to complain, especially if I did not know I was entitled to a second one, and also if I only wanted one.

Of course, at Burger King the prices are clearly posted--apples and oranges.

And MOST bars don't have their prices clearly posted, though some do, esp to emphasize their lower prices. If I sit down at a bar w/o prices posted, which I haven't in quite a while as I prefer the go-gos, I'll expect to pay B65 maybe a bit more. Nor would I be particularly upset to be surprised by the 2-for-1 deal. I'd just drink them both and enjoy this particular bar a little longer than I'd anticipated.

But if I WERE upset and if this were SUCH an upsetting event, I'd just drink up politely anyway and then ask the price beforehand at the next bar. The OP's childish reaction is what's way over the top. The whole thing is so utterly trivial.

Better for the OP to stay away from 3rd World countries, for which he obviously lacks the temperament. I suggest Japan.

yeah, you really sound like a detached member.....enough said

I think the OP is simply stating that had he been informed by a menu or a placard that it was a two for one deal he could have gone elsewhere if he only wanted the one drink. Sometimes we all just pop into a bar and just have one drink and then move on if there is nothing much that tempts you to stay. To be fair he does say in his post that he is a newcomer to the area.

thank you

Now do you understand ?

Buy 1 beer = 40 Baht.

congratulations, you got it right

Now do you understand ?

Buy 1 beer = 40 Baht.

congratulations, you got it right

You seem to be all over the board here with you last batch of posts. He got it right? 2 beers for 75thb? You claim you paid 99thb no?

I find nothing "right" in the way you immaturely handled the situation by dumping your drink in the plant. If you pulled that stunt in any place I owned you'd be quickly banned from re-entry.

It's your right as the customer to know the price of the goods you are buying. My question to you is, at what point did you ask the price and were refused? Sounds like you made the mistake of assumption (in this case only makes an ass out of you!) and failed to ask the prices before you ordered. I'm not excusing the bar for running a promotion and the staff not informing the customers. But after all TIT and that is par for the course no?

It's no secret in any place what the prices are, just ask and I'm sure they will tell you. To expect them to have signs up with prices for every drink in a bar is just ridiculous.

As an example, most of the places that serve alcohol in the US (like restaurants don't even have prices listed on the drinks menu. The menu consists of what is on offer. For the prices, you must ask.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

I know 3 bars in Soi Bukhao and area which do the 2/1 ; Triangle, Barbie Bar, White Lotus, they all clearly announce this on an outside panel including the hours of operation and I think even inside(certainly for the Barbie).

• Like 1

I think he is saying exactly what I said a page or so ago.

The only bars where I have seen this, the offer is clearly displayed.

This whole thread is based on a false accusation about a problem that does not exist

Or NAME THE BAR!!!!!!!

Edited by kevkev1888
  • Like 1

^

The OP declared the following :

"in all these establishments there was no advertisement that you get a 2nd drink"

I mentioned 3 bars I know that advertise this practice, I should like to know the name of the establishments the OP refers to.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In the meantime I saw your post kevkev1888, indeed let the OP let us have these names, I could go there than also.

Edited by luckyluke
  • Like 1

I don't have any good opinion of the OP :

By not mentioning the names of the establishments he visited he is not helping this forum, some will like to know these names in order to not visit them because they only want to drink one beer.

Others, as myself, like the system and will be happy to know other places than the Triangle, Barbie Bar, White Lotus.

Or he made a mistake and didn't see the panels indicating the 2/1 advertisements,no big deal he just have to say it, everybody make mistakes.

Edited by luckyluke

I think he is saying exactly what I said a page or so ago.

The only bars where I have seen this, the offer is clearly displayed.

This whole thread is based on a false accusation about a problem that does not exist

Or NAME THE BAR!!!!!!!

Seems more and more likely a troll post by the OP.

• Like 1

^

The OP declared the following :

"in all these establishments there was no advertisement that you get a 2nd drink"

I mentioned 3 bars I know that advertise this practice, I should like to know the name of the establishments the OP refers to.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In the meantime I saw your post kevkev1888, indeed let the OP let us have these names, I could go there than also.

Hey guys

great response (118). I guess mainly bar owners.

well, I will end this with giving you 1 name in soi Lengkee (there are 3 other places there): "Place 2 bee".

no advertisement about 2 for one.

went there last night and had already pretty much enough in me, so I asked for ONE sangsom soda.

I got the drink, the bill (75 Baht) and a token for a 2nd one for free.

I told the lady, I only need one and the answer was "same price, 75 Baht".

Now I call this malpractice, because nowhere else (except night cubs, gogos) do you pay 75 Baht for one sang som soda.

the going price in this area is between 25 and 60 baht, mostly being 40 baht.

are you still saying you get one for free here?

anyway, don't want to upset more bar owners and close this topic.

cheers