My Pool....no Chemicals Required Except Ph Remover

weegee

Hi all,

I have raised this thread to let you all know that I installed a pool 4 months ago and used the newest system for pool water cleaning and sanitation.

I have done the test for the last 3 months and my Pool is crystal clear at all times and I rarely have to check on chemical content, like the old fashion way with Chlorine, etc etc.

I am using the Ioniser system, through a sand filter, in a fibreglass pool, acquired all here in Thailand, through an Australian guy... Anyone interested please let me know.....

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!...

• 1 month later...

Update....since last post above...I have only had to add chlorine once, 2 days ago.

The water is still crystal clear and The PH stays at around 6.8, which is perfect for the fibreglass pool I have.

I have the details if you wish to look into one of these Ionizers, which NASA use for the astro's i believe.

Happy swimming

Hi I have had a salt chrorinator for the past six years, and just add salt mainly in the rainy season, and its been crystal clear for the past six years, and I dont have to add chlorine.biggrin.png

because your chlorinator adds the required amount of chlorine laugh.png

• 3 months later...

Update....since last post above...I have only had to add chlorine once, 2 days ago.

The water is still crystal clear and The PH stays at around 6.8, which is perfect for the fibreglass pool I have.

I have the details if you wish to look into one of these Ionizers, which NASA use for the astro's i believe.

Happy swimming

Why the sudden need for chlorine?

sorry....been away and been busy....The copper was introduced at start up. Was told it didnt need to be done again so I havent done..

The Pool is operating still great, and yes even Bionizer told me to do chlorine checks every now and then. I would say , since the pool started months ago, I would have put 2 handfulls (375grms) of chlorine, actually into the pool.

Ok...I am not a salesman, and bought the whole pool package installed. I told the guy doing it, I wanted a virtually maintenance free setup, so the wife would not have to worry about it too much....

To answer all your questions, go to the web site for Bioniser, and have a look and decide for yourselves....I am really happy with my setup so far.

Web Site is....www.bioniser.com

[email protected]

Address is....

Bioniser Sales and Service

63 Mary St.

Noosaville

QLD 4566

Australia

Phone:- +61754730900

Hope the above helps, to answer all the questions.

So can you give any more detail.

How many liters or m³ is your pool ?

What was the cost of the ionizer?

How long are the diodes supposed to last and what is the cost of a replacement cell ?

Hi Jbrain,

I am about to check the diodes this coming week to find out....will let you know

This is what I could find about these kind of pools

First there are the 'metal ion' and 'mineral' systems that might also include oxidation by oxygen (not ozone). Some of them are active and use electricity and
metal electrodes to generate the ion and others use an erosion feeder with metallic salts like silver nitrate and copper sulfate that slowly dissolve to
put the ions in the water. These added metals (usually copper, silver, and/or zinc) can hardly be considered 'chemical free.' Metals do have algaestatic and
bacteriostatic properties but they have very slow kill times so they look better on paper then in actual use. They can be very effective for drinking water
purification since the water can sit in the tank for enough time for pathogens to be killed before being used (and this water purification usage is often cited
as a tribute to their effectiveness) BUT water purification is a closed system, while a swimming pool is an open system, meaning anything can and will drop into
the pool at any time, (such as bird droppings, sweat, urine and feces from bathers, dogs jumping into the water, etc.) For this reason a residual EPA
approved sanitizer with fast kill times such as one of the three above is needed.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html

Edited by jbrain

Hi jbrain,

Read your last post...Mine is electric and metal diodes.

I have just completed the tests on the pool an hour ago, and all I had to do was add a small amount to raise the PH a little...

I have a Swim/Spar pool, 6mtrs x 2.6mtrs x 1.5 mtrs deep....around 18000ltrs. I am using the Bioniser Mini-B type. I checked the pool also for copper content as Naam asked (Above post) and found all is correct and no copper etc has to be added...so far.Copper reading was what it's supposed to be...

I think the Ioniser costs about $200 if you dont buy the PH tree (auto add ) as an extra....which i didnt.

I cant answer how long until the diodes need replacing, as of today they dont even need cleaning yet,and thats just on 8 months.. so I can answer that question when the time arrives.

Hope this answers your questions....

the system is obviously not identical with the one i used in Florida. unfortunately the company's website is full with bla-bla and some ridiculous claims

"The Eco-Oxidizer is a product that oxidizes (eradicates) contaminants such as perspiration, suntan oils and even urine that create cloudiness or haziness in the pool water."

and

"Winning designs, superior knowledge and exceptional service have created satisfied, happy and pool savvy clients who have all…

! reduced their power bills by an extra mile,
! reduced their maintenance time by hours per month,
! reduced their water waste by thousands of litres per year,
! reduced their equipment and pool surrounds corrosion and rust to virtually zero,
! reduced their chemical and salt use by truckloads
"

but without giving any technical details of the procedure.

please keep us posted "weegee", perhaps it does work to your satisfaction.

Some of them are active and use electricity and metal electrodes to generate the ion and others use an erosion feeder with metallic salts like silver nitrate and copper sulfate that slowly dissolve to put the ions in the water. These added metals (usually copper, silver, and/or zinc) can hardly be considered 'chemical free.'

that was the system i used for some years in our Florida pool. although the pool was not exposed to direct sunlight there was no way to prevent algae bloom without additionally maintaining a high CL content of 2.5-3.0 ppm.

• 1 month later...

The claims on the American manufacturer's site are full of traditional US hyperbole and 'over-sell', even if the product does what it is supposed to. Much of the hype is based on the apparent 'disadvantages' of other systems. They claim to have sold 20,000 units worldwide, but that, compared to the sales of Zodiac, Emaux, Pentair, or Hayward, etc., SW Chlorinators is minimal.

Having downloaded the prices and checked, I think a zero has been missed of the price quoted above. The replacement self-sacrificlal copper annodes alone cost around $170 locally in the US. Add to those prices the CIF and customs duty and the Thai importer's margin (they need to purchase 6 units to get a wholesale price), and be absolutely sure that there is adequate customer support here.

I only know of one unit in operation, and that's in Nakhon Si Thammarat in a commercial pool.

• 9 months later...

the system is obviously not identical with the one i used in Florida. unfortunately the company's website is full with bla-bla and some ridiculous claims

"The Eco-Oxidizer is a product that oxidizes (eradicates) contaminants such as perspiration, suntan oils and even urine that create cloudiness or haziness in the pool water."

and

"Winning designs, superior knowledge and exceptional service have created satisfied, happy and pool savvy clients who have all…

! reduced their power bills by an extra mile,

! reduced their maintenance time by hours per month,

! reduced their water waste by thousands of litres per year,

! reduced their equipment and pool surrounds corrosion and rust to virtually zero,

! reduced their chemical and salt use by truckloads"

but without giving any technical details of the procedure.

please keep us posted "weegee", perhaps it does work to your satisfaction.

Hello Naam,

So far after all this time the pool is still going as expected.....I put a chlorine Tablet (about 6cm in Diam and about 2cm thick) in the skimmer box about every 2 months or so....The only thing I am having a bit of trouble with is the pollens from the Rubber Trees around us here....

YES....in short, I have no complaints with the system so far....

Rgds

weegee

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the wonderful world of running a pool on the fringes of Isaan (like me - but I'm on the south-western side in Sisaket).

Some chemicals (chlorine and acid) may be available locally at Watsadus or builder's merchants, but if there is no pool shop in NK then you'll be tripping it to Udon or further - so a bit of storage space needed to keep longer supplies than ideal. Alternatively one of the online shops (eg Swimming Pools of Thailand) - can make it much more expensive than when you are living in say Pattaya.

Just keep telling yourself that your water is a hell of a lot cheaper to compensate! [4 baht a cubic meter through our village mains!]

Not many pools around where I live - in fact I'm aware of only two pools in our whole Amphur, one public/one resort.

Edited by SantiSuk

• 1 month later...

Naam, and anyone interested,

The diodes have not been, (and dont need,) changed yet....and that's from when i put the pool in......

Yep the price of the diodes are approx $160AUD delivered here in Thailand....I checked just in case i need them.

Interesting....Just to add my two penneth in terms of total costs for my pool, now in it's 3rd year......using chlorine.

My pool is around 50,000 litres and uses 120 baht's worth of chlorine every 10 days in the summer, slightly less every 14 days in the winter. I shock the pool too about with 5kg of powder per year and I run my 0.75kW pump for 3 hours a day summer, 2 hours in the winter.

Chlorination equipment:- capital outlay zero baht.

Crystal clear? yeh, but no, but yeh, but no, to be honest I did have two lapses of concentration, cost me a tinge of green which took a fortnight to clear without the use of that ally crap, just patience.

I think that is pretty cheap, so would interested to hear of total running costs of these Dionised pools as a comparison, i.e the full story SVP.

PS. A friend of mine has a fiberglass pool with salt, lost all it's glaze after 18 months and looks really really old now after just 3 years, oh and the chlorinator packed up after 2 years. So glad I didn't go down that route......fiberglass or salt.

AllanB......Its Not the salt !!!! in the fibreglass Pool.....It's the resin used to make the pool in the beginning..Sounds like he also has a Calcium build up.....

The Gelcoat (which is the finished face) may be of inferior products...Put on by inexperienced gun handler (Spraygun) when the temp and humidity were not suitable to do.....Theres a lot in successfully getting it right with fireglass.

Truth to be told, Fibreglass Pools have the least maintenance than any other type of pool on the market....BUT it has to be constructed the right way first.

Edited by weegee

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Weegee,

I'm in the process of trying to decide between a fibreglass, hybrid or concrete pool. What model (and size) pool do you have and who is the supplier? What was the cost of installation?

Cheers

Interesting....Just to add my two penneth in terms of total costs for my pool, now in it's 3rd year......using chlorine.

My pool is around 50,000 litres and uses 120 baht's worth of chlorine every 10 days in the summer, slightly less every 14 days in the winter. I shock the pool too about with 5kg of powder per year and I run my 0.75kW pump for 3 hours a day summer, 2 hours in the winter.

Chlorination equipment:- capital outlay zero baht.

Crystal clear? yeh, but no, but yeh, but no, to be honest I did have two lapses of concentration, cost me a tinge of green which took a fortnight to clear without the use of that ally crap, just patience.

I think that is pretty cheap, so would interested to hear of total running costs of these Dionised pools as a comparison, i.e the full story SVP.

PS. A friend of mine has a fiberglass pool with salt, lost all it's glaze after 18 months and looks really really old now after just 3 years, oh and the chlorinator packed up after 2 years. So glad I didn't go down that route......fiberglass or salt.

A 0.75 kW pump is a 1 Hp pump, and a pump like that can never pump enough volume in 3 hours to cycle a 50.000 liter pool at least once a day.

That's the reason why your water is clear yeh, but no.

Interesting that the Health Departments in Australia frown upon Ionisers especially in commercial & public pools!!

They accept them only for assisting of sanitation.

Heavy metals are introduced to the environment when back washing.

Commercial pools now need back wash water tanks for a couple of days to store so as the chlorine dissipates before dumping into the system. However heavy metals just build up!!

The state of NSW now requires this water to be filtered and used for wash down of common areas.

Residual chlorine readings are required at varying times of the day and are monitored in public swimming pools by local authorities.

I have experience with over 1000's swimming pools in Aust, NZ & Thailand - mostly commercial with maybe a few 100 domestic and whenever an Ioniser was in place they nearly all had issues with them.

The general consensus was - they are more trouble than they are worth!!! wai2.gif

• 3 weeks later...

OP

You came onto this thread recommending a system with a posting that implied you were a simple novice pool consumer:

"Ok...I am not a salesman, and bought the whole pool package installed. I told the guy doing it, I wanted a virtually maintenance free setup"

15 months later we get:

"AllanB......Its Not the salt !!!! in the fibreglass Pool.....It's the resin used to make the pool in the beginning..Sounds like he also has a Calcium build up.....

The Gelcoat (which is the finished face) may be of inferior products...Put on by inexperienced gun handler (Spraygun) when the temp and humidity were not suitable to do.....Theres a lot in successfully getting it right with fireglass."

You caught on quick eh?laugh.png.

[Please forgive me if you are not a pool professional with an interest in the product you were recommending - I'm a cynical old fart I know and I guess that an innocent explanation might be that you build fibreglass boats]

• 1 year later...

I have had a Bionizer for 3 months in a small new cement and tile pool with a sand filter. I imported it from Australia. I found it trouble free. I have crystal clear water and use no chlorine at all. I have fluctuating ph and hard calcium issues from the well water. I am going to try to use a soft water filter from Raungsanthai Building supply to solve the calcium issued.

I owned a pool in the US and found I hated the smell of chlorine and found it irritated my skin, not to mention its a documented carcinogen. It also tended to ruin speedo swim suits. Now I have no smell of chlorine and no skin irritation. I get acid to lower ph and other supplies from Global Home in Korat or any needed pool equipment and also chemicals can get delivered from Raungsangthai Building Supply in Buriram even though its 2 1/2 hours away. They have some kind of cheap delivery service they have found. They are really helpful there.