First Time To Krabi

Isabellla

We were just there in December. What is your budget, entertainment needs, etc.?

We stayed in a riverside hotel in Krabi -- owners were friends of family. Hotel was good but basic. From the river docks you can take a longtail to Rai Lee beach, and from there to Ao Nang. Taxis take about 20 min to Ao Nang and aren't too expensive.

Good restaurant close to where we stayed -- called the Jungle Bar, a transplant from Phi Phi. Food was great, excellent sauces, great desert. Bit pricey by Thai standards, but not by mine.

Take the Phi Phi island tour by speedboat -- great all day trip! Multiple stops for snorkeling in beautiful, clear water.

If you want more info, let me know.

Our preference:

Good hotel with swimming pool and everything nearby by walk. We'd in Phuket,Hua Hin,Koh Samui,Phi Phi and Pattaya. Now we would like to try something different.

We were told that beaches in Krabi is good but we would like to know is there any sea lice in the beaches like in Phuket and Koh Samui.

We read that in the afternoon one can have a cocktail on the beach during sunset as Boracay.Is it true?

HOw is Ao Nang?

Thanks in advance

I Read this:

"AO NANG is possibly the 'spot' of KRABI - at least for the moment. It is the smaller version of Patong in Phuket, Chaweng on Samui, or the Night Bazaar od Chiangmai" .

Can you confirm this?

More info: maybe travelling July or August.

Question: what's the weather?

"AO NANG is possibly the 'spot' of KRABI - at least for the moment. It is the smaller version of Patong in Phuket, Chaweng on Samui, or the Night Bazaar od Chiangmai" .

Can you confirm this?

yes it is, Ao Nang is the center beach of krabi , include night life/resturant and etc..

the weather on July or August could be fine,

WEATHER

Krabi has two predominant seasons. One is the hot season and the other the wet season or the Rainy season, but we have to be more detailed.

Hot season is from January to April and this is followed by the so called rain season. However rain occurs mainly in the evening hours from May to December. Unfortunately most travel guides and magazines available anywhere or on the internet are simply calling it rain season ( monsoon season) but do miss to specify at what time in fact it is really raining. This is unfortunate for the whole of Thailand. Rain Season is ver different within the Kingdom of Thailand. If if comes to the south of Thailand( Krabi, Phuket, Koh Samui, Kao Lak etc. ) maijor rains do happen between the end of October and mid of December. But as we said earlier, it is raining mostly in the evening hours while on the day time there is a change of sun and cloudy skies. For a sunlover this might not be paradise, on the other hand for let us say a moderate sunlover it is much more relaxing then the hot season.

In general it is very pleasant if a rain shower is cooling of the heat and moisture in the air.

Most rain does occur in the month of November where one could face 2-3 days without sunshine.

Krabi is in the North west Monsoon area.

The temperature in Krabi changes from 16.9 degrees to 37.3 degrees Celsius.

webcam at krabi http://www.webcamthailand.com/

Bambina

What resort hotel do you recommend?And which beach?

We would like to stay with everything nearby and within walking distance.

Are there any sea lice on the beach?

i replied some questions like this before, so i quote myself to you ..BTW , about sea lice, i dont think it has.. :D (im not sure..but i did not get any lesion from it)

i went to Krabi last week..the final answer is "Pranang Inn" (you have to find agencies from net I book 2000 bht /day (include breakfast) while neighbor paid 2800bht!!) at this hotel you can reach the beach in 10 m. with 2 swimming pools

http://www.phrananginn.com/

this place is quite nice, not to loud noise

i think its good idea to live at Ao Nang Beach coz its the center of anything (food /long tail boat taxi)

if we

you can see the Review from this thread Bambi's Adventure

hotell-ao-nang-beach-map.gif

at the map of ao nang (if we seperate it for 3 part) the left side and the right side = swiming aread , at the middle is for boat park

the right side (start from Phra nang Inn) the beach is longer

i dont think noppharat beach is nice for me, in afternoon..its too low tide and the beach is sort of course sand+small rock

enjoy

Bambi :o

where is located the nightlife or where is the zone of the restaurants?Could you point in the map or tell which hotels are surrounding that area?

Really appreciate you help.

you can find some of restaurant around Noppharat Beach , and much more at Ao nang beach..start from left side(wanna place) to right side(tipa resort)

you can find some of restaurant around Noppharat Beach , and much more at Ao nang beach..start from left side(wanna place) to right side(tipa resort)

[/quote

Noppharat Beach or Ao Nang Beach?Which is more expensive?

Many thai tourists on Noppharat Beach, you can walk and sunbath there before the tide come, nice and quiet, but Ao Nang has more hotels and nicer to walk in the evening. For me I would like to stay at Aou Nang, used to stay at Aou Nang Beach Resort, very nice place and not far to walk around. To spend on the beach I love to take a boat for 50 Baht each , 15 mins from Aou Nang to Railey Beach, very niceeeeeee place and not far, white sand and clear water. Humm...dream to go there again. YOu can find reasonable price at Ao Nang too, Nopparat Beach is rather quiet and if you want to come to Ao Nang you have to take a small bus again.

Edited by Saothai

[/quote

Noppharat Beach or Ao Nang Beach?Which is more expensive?

Many thai tourists on Noppharat Beach, you can walk and sunbath there before the tide come, nice and quiet, but Ao Nang has more hotels and nicer to walk in the evening. For me I would like to stay at Aou Nang, used to stay at Aou Nang Beach Resort, very nice place and not far to walk around. To spend on the beach I love to take a boat for 50 Baht each , 15 mins from Aou Nang to Railey Beach, very niceeeeeee place and not far, white sand and clear water. Humm...dream to go there again. YOu can find reasonable price at Ao Nang too, Nopparat Beach is rather quiet and if you want to come to Ao Nang you have to take a small bus again.

Thanks for the info.

By the way do you know if Ao Nang Beach or Noppharat Beach has restaurants or bars right on the beach in order to get a drink and watch during sunset?

Thanks for the info.

By the way do you know if Ao Nang Beach or Noppharat Beach has restaurants or bars right on the beach in order to get a drink and watch during sunset?

Good grief, YES!! Both do, as you have already asked and been told. The Last Fisherman on Ao Nang Beach and Luna Bar on Nopparat Thara. Any basic web search (Google /Thai Visa) will turn up this sort of information e.g. about weather and places to stay - why not try this before posting (and re-posting) such questions? Pure laziness?

Many cute places to sit and watch sun set. I went many times at a small bar on the beach, sorry cant remember the name, but really nice place, near the many stars hotel. Watching the sun there is really romantic. Isabella, please check the weather in advance, as July and August are still our rainy time. Have heard Krabi has strong windy and monsoon too. I have no idea at that time as I went on Feb. I really love Krabi and wish to visit Ao Nang again...

Thanks for the info.

Good grief, YES!! Both do, as you have already asked and been told. The Last Fisherman on Ao Nang Beach and Luna Bar on Nopparat Thara. Any basic web search (Google /Thai Visa) will turn up this sort of information e.g. about weather and places to stay - why not try this before posting (and re-posting) such questions? Pure laziness?

I want to get new updates from Ao Nang and of course is not laziness.

I'm a member and it's my right to ask question whenever I want.

If it helps I stayed at the Vogue Pranang Bay Resort & Spa, we booked the hooneymoon room and it was very very nice.The facilities are good and the wife loved the spa treatment,Didn't think much to the nightlife but was nice to sit having a meal on the evening down by the water and its good for day trips to the Islands.

:o EPG.

Pra Nang is very nice scenery. But I am always a little disturbed by the water taxi to get there. Many of them do not provide any life jackets at all. Last time I was traveling with my brother and his little daughter of 4 years old. There was no life jacket at all and on the way the boat hit a high tide caused by another speeding taxi boat and the boat almost turned over with tons of water rushing in the boat. The little kid almost got thrown out into the sea by the shaking. I almost fell over board as well. If the boat had turned over, I think without a life jacket I won't be here anymore.

So I think we as tourists who spend huge money for this country and help the Thai economy need to protest the total lack of concern for our safety in this nation.

In thailand nobody is responsible for you only yourself.

If you see a taxi boat without life jackets don't get in.

If a song theaw is speeding, get out.

If you drive a motorbike wear a helmet.

If you go swimming check yourself if it is known for rip currents.

etc.etc.etc...

Never expect someone will be responsible and absolutely not accountable if something happens to you.

If you spend your holiday more aware of this things should be fine.

If you accept danger to you then that is what you do, you accept it and it will not change the behavior of the one who is offering the service.

Take your watertaxi as an example, if nobody gets on board because there are no life jackets, there will be livejackets instantly. I don't accept it, and i do get my lifejackets or take another taxi or means of transportation, especially with children.

Same in other situations. Don't accept it. It is the only way to change things because it will be bad business and they will loose money. Only thing they understand.

And ask everything you need to know BEFORE.

Not complain afterwards.

It is not how things work here.

edit: typos

Edited by Khun Jean

Pra Nang is very nice scenery. But I am always a little disturbed by the water taxi to get there. Many of them do not provide any life jackets at all. Last time I was traveling with my brother and his little daughter of 4 years old. There was no life jacket at all and on the way the boat hit a high tide caused by another speeding taxi boat and the boat almost turned over with tons of water rushing in the boat. The little kid almost got thrown out into the sea by the shaking. I almost fell over board as well. If the boat had turned over, I think without a life jacket I won't be here anymore.

So I think we as tourists who spend huge money for this country and help the Thai economy need to protest the total lack of concern for our safety in this nation.

Thanks Expataz and Malmo it helps me of course

• 1 month later...

Maybe it's just me ..... but Ao Nang sucks as a "beach" but is great as a place to have a hotel. In 4 trips there I have only seen a few Thai kids playing in the water there. No one on the beach there.

That being said ; I stay at Ao nang 50% of the time. Had Raileh is the place for the beach .... only good beach in the area! Ao Nang is "tour central" for Krabi ... where most speedboats etc go out from and as such is a great Place to base yourself out of ... It also has a stunning view of the bay itself.

Had Raileh has 2 sides to it (it's a peninsula) accessible by water taxi from Ao nang cheaply. One side is kinda nasty .... a mangrove area with cheap housing ... the other side is NICE!

In addition to this website you should gooogle ... look at the thorntree at lonely planet's website and get an LP Guide.

I love Krabi Resort at Ao Nang. It has been there 25 years!!!! Once you are inside the complex you feel really protected. Great pool, all rooms have aircon, TV, hot water and the buffet breakfast is brilliant. Views superb too.