Klong Toei Slum Under Close Scrutiny

Lite Beer

ANTI-DRUGS STRATEGY

Klong Toei slum under close scrutiny

The Nation on Sunday

30192733-01_big.jpg

PM Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday greets people who have undergone a drug rehabilitation programme, as she presides over the opening ceremony of Ban Oonjai under the Chumchon Oonjai (heart-warming community) Project in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Addicted youths sent for treatment amid crackdown

Thailand will employ a proactive strategy in tackling drugs, the secretary of the National Narcotic Prevention and Supression Commission, Pol General Pongsapat Pongcharoen, said.

The offensive will take place throughout the Kingdom, starting with 12 communities in Klong Toei slum, and will involve monitoring those who have been treated after they were found to have drug addiction, he said.

Pongsapat, who is also a deputy chief of the National Police, said in the weekly television programme "PM Yingluck meets the people" that over the past year many big-time drug dealers had been arrested. But he was still concerned about drug addiction and trafficking in communities in Bangkok and its surrounding provinces.

This, he said, had led to the designation of various communities in order to better tackle the problem and many youths have given tips to the authorities while some of those affected in communities were yet to receive proper care that should include post-addiction livelihood training.

Pongsapat cited Klong Toei slum as the most drug-prone, especially in areas called Lock 1-3 and Lock 4-5 over a 70-rai area and occupied by some 7,000 to 8,000 people.

Some 3,000 youths were thought to be at risk, said Pongsapat, and the authorities had surrounded the communities to "x-ray every inch over a 90-day period", which began on October 1. That includes police patrols, installing CCTV cameras and officers at all the 18 entrance and exits. This, he said, had led to many arrests so far.

Another measure is to campaign in the community that those addicted are like sick people and since October 14, 106 people, including parents and youths, had voluntarily sought drug treatment. These people were being sent to various treatment centres and it would take from 45 to 120 days for the rehabilitation process to conclude.

The Education Ministry has also been asked to help look after children who have no access to education in the areas. Deputy Premier Chalerm Yoobamrung has been appointed as director of Palang Paendin (Power of the Land) Centre that seeks to win the "war on drugs".

Throughout the country, 878 districts will deploy a strategy similar to what is being used in a Klong Toei slum, including crackdowns on drug transport and trafficking. Three areas in Bangkok will be particularly targeted along with nine provinces.

More than 400,000 people have been rehabilitated so far and the government is trying to introduce a one-stop service centre.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Yingluck went to a Klong Toei slum yesterday to inaugurate the Baan Unjai Project (Reassuring Home Project), coinciding with the crackdown on drugs in the area.

Yesterday morning, two drug users were arrested in the area for possessing "ice".

Dusit Poll, meanwhile, revealed that a majority of respondents supported Priephan Damapong as deputy premier to tackle the drugs issue.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-21

Everyone can walk in a pharmacy here and buy almost everything. From codeine to valium.. the choice is your's.

Thats a real problem.

Not a problem in my book- even if it were so..

The war on drugs has been no more successful than US prohibition in the 1920's, succeeding only in putting drug profits in the wrong pockets, costing billions each year for enforcement and prisons, and making criminals out of a huge section of folks that don't hurt anyone but themselves. A lot like people who drink alcohol and smoke... um.. whatever.

Legalize it, control quality and distribution networks, tax the beejeezus out of it and use some of the money to rehab those who want it. Again, not unlike booze.

Once again I repeat my question. How may rum runner shootouts have we had lately?

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Everyone can walk in a pharmacy here and buy almost everything. From codeine to valium.. the choice is your's.

Thats a real problem.

Where is that?

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect App

Wheres that!! are you serious??

I agree theyre a joke.

What you can buy without prescription is normally fake valium and not the real deal. Some years ago it wasn't a problem but today it is no longer easy as it was. Codeine I do not know, but one pharmacy refused to sell Tramadol for me( I need it sometimes for backpain), even here in the forum people say it is OTC.

Edited by hanuman2543

Thats a real problem.

Drugs, difficult problem. However not everyone reacts the same to drugs. I have in the past used xtc and many of my friends did too. They held a job and just used it in the weekends like once every 2 weeks. I used weed too no problems either. Many others did not have a problem too.

Just like with alcohol its a small group that gets addicted, question is should you ban it all just to protect a few at the expense of the freedom of others.

I do feel that you should never use drugs alcohol included to operate any vehicle ever. Its totally immoral to endanger others. But it seems among expats that drinking and driving is widely accepted.

For the record i haven't used drugs since i left my country the Netherlands. We don't have much of a problem compared to other countries. I am also not inclined to use drugs at this point as it does not work together with the rest of my lifestyle now.

Thats a real problem.

Where is that?

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect App

Wheres that!! are you serious??

I agree theyre a joke.

What you can buy without prescription is normally fake valium and not the real deal. Some years ago it wasn't a problem but today it is no longer easy as it was. Codeine I do not know, but one pharmacy refused to sell Tramadol for me( I need it sometimes for backpain), even here in the forum people say it is OTC.

Tramadol is sold in ANY boots and watson pharmacy. I used to buy it a lot after my knee surgery earlier this year.

Its perfectly legal in thailand.

Also what you describe as fake is most likely the generic version of the drug.

A real fake as in non working medication isnt something i came across in all the years in asia. Maybe if you buy it from street vendors in patpong or sukhumvit but pharmacies dont usually sell non working medication - but hey, i am not an expert so i am excited to hear your story about the fake drugs.

Edited by PomRakBKK

Thats a real problem.

Drugs, difficult problem. However not everyone reacts the same to drugs. I have in the past used xtc and many of my friends did too. They held a job and just used it in the weekends like once every 2 weeks. I used weed too no problems either. Many others did not have a problem too.

Just like with alcohol its a small group that gets addicted, question is should you ban it all just to protect a few at the expense of the freedom of others.

I do feel that you should never use drugs alcohol included to operate any vehicle ever. Its totally immoral to endanger others. But it seems among expats that drinking and driving is widely accepted.

For the record i haven't used drugs since i left my country the Netherlands. We don't have much of a problem compared to other countries. I am also not inclined to use drugs at this point as it does not work together with the rest of my lifestyle now.

Why take the risk in the first place? No-one knows what the outcome will be by introducing any substances into your body. Those that take the first step are playing Russian roulette and as in RR, not much chance of return if the chamber is full. Sheer stupidity no matter how you try justify it.

The last ones I bought in the Issaan and Hua Hin in pharmacies and not on the street did not work at all. So following your definition they were a "fake". My experience of the last years is: If you want to have the real ones, get a prescription or go to Laos or Cambodia.

Thats a real problem.

Why take the risk in the first place? No-one knows what the outcome will be by introducing any substances into your body. Those that take the first step are playing Russian roulette and as in RR, not much chance of return if the chamber is full. Sheer stupidity no matter how you try justify it.

People have used drugs since the beginning of time. I am pretty sure you drink alcohol. Its classed a drug too if you look at its effects. So is nicotine and many others. Alcohol is actually one of the most devastating drugs there is. People get violent from it, many diseases related to it. Much worse as weed.

• Like 1

The real problem to the drug issue are the corrupted politicians who are behing it, the crooked senior policemen and also army generals and also certain hiso thai chinese entrepreneurs. Get this people first and execute them and their immediate families and the problesm will be solved.

The last ones I bought in the Issaan and Hua Hin in pharmacies and not on the street did not work at all. So following your definition they were a "fake". My experience of the last years is: If you want to have the real ones, get a prescription or go to Laos or Cambodia.

amazing how you can buy xanax and valium and if caught you'd be done for it, but nothing would happen to the pharmacy.

also, they're most definitely not all fakes in thailand, you were just probably unlucky.

to be clear, i'm not promoting illegal activities, people should get prescriptions etc.

Edited by nurofiend

Thats a real problem.

Oh please! you sound just like this Finnish guy I met once on Koh Jum, he would get pissed and obnoxious every night and lecture me about smoking weed!

You sound loads of fun.