Condominium Titled (Town)House

And that is why they are not available, the prices would skyrocket for the Thais, too.

Yes, that's true. But it's also denying Thais who already own them the chance to sell them for a higher price.

But at least they would get modernised and Bangkok would look better. It's a shame that so many townhouses are left to rot. Many could be truly beautiful if renovated properly.

A viable alternative to a complete ban could be to allow foreigners who live here to purchase them for their own use. So no investment purchases and no renting out.

One option is to buy in the name of your gf/wife if you have one. I'm not entirely sure, but I think if you can buy one via a company if it's bought for a business. But that would mean running a business from it.

I would even be happy to rent one, but I haven't seen any in central areas that are renovated to western standards.

Edited by davejones

Renovating only has use when your neighbors are also renovating.

Water leakage is the main problem with townhouses. The improperly designed roofs have to many weak points.

Second the waste water can be a problem.

Most of the townhouses look nice when they are freshly build, come back three years later and they look like a dump.

There are always exceptions of course.

However i do see a very slow trend of Thai people making their place more beautiful. Unfortunately it is mostly done by painting but it is a start. Middelclass is growing so hopefully the trend continues.

In a city with high humidity, it is very difficult to keep everything looking good.

It requires lots of maintenance and/or high quality products.

Both are in short demand.

Townhouses are already expensive, i think when foreigners would be able to buy them they would be completely out of range for Thais. And since it is their country, a good policy to protect its citizens.

There are enough options to own, as long as you contribute something. (Buying beer and renting female companionship is not considered contributing. :) )

If you are not contributing to the economy then accept the lack of options. At least there are options available, talked about ad nauseum.