Would You Buy Grey Market Motors?

corkman

Hi All,

In the market for a BMW X1 or a new 3 series.

Please can someone inform me - what are downsides to the grey market, and can these be mitigated in any way?

Is there huge savings to be had that make the downsides worthwhile?

Can nayone give me an idea of price differentials on say:

X1 18i

X1 20d

3.18i

3.20d

Thanks

CM

While there's been rapid growth in the number of grey market dealers in the past 4-5 years, and certainly some in that lot that feel a little 'fly by night', there are some long established players that have great facilities, great pre and after sales service, and don't show any signs of disappearing anytime soon...

It's not too hard to separate the newcomers / light operations from the more serious ones... Simply ask the dealer how long they've been in business, ask to tour their service center(s), ask them who honors the warranty they offer, ask them how many locations they have, and what sort of assistance they can provide you with upcountry. You'll soon be able to work out which are the reputable ones...

As for the cars being asked about:

Lower end BMW X1 and 3 Series are locally assembled, so highly unlikely you'll find a grey import of these models (unless the importer felt lucky they'd get an early adopter). The only grey market versions I've seen of these are higher capacity models (e.g. M3) that aren't assembled in TH.

Fortuner is also made in Thailand, and highly unlikely you'll find a grey market imported version from Indonesia ;)

BMW assembled in Thailand ? Am i dreaming ?

Details please ? I never hear this before. Which models exactly ?

What about Benz ?

Thanks.

Some info here:

Pretty easy to spot which of the 3-series/C-class are locally assembled - they're the ones that appear in the price list before the inexplicable price jump :)

BMW assembled in Thailand ? Am i dreaming ?

Details please ? I never hear this before. Which models exactly ?

What about Benz ?

Thanks.

The X1, X3, 3,5,7 series. At Rayong. Probably next to Chevy and Ford. Same complex I bet. The assembly guys probably have Sum Tum together during breaks and talk about the new D-Max.

if the Diesel version is imported and they only assemble the Petrol version here, then overpay for the Diesel X1 if you just HAVE to HAVE a crappy X1.

Enjoy the Popeye forearms.

Edited by thaicruze

So, why do they keep selling their cars so expensive if they are assembled here ?

I don't want to buy a car assembled by Somchai between 2 SOMTAM and 2 beers and expect for this price a German doing it, how to make sure ?

Which Benz is also assembled here ?

Thanks.

So, why do they keep selling their cars so expensive if they are assembled here ?

I don't want to buy a car assembled by Somchai between 2 SOMTAM and 2 beers and expect for this price a German doing it, how to make sure ?

Which Benz is also assembled here ?

Thanks.

C, E and even S class. The cars are assembled but the engines are imported CKD, that's why they attract high duties.

• Like 1

It is unfortunate that some people on this forum do not allow facts to spoil a good story. BMW Thailand Ltd do not assemble the latest 2012 model X3 in Thailand, it is an import from Germany. The X1 however, a significantly lower Tech and lesser quality vehicle, is though.