Population Passes 62.4 Million

george

Population passes 62.4 million

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's total population rose almost exactly 1% last year to nearly 62.5 million persons by the end of 2005, new census figures show, an increase of about 440,000 persons from 2004. Females now surpass males by almost 800,000, said Interior Minister Air Chief Marshal Kongsak Wanthana, who introduced the updated figures.

ACM. Kongsak said Thai population nationwide totaled 62,418,054 on December 31, 2005, with women outnumbering men by 31,599,425 to 30,818,629.

Bangkok and 18 other provinces had populations higher than one million.

The capital had most people with 5,658,953 officially registered residents, followed by the northeastern provinces of Nakhon Ratchasima and Ubon Ratchathani with populations registering 2,546,763 and 1,774,808 persons respectively.

The southern resort province of Ranong had the lowest population with 178,122 persons listed at the end of 2005, he added.

--TNA 2006-02-05

Call me a cynic, a skeptic, a pessimist, a critic, or a doodoo, but how do they count Thais? Is their methodology any better than it was in the USA and Mexico, neither of which counted me in their 2000 census when I was an expatriate living in Mexico?

Are their statistical methods for national censuses any more accurate than their press releases?

When they say "registered population" they basically mean people who "officially" live in Bangkok. I'm fairly sure that they use the tabien baan registry to report on who lives where. Of course, according to her tabien baan, my wife lives in Sukhothai, her sisters live God knows where and I don't exist at all.

The official figures for BKK are at least two or three million people too low and some of the provincial figures are too high.