Translation Please

Tufty

I was first called 'falang kee nok' about 10 years ago when on Koh Chang. A little shit called me it as I walked past him. I was in shorts and T-shirt and had longish hair. I am blue-eyed and very fair-skinned. There is no way on earth that I could have been mistaken for a 'half-falang kid'. He was just repeating an insult which is muttered everyday by his brothers, sisters, mother, father(s), grandparents, et al. At that time Koh Chang was visited mainly by backpackers wanting to smoke Cambodian weed. They were not the cleanest nor well dressed of people. It is an insult. I don't hear it directed to me so much nowadays - I generally dress 'lor' and associate with Thais who wouldn't dream of insulting me (to my face!).

A couple of years back in the classroom as I was monitoring group talk I heard it said behind me. I span round and glared at the students (adults). For the rest of the lesson the three of them didn't raise their heads and there was an awkwardness in the air as other students got wind of what had been said. At the end of the class the three of them apologised very sincerely for using that expression in the classroom and were at pains to point out that they were not referring to me. (Of course someone will now post that Thais never apologise because that would show loss of face)

Could the generally accepted meaning have changed over time? Like how 'gay' has in English.

Today I will hopefully be meeting the owner of a speak Thai webpage. We have very blunt converstions regarding slang idioms and insults. I'll put forward all the posted definitions and see how they are rated.

Then again, why bother as all Thais are just too polite to hurt our sensitive feelings. Right?

QUOTE (sjoca1 @ Thu 2004-01-29, 13:33:14)
In all, after the talk and the information I was given, I find it hard to believe some of the posts regarding immigration. I think on the whole, they are pretty good but have to deal with a lot of farang Kii Nok.

The above is where I first saw Farang Kii Nok

As I recall sjocal is a Farang student of Thai Language

and apparently found it amusing to use it in this way.

The thread is at:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5424&st=15

Sorry to interupt mrentoul and lamphun

please continue ...

Roger

sjoca1

Are you reading this Thread?

What is your Translation?

You are the one I was quoting ...

Roger

Farang Kii Nok literally means "farang bird shit". I hear a lot of Thais referring to certain farnags this way and when I am with Thai friends I often use it myself to refer to certain farangs. There are lots of farang Kii noks who study at Sasin in fact!! (Sorry Chris!!) It kind of encompasses a few meanings such as a 'farang' back packer type .i.e a grotty looking person, out of luck, here for all the wrong reasons..a reject of his own country so to speak! But it can also be used in friendly fooling around kinda way.

I've also heard it used in the context of a farang who is "Kii niaw" stingy with money..hence kii niaw farang kii nok. The word kii can be used with a lot of adjectives.

Anyway, there are far too many "farnag kii nok" in Thailand and if someone was called this by a Thai, I suspect there would be rather apparent reasons for it!! :o

My wife tells me the real meaning for "Farang Kii Nok" is "Pattaya Farang."

But she could be biased. :o

I have seen several Farang Lor in Pattaya, so I tend to think she actually means "nearly all Pattaya farang" :D:D:D

The falang is bird shit

I think it means a low class, poor looking person. The Thais like to use it to describe those fat, tattooed, drunken slobs that inhabit beer bars, walk around in Singha vests that haven't been washed for days, and with a scraggy bargirl in tow.

I just talked to an Thai ajarn and she agrees most with the definition Longsands has provided. Basically, it's like calling someone "ghetto" and everything that goes along with, especially a bad attitude. If you're bargaining with someone and they call you kee nok it's not because they think you're cheap. They just don't like your manners when you bargain and you've done something to insult them, like raising your voice in frustration, inadvertantly making ugly faces, or revealing somehow your true feelings of the situation.

She also says that she has never heard of this term being applied to look-krungs (half farang kids). However, language is dynamic and, as of last week, could very well be applied to the little brats.

Cheers all.

My wife tells me it is used to refer to foreign men who are insincere, unfaithful, and 'spread their seed' from girl to girl, (likened to the s**t of a bird being dropped from tree to tree.

We know of many Thai males (family and others) to whom it equally applies - if not more- so. Khon Thai kee nok!

Yep, always heard of it as a reference to: Low class, cheap, non-tipper, etc.

Dkstoney, you called half-farangs "look-krungs" literally "Half Children". I have never heard this term. I usually hear "Farang Noi" Lit. "Small Westerner", but really means 'a bit western'. I wonder if these terms and meanings are just colloquialisms; if so, we are never going to agree.

Ask a four year old English kid what 'Moo' is, and they say 'Cow'; a four year old Thai would say 'Pig'.

Ask an American kid what a 'trunk' is they explain the storage area at the back of the car; ask an English kids, they say either an elephants nose or some luggage. Yet they speak the 'same' language. colloquialisms!

So Jai Yen guys.

As far as I know, kee nok applies only to farang people and means in a nutshell (the exact translation was given earlier,..) farang without MONEY or poor in a "bad" way.

It does not apply to Thai and I never heard any Thai people qualifying other Thai people of being kee nok (so you can understand how bad it is,...)

Well I know the meaning has changed several times over the years but in the 60's it was used to by Thais to describe Farangs who were laid back but that things came easy for as in learning to speak Thai. In late 69 or 70 I thin the term change to describe a cheap Charlie Farang by the bar girls in Bangkok and esle where. I have heard it used as others have stated in various parts of the country. Words or phrases evolve and change to fit the times. I have used it to close friends in this way"Coon Thai kii nok"

One thing I can't get my head round is "Man Sai" can anyone help me with this my girl says it to me often but says she can't explain.

I don't think its very good because she said the same about an ex g/f, when I asked again what it meant she still can't explain but told me when it's said to me it's a joke but not the same with the ex  :o

Hi,

I think the difficulty in explaining MAN SAI หมั่นไส้ stems from the fact that there is no direct translation in English. This is a case where the Thai language is richer than the English language and no single English word will convey its meaning.

Anyhow, I saw the following 3 explanations given at another message board for MAN SAI หมั่นไส้:

Explanation 1:

Usually the word is used when someone shows off something and you feel like saying "that's a bit much. tone it down a little, would ya?"

usage example:

'Look at Ton and his girlfriend. Whenever they are together in public, they always giggle openly, hold hands, look so happy. I really feel "man sai" of them.'

It's certainly not as strong as "disgusted". It's more friendly than that.

Explanation2:

Those who told you that MAN SAI หมั่นไส้ has multiple meanings are correct. Actually, I'd say rather than multiple meanings, however, that it might be termed different levels of meaning. Just like many words in English, it does depend on context, tone of voice, and relationship with the speaker.

MAN SAI หมั่นไส้ can be used straightforwardly to mean disgusting as in "That's disgusting" or "That disgusts me." If you were talking to a stranger about something that really disgusted you and used the term, it would be taken much the same as it is in English.

On the other hand, like the other reply said, it more frequently is used in a less harsh fashion, almost teasing or sarcastic. For instance, when I'm obviously saying something to win points or "suck up" to my mother-in-law, my wife will respond with "อุ๊ยหมั่นไส้ หมั่นไส้จริงๆ" In this context, I might translate it as, "Oh man, you gotta be kidding me" or "can you believe this guy?"

Explanation 3:

Culturally, whenever we say MAN SAI "หมั่นไส้" or "น่าหมั่นไส้", there must be something 'unacceptable' or 'disgusting', e.g. trying to lick a boss's feet, kissing or being too romantic with lovers in public, using too sweet expressions, wearing strange clothes, etc.

Hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone help with translation of the following, please?

Mia noi

Mia tee nung.

I think the mia concept has been explained before on another thread.

Mia means wife in Thai.

Up to the 1930s, in Thailand, it was legal to have more than one wife.

The first wife was therefore called mia tee nung or mia luang

and all the others, mia noi or minor wifes.

Since it has been illegal for more than 60 years, NOBODY in Thailand has a mia noi anymore, so mia alone should be used,... :o:D

Sorry, it sounds like Bluecat has been on the Lao Khao.

Mia Noi's are still very common. It means second wife, or really mistress, since it cannot be a legal arrangement.

Big trouble if Mia ti nung, first wife, finds out!! The you end up sleeping Nok Bahn,

outside.

Sorry, it sounds like Bluecat has been on the Lao Khao.

Mia Noi's are still very common. It means second wife, or really mistress, since it cannot be a legal arrangement.

Big trouble if Mia ti nung, first wife, finds out!! The you end up sleeping Nok Bahn,

outside.

:o:D

Dkstoney, you called half-farangs "look-krungs" literally "Half Children". I have never heard this term. I usually hear "Farang Noi" Lit. "Small Westerner", but really means 'a bit western'.

Well, it's a litlle late but it brings up an interesting point. I had brought my child to the school I where I teach. The first time I brought her the other ajarns started to talk to her in English, but her mother tongue is Thai. As a matter of fact, she doesn't speak English.

When they discovered this and she could understand Thai and speak without an accent they were surprised, confused, and a little shocked. I talked to a couple of them later and they basically informed me that because my daughter is only half-Thai they believe that she shouldn't be able to speak Thai!! I'm not making this up.

I wouldn't expect that the term "Look Krung" doesn't mean half-child as the Thais do suffer on the most part from a subtle superiority complex. The fact that she is only half-Thai makes her only half-human.