Serious Discussion About Import Bikes Without Green Book

dagling

Dagling, there is an old Chinese proverb "If you have never done anything evil, you should not be worrying about devils to knock at your door."

Taken broadly I think you done evil....not got the green book on your bike....and the devil for you is the revenue department.

I don't understand your point of view. Just from the public liability angle, if any accident happens and your involved, your screwed!

Here's a bike with Invoice papers, import papers, Thailand Import Tax Paid and originally advertised for 280.000 baht but no chance of getting a real green book. 5 months ago I offered him 150.000....needless to say he knocked it back. Now, still unsold, it's advertised price is 230.000! I'd still give him 150.000 for it. Wonder how long it will be before he realizes he is screwed and accepts my offer???

post-63954-0-53256800-1351008856_thumb.j

• Like 1

I'm going to let Red Barron know about this, they could save millions every year doing the above.... wink.png

Prove me wrong then Karlos, or a you calling me a lier? ;-)))

oh <deleted> wind your necks in

this whole thing is not as simple as it sounds

here are all the aspects of this discussion

import tax/duty..............

on a whole bike - or parts assembled to make a whole bike

and

having a legal green book or a book from another bike made to look like a legit green book for one of the above - generally you must have import tax/duty papers to have either type of green book

and

not having any tax/duty papers

and not having any green book

depending on what you have from the above will depend on were you stand with either the police - customs and excise - or the tax revenue dept

Ideal - you will have a legit green book (not copy) which you got using the import tax papers, this may not be possible now with the new legislation on secondhand parts import, even if you import a full vehicle it may not pass Thai emmission standards

riding around on a bike without green book and showing imports papers for a pile of parts with a seat on top is risky - get the wrong guy on the wrong day and say bye bye to your ride

It's quite simple . . . no green book = the guarantee that somewhere down the line (it could be days or years, who knows) you will lose the bike plus insurance will not pay out if you have an accident, so you'll be paying out for your own bike/treatment + the other peoples property/treatment.

yes, once you have the book there is no way to trace how it was issued, can't say the same for a book that was transferred from another vehicle as technically it is not authentic and close scutiny will reveal it doesn't belong to that bike - probably depends on how close it is to the make and model, engines can be replaced so engine numbers can be changed but engine and frame number - well that's dodgy right there.

Dagling your other option, which would work out cheaper is to export it to Malaysia. there you can get it registered for a little money then ride it into Thailand. When you bring the bike in you are given a temporary import license. The only drawback is you have to visa run the bike every 6 months but my friend that does it this way looks at it as getting to ride his bike like it should be ridden twice a year thumbsup.gif

Sorry Teelak but have to take motosai to Malaysia for 3 days whistling.gif

yes, once you have the book there is no way to trace how it was issued, can't say the same for a book that was transferred from another vehicle as technically it is not authentic and close scutiny will reveal it doesn't belong to that bike - probably depends on how close it is to the make and model, engines can be replaced so engine numbers can be changed but engine and frame number - well that's dodgy right there.

But who said the book was issued by the DLT 6 years ago, and why shouldn't they be able to trace if it is a legall issued book or a modified book ?

From the next post of Poanoi where he admits that the engine size was misquoted and had been corrected manually, smells like a modified book to me, unless he his sure that the correction was done by the DLT. With sure I mean that he was present at the DLT when the correction was made.

Thanks, i'd hate to have yet another thing to upset me smile.png a disturbance is they wrote wrong cc first so it was manually corrected later on

I had once the wrong engine 'combustion' size in a greenbook and very amateurishly corrected by the DLT officer, and while I had imagined and feared that I would have to explain this at every police stop – in the 3 years I had the bike nobody ever asked a question about it.