House Wanted Kampaeng Phet / Lansak

I will be in Kampaeng phet next month looking for house for the inlaws. Only need small house and small land. Hoping to keep it under 500,000bht. 400,000 even better.

Dont invest more than you can walk away from, right?

My advice would be start by contacting the banks to see what they have for sale, they all have websites with property/land for sale, for example ThaiFarmerBankk Property Sales, so you can start your search from home.

If you can't find anything over the internet just go into the main branches in Kampangphet and ask what they have. After that, take a look at what the Court office has, ask at the court where their office for clearing land is (or at any of the local lawyer offices).

You should exhaust both of these options before you start looking for land that 'a friend of a friend is selling'.

Why? Well apart from the obvious sign on your forehead that says 'I've got money to spend on a house and I'm just waiting to be robbed'.

There is the other benefit, property from banks/the courts is 'assured title', you will not have someone coming along after you have paid out your hard earned money saying 'this is my house, look I have the real papers'.

Another advantage of buying from the Bank is they will accept offers under the asking price, figure on at least 20% under but expect to have to come up with the money very quickly if your offer is accepted.

------

Strategy

-------

If you want to limit your budget you have to first know what the family expectation is. If mamma has her heart set on a brand new detatched house in an upmarket moo baarn.. well you're stuffed.

Thais do not like buying second hand houses and will come up with all sorts of excuses not to do so.. ie... there are bad spirits here.

My advice would be limit the hunting possy to the absolute minimum. You and the Mrs, would be the best but if you can get away with it, you and a local agent from the bank would be better.

If you agree to buy, put the house in your wife's name and forget about it.

There will be expectations to decorate, furnish, new kitchen etc, so if you have a limited budget, don't go spend to the maximum on the house.

What ever you do, do not get caught up with 'That is not good enough for mamma' and then pressured into borrowing money for something better. Spend what you feel comfortable with and stick to the maximum.

I've seen doting Thai wives beeing extremely free with spending their Farang husband's money on a house for mamma.