Visa Run To Mae Sai

watgate

As a person who likes to plan ahead, and seeing as how I will be needing to do a border run near the end of January 2013, is their ever a day when the border is closed due to a Holiday or other reason which would preclude someone from utilizing another exit and then re-entry into Thailand and maybe having to wait until the following day since the border was closed on the day you arrived at the border and thus were compelled to stay overnight in order to exercise your second entry? I am planning on going to Mae Sai exactly on the 90th day and I don't want to get up there and find out I can't cross the border into Laos and then back into Thailand because the border is closed due to a Holiday or some other reason.

unless you want too do it at night it is open daylight hrs.not sure when it does close but i know it does close evening

In Mai Sai going into Miramar the border closes at 5:00 PM. It hasen't happened in a while but they have been known not to open the border. With the new regime I don't think we will see that happen any more.

unless you want too do it at night it is open daylight hrs.not sure when it does close but i know it does close evening

In Mai Sai going into Miramar the border closes at 5:00 PM. It hasen't happened in a while but they have been known not to open the border. With the new regime I don't think we will see that happen any more.

When was the last time?

MSPain

I am planning on going to Mae Sai exactly on the 90th day and I don't want to get up there and find out I can't cross the border into Laos and then back into Thailand because the border is closed due to a Holiday or some other reason.

Mae Sai shares a border with Tachileik, Myanmar, not Laos.

When was the last time?

MSPain

I really don't know I suspect it was at least three years if not four years ago.

As I said with the new regime I don't think it will ever happen again.

Well having established the geography, and that Mae Sai/Tachilek is actually in Myanmar........my advice is simple;

I would never advocate going to the border on the last day possible....why the panic???

I always go one or two day before the "get the hell out of this country" date

Why?

ok last day...you may be ill; you may even be in hospital; you catch the minibus and there is an accident, so road traffic jams all day or it maybe your minibus decided to drive off the ravine (yes not as proposterous as it sounds)

you may lose your passport, god forbid...but at least you have a day or 2 to go to your embassy.

It may be that time of the month for you...if you have the decorators in; you may not feel like travelling..

All I am saying give yourself some space, some time should you decide to go a day or 2 sooner, then if the unexpected happens you can still get back on time.

If you do go on the last day and something does happen, just be prepared for a fine of 500 bht a day for overstaying.

counting down to the last day seems somewhat desperate and risky to me

• Like 2