Drivers Lic On Non-O And Shortcuts

I have taken a look at the thread above and have a few questions...

Would like a drivers lic for id purposes

I posses a non-o based on marriage, I do not report — I do runners.

Can I obtain a letter from the apt office instead of an affadavit from my embassy or anything from chaeng wattana?

Is there any eay to get a 5yr lic first go?

Would b500 to the right person upon delivery of lic help?

Any advice

Even Thai's only get a 1 year "provisional" licence the first time so I would say no chance.

Why can you not get a proof of address from Immigration - should be easy in your case?

I am aware of Thai's paying via a driving school to get licences but a lot more than 500baht and not every school has that connection apparently (or is willing to do it). This is in Pattaya so cannot be specific about BKK.

My advice for what it is worth - unless you have never driven before - is simply to go through the process and get a licence. If you have a foreign licence then send off for an IDP from your home country and it may make it more painless and you may be lucky and avoid some parts of the "curriculum" smile.png

I was told as long as i had a visa apart from tourist then could get a 5 year. Mine expired and just used tourist visa and got a 1 year. You do not need anything from your embassy, just proof of adress from an immigration office. Traffic place initially said i needed doctors certificate but upon applying they didnt want them. Dont forget if your asking for a car and motorcycle license then youl need 2 sets of all documents including proof of adress stuff from immigration, so double the fees aswell plus photos for both immigration and licenses.

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Thaivisa Connect App

I was told as long as i had a visa apart from tourist then could get a 5 year. Mine expired and just used tourist visa and got a 1 year. You do not need anything from your embassy, just proof of adress from an immigration office. Traffic place initially said i needed doctors certificate but upon applying they didnt want them. Dont forget if your asking for a car and motorcycle license then youl need 2 sets of all documents including proof of adress stuff from immigration, so double the fees aswell plus photos for both immigration and licenses.

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Thaivisa Connect App

Photos, you managed to find an office where they don't make the photos for the licenses on the spot? Didn't know these still existed.

If you have a foreign licence then send off for an IDP from your home country and it may make it more painless and you may be lucky and avoid some parts of the "curriculum"
No IDP needed for that, provided your homelicense is in English or pictures and contains a photo.

I dont report and dont register so going to Immigration I will need to establish myself so on so forth. Im on a non imm o - multiple not extension.

I don't see why you need to establish yourself? As long as you can show proof of address (condo rental agreement etc or just take wife along) you just ask for the document to get a driving licence and they get it prepared (I cannot remember if you need photos?). I did this on a tourist waiver. Could not care less about what visa I had.

• Like 1

I dont report and dont register so going to Immigration I will need to establish myself so on so forth. Im on a non imm o - multiple not extension.

I don't see why you need to establish yourself? As long as you can show proof of address (condo rental agreement etc or just take wife along) you just ask for the document to get a driving licence and they get it prepared (I cannot remember if you need photos?). I did this on a tourist waiver. Could not care less about what visa I had.

This is good to know for next year. I recently gave 2700b to the UK embassy for the letter blink.png

Chaeng wattana? price?

Cheers

This is good to know for next year. I recently gave 2700b to the UK embassy for the letter blink.png

Chaeng wattana? price?

Cheers

Pattaya (or Jomtien) Immigration office charged 200baht for a proof of address letter for driving licence. Just remember it needs to be no older than I think 30 days when you apply for the licence. You only need one original for both car and motorbike.

Sorry no idea about other Immigration offices.

Good info here, I am now living in Pattaya and just got my retirement Visa. Next thing is my driving licences for both car and bike. Is there anything I should prepare myself for getting my licences. I have an international driving licence for car only. Does this pose a problem for a bike??

Good info here, I am now living in Pattaya and just got my retirement Visa. Next thing is my driving licences for both car and bike. Is there anything I should prepare myself for getting my licences. I have an international driving licence for car only. Does this pose a problem for a bike??

No, no problem, this just means you have to do the theory and practical test for the motorbike license.

No, no problem, this just means you have to do the theory and practical test for the motorbike license.

Quite correct in theory but you may be very lucky (as I was) and not do any of the theory or practical. Just depends on how things are on the day. Best of luck.