Fossil Shops In Bangkok...where?

TwoDogz

Anyone know where these shops are, they usually sell various rocks and minerals and such, sometimes have fossils.

I know of 2 in Fortune Town but would like to find some out of the way dingy type places. or even not so dingy.

Go to the jewellery centre of Bangkok, ie. Silom road and Charoenkrung road (near Holiday Inn). You can find many shops selling gemstones both cut and rough, as well as other mineral specimens. Also some shops with polished fossils for the jewellery business. There is one shop on Charoenkrung road that has dinosaur copralites (fossilised shit) as well as a sample of moon rock. To find this shop walk on the left side of CKR towards chinatown from the junction of Silom road. The shop is dingy with newspaper clippings of former glory tacked on the window panes.

Most businesses here work normal business hours i.e. not open evenings or sundays.

Thanks, heard about that shop.

Which is CKR road, is it the intersection where Thai Airways is on one corner and the same road where the bts does a lefty ?

If that is the road, you say on the left so is it between silom and suriwong I think is the other parallel road ?

CKR is my acronym for Charoen Krung Road (Develop City Road)

Start at the T- junction of Silom with CKR (near State Tower).

If you walk back along Silom road directly past the Holiday Inn you can enter the Galleria of the Jewellerey Trade Centre. Lots of shops with rough gems and other mineral specimens.

If you turn right at the T junction and go a along CKR towards Chinatown you will find the Dino-poop shop on the left, but also there is another interesting shop on the right (on a corner).

If you explore around the area you may find other interesting shops.

If you want a personal guide, pm me, as I am in the area every few days doing a bit of personal business.

Go to the jewellery centre of Bangkok, ie. Silom road and Charoenkrung road (near Holiday Inn). You can find many shops selling gemstones both cut and rough, as well as other mineral specimens. Also some shops with polished fossils for the jewellery business. There is one shop on Charoenkrung road that has dinosaur copralites (fossilised shit) as well as a sample of moon rock. To find this shop walk on the left side of CKR towards chinatown from the junction of Silom road. The shop is dingy with newspaper clippings of former glory tacked on the window panes.

Most businesses here work normal business hours i.e. not open evenings or sundays.

Im pretty sure NASA has a complete record of where all the moon rocks are...and nowhere is there mention of "one shop on Charoenkrung Road that has dinosaur copralites (fossilised shit) as well as a sample of moon rock."

Edited by metisdead
Off topic post removed from quoted posts.

Im pretty sure NASA has a complete record of where all the moon rocks are...and nowhere is there mention of "one shop on Charoenkrung Road that has dinosaur copralites (fossilised shit) as well as a sample of moon rock."

So you are pretty sure are you?

A quick search of Wiki

Of the 270 Apollo 11 Moon Rocks and Apollo 17 Goodwill Moon Rocks that were given to the nations of the world by the Nixon Administration approximately 180 are currently unaccounted for. Many of the moon rocks that are accounted for have been locked away in storage for decades. The location of the rocks has been tracked by researchers and hobbyists because of their rarity and the difficulty of obtaining more. Moon rocks have been subjects of theft and forgery as well.

CKR is my acronym for Charoen Krung Road (Develop City Road)

Start at the T- junction of Silom with CKR (near State Tower).

If you walk back along Silom road directly past the Holiday Inn you can enter the Galleria of the Jewellerey Trade Centre. Lots of shops with rough gems and other mineral specimens.

If you turn right at the T junction and go a along CKR towards Chinatown you will find the Dino-poop shop on the left, but also there is another interesting shop on the right (on a corner).

If you explore around the area you may find other interesting shops.

If you want a personal guide, pm me, as I am in the area every few days doing a bit of personal business.

Thanks for the info, shall take the kids for looksie...i bet dino doo will be high on their list of must gets for bragging rights at school.

Not to be particular...but anyone got a map of the area ?

We do not live in Bangkok and while the area is somewhat familiar, not 100% sure.

But just finding the Holiday Inn should be fine I guess and then go wandering about the area. Will have kids with me, so trying to cut down the amount of searching to a minimum and keep the walking for the exact area....can you get bts to the area or can walk from the bts station at silom?

We do not live in Bangkok and while the area is somewhat familiar, not 100% sure.

But just finding the Holiday Inn should be fine I guess and then go wandering about the area. Will have kids with me, so trying to cut down the amount of searching to a minimum and keep the walking for the exact area....can you get bts to the area or can walk from the bts station at silom?

http://maps.google.c..., Thailand&z=17

Go to BTS Saphan Taksin (the last stop before you cross the river), then along Charoen Krung towards Silom.

Edited by whybother
  • Like 1

Easiest way to get there is BTS to Saphan Thaksin bridge. Walk from there about 5 mins. The House of Gems has a basic map of where their shop is located. If you can find the intersection of Silom Road with Charoen Krung road on Google maps you should be able to find your way around easily.

Actually if you scroll down from their basic map they have included a google map.

Remember that most of these places are closed on Sundays and P/H s. Some even close on Saturdays.

• Like 1

http://maps.google.c..., Thailand&z=17

Go to BTS Saphan Taksin (the last stop before you cross the river), then along Charoen Krung towards Silom.

Thanks, know where it is now. Hope to be down there in a week or 2.