Forum upgrade in progress! ×

M1 - M6 National Curriculum For History And Geography.

cbrer

Hi, this is purely out of interest and I would appreciate if any Mathayom teachers can list the basic topics Thai students have to study in these two subjects.

I recently spoke to two different locals seperately who are educated past M6 level and they had never heard of the Khmer Rouge, Pol Pot or the Cambodian genocide, and couldn't name more than two countries that border Thailand, and not more than five countries in Asia (in English or Thai).

I'm interested in learning what exactly Thais learn in Mathayom as set by the national curriculum in terms of Global and Regional Geography and History.

If someone can list or link to it I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

I have a copy of the MOE Strands, Standards & Indicators, but they're quite vague. For instance, here is the Strand for G12 Social Studies (which includes History & Geography):

Grade 12 graduates

• Have wider and more profound knowledge about world affairs
  • Are endowed with qualities of good citizens, morality and ethics; observe principles of their religions as well as are endowed with desirable values; are able to live happily with others and in society; have potential to continue their education at higher levels as intended
  • Have knowledge about wisdom, pride in Thai-ness, history of the Thai nation; adhere to the way of life and democratic form of government under constitutional monarchy
  • Have good consumption habits; appropriately choose and decide on consumption; are aware of and participate in preservation of Thai traditions, culture and the environment, and love their local areas and the country; are dedicated to providing services and creating things of value for social benefit
  • Have knowledge and capability of managing their own learning; are able to guide themselves and seek knowledge from various learning sources in society throughout their lives

Here's what they should know about history by the end of M6:

1. Analyse the importance of ancient civilisations and communication between the Eastern and Western worlds affecting development and change in the world.

2. Analyse various important events affecting social, economic and political changes leading to the present world.

3. Analyse the effects of expansion of influence of European countries to the continents of America, Africa and Asia.

4. Analyse the world situation of the 21st century.

1. Analyse important issues of Thai history.

2. Analyse the importance of the monarchy to the Thai nation.

3. Analyse factors conducive to creation of Thai wisdom and Thai culture that affect the present Thai society.

4. Analyse achievements of important persons, both Thai and foreign, who have contributed to creating Thai culture and Thai history.

5. Plan, set guidelines and participate in preservation of Thai wisdom and Thai culture.

Here's what they should know about Geography:

1. Analyse the situations and crises relating to natural resources and the environment of Thailand and elsewhere in the world.

2. Specify preventive and problem-solving measures, roles of organisations and coordinating internal and external cooperation relating to laws on environment and management of natural resources and environment.

3. Specify the guidelines for conservation of natural resources and environment in various regions of the world.

4. Explain utilisation of the environment for cultural creativity representing local identities both in Thailand and around the world.

5. Participate in problem-solving and leading lives along the line of conservation of resources and environment for sustainable development

Edited by Scott
formatting/font
  • Like 1

In truth neither subject is taught in any depth.,History is very biased if and when it is actually taught, there will be no mention of events spanning the 1940-1945 era .as Thailand wasn't invaded but had a bunch of non paying guests

Geography , sadly many Thais are under the impression that Thailand is the centre of the universe, again if the subject is taught it focuses on where notable Thais lived and their subsequent contributions to a foreign country and of course to Thailand.

Both subjects are on a par content wise with a dentistry course in how to care for hens teeth.whistling.gif

Pick up the relevant M4-M6 Thai textbooks and get the relevant topics translated. The Thai teachers probably will have such books. As you can see above, the curriculum is way too vague to be able to decipher what you are supposed to teach.

Thanks for the replies.

Pick up the relevant M4-M6 Thai textbooks and get the relevant topics translated. The Thai teachers probably will have such books. As you can see above, the curriculum is way too vague to be able to decipher what you are supposed to teach.

I'm not teaching it. I'm interested in what Thais learn in these subjects as ones I talk to in everyday life have very little, to no, knowledge on the topics.

The Thai education is very questionable. Would any Thai teacher, doesn't matter what subject he/she's teaching know something about the cold war?

I'v asked a few teachers if there'd be beaches on Sril Lanka.......took a long time to get the answer no.

When I mentioned that it's an island, they still didn't get it.

Forget about history and geography about other countries, seems that Thais don't need to have such a knowledge,

Education here is mostly based on boring and made up topics, how wonderful their culture and religion is, nothing to do with the real world we're living in.

Many of them don't even realize that foreigners also speak German, Russian, Dutch, Spanish etc...it's all called "Passa Tang Pratheet."

Which usually means English...........w00t.gif

Edited by sirchai