All Nightclubs To Now Shut By 2 Am In Chaweng

Did you accidentally put two maps the same . . . ? Is there another section showing Chaweng Beach Road? Where is Area No. 1?

Fixed.

I don't know where area 1 is. I think the total paramter is area 1 , then the inner 2 special zone?

Aha! Now I remember that this was the only area designated for Chaweng - hence the original (and ongoing) protests. The beach Road/Soi green Mango was never deemed to be an entertainment area.

This was Area 2 of Samui's entertainment zones. Area 1 was in Nathon and Area 3 in Lamai.

The same thing happened in Lamai. If you look at the permissions, it applied to only the area as you go out of Lamai on the ring-road, up the big hill - where about 6 or 7 years ago they'd built a huge bar complex up the hillside - now defunct, as not a soul ever went there. The entire main area of Lamai was (presumably still is) not included and (officially) had to close at 1:00 am.

But the biggest outrage came with Nathon. Back in the early 2000s all there was in Nathon was 3 sing-a-song- karaoke bars - owned by Thai businessmen, one of them being a top police chief - and with no farangs at all at night. Yet the town got the go-ahead for late-night opening, whereas Chaweng Beach Road and the Soi Green Mango/Soi Reggae didn't.

Not that I'm suggesting insider trading or that the big-wigs who owned the bars in question had family in the planning offices - perish the thought!

But it gives you an idea of why some bar-owners might have cause to be annoyed . . . quite aside from the present and currents protests.

R

.."not suggesting" but spot on, the hill in Lamai (with the huge barcomplex) belongs to the present-day mayor of Samui, he himself told me about the project long time before he got elected (in 2000-2001)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In a nutshell, this is what it says:

Due to the new policies enforcing entertainment businesses around the entire Chaweng beach area to close before 2.00, there has been a meeting attended by all the entertainment businesses such as SOLO CLUB, GREEN MANGO, SOUND CLUB, SWET SOUL and all the "bar beer". We strongly disagree with the new policies because it will affect tourists both foreign and Thai, who are on holiday here in Samui in large numbers.

We have therefore come to an agreement to temporarily close our businesses starting from 30 October 2012 onwards.

This is in order to show the government agencies how important the entertainment businesses are for the economy of Samui. The government should show us more support in order to attract more foreign and Thai tourists to Samui.

We would like to ask the public's opinion about this new closing policy.

Maybe you can edit it in the first post instead of that bing translation??

October ???

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

hello.any news?usually when i go to Chaweng i dance at the green mango club and wait for the sun light before sleeping.3 times a year..not much..if i cant do that i will go to koh tao or stay at home

Business as nornal yesterday, Friday. Green Mango open from 11pm till 3am and Sound Club till 5amtongue.png

Local election at December 23rd, expect the party life to be closed 22nd and 23rdsad.png

Did you accidentally put two maps the same . . . ? Is there another section showing Chaweng Beach Road? Where is Area No. 1?

Fixed.

I don't know where area 1 is. I think the total paramter is area 1 , then the inner 2 special zone?

Aha! Now I remember that this was the only area designated for Chaweng - hence the original (and ongoing) protests. The beach Road/Soi green Mango was never deemed to be an entertainment area.

This was Area 2 of Samui's entertainment zones. Area 1 was in Nathon and Area 3 in Lamai.

The same thing happened in Lamai. If you look at the permissions, it applied to only the area as you go out of Lamai on the ring-road, up the big hill - where about 6 or 7 years ago they'd built a huge bar complex up the hillside - now defunct, as not a soul ever went there. The entire main area of Lamai was (presumably still is) not included and (officially) had to close at 1:00 am.

But the biggest outrage came with Nathon. Back in the early 2000s all there was in Nathon was 3 sing-a-song- karaoke bars - owned by Thai businessmen, one of them being a top police chief - and with no farangs at all at night. Yet the town got the go-ahead for late-night opening, whereas Chaweng Beach Road and the Soi Green Mango/Soi Reggae didn't.

Not that I'm suggesting insider trading or that the big-wigs who owned the bars in question had family in the planning offices - perish the thought!

But it gives you an idea of why some bar-owners might have cause to be annoyed . . . quite aside from the present and currents protests.

R

.."not suggesting" but spot on, the hill in Lamai (with the huge barcomplex) belongs to the present-day mayor of Samui, he himself told me about the project long time before he got elected (in 2000-2001)

Well there's an odd coincidence. As I recall it was called 'Angkor' - and he must have ended up with gigantic egg on face because it was an instant flop from the word go!

R

situation is back to normal, sound is closing around 6AM.

the incorruptable cops who were ruinning the island night life have been removed because of the tragic accident that killed an australian woman, guess what, the very same incorruptable cops when it comes to night life were the same asking for the bribe.

koh phangan police now replaces the fired cops so let the party rock :D