Buy To Let - Thailand - Uk

Thoughts,

I have a few small rental properties in the uk, they have a 6-7% rental yield,

On figures that landlords get in thailand taking into account, it seams some properties are hard to resell if needed and the complications with ownership ect

What are thoughts on keeping investments in the Uk or home country rather than thailand??

Any experience on good returns would be interesting ?

I've kept my UK rental properties, as they have good yield and excellent capital growth. Haven't bought in Thailand because it's pretty difficult to make money. Property seems overpriced, there are 1000s of empty condos, it's difficult to buy/sell at a good price. It's much easier in the UK at the moment. You can make money here, but it's a lot harder than in the UK. Maybe because I know the market there much better.

I've kept my UK rental properties, as they have good yield and excellent capital growth. Haven't bought in Thailand because it's pretty difficult to make money. Property seems overpriced, there are 1000s of empty condos, it's difficult to buy/sell at a good price. It's much easier in the UK at the moment. You can make money here, but it's a lot harder than in the UK. Maybe because I know the market there much better.

Thanks for your reply, I am tending to agree with you, I base my thoughts on facts only, never had the inclination to invest in thailannd as unsure of the market. Anyone out there doing well with rental properties in Thailand ??

If you want to spend a lot of time in Thailand but at the same time hold property for investment in the UK (or elsewhere) that is not unreasonable, but I would argue that the further away the property is from Thailand the more it should fit the criteria of being 'maintenance-lite'. ie if the property is long-haul travel I do not want to have to deal with 'problems'. Making a 2.5 hour trip to Hong Kong is a lot different to making a 12 hour trip to the UK. Cheap UK property in secondary locations is also more difficult to sell. So rather than having a string of down-market properties in the UK I would prefer to stick the pot into one or two upmarket purpose-built apartments in primary locations. A lesser return re income? Yes, maybe, but it better enables the primary objective which is to support living in SE Asia and not be a problematic distraction.

If you want to spend a lot of time in Thailand but at the same time hold property for investment in the UK (or elsewhere) that is not unreasonable, but I would argue that the further away the property is from Thailand the more it should fit the criteria of being 'maintenance-lite'. ie if the property is long-haul travel I do not want to have to deal with 'problems'. Making a 2.5 hour trip to Hong Kong is a lot different to making a 12 hour trip to the UK. Cheap UK property in secondary locations is also more difficult to sell. So rather than having a string of down-market properties in the UK I would prefer to stick the pot into one or two upmarket purpose-built apartments in primary locations. A lesser return re income? Yes, maybe, but it better enables the primary objective which is to support living in SE Asia and not be a problematic distraction.

Great point there thanks, guess that is a good option to consider, SE Asia is where I wish to be in a few years time, but to manage property without large agent fee's could be a pain.

If I managed a property portfolio from Thailand that was in the Uk I am guessing a benefit would be I could use my journeys home for family visits as business trips and cover expenses and save taxes on potential earnings from properties thumbsup.gif

Great point there thanks, guess that is a good option to consider, SE Asia is where I wish to be in a few years time, but to manage property without large agent fee's could be a pain.

If I managed a property portfolio from Thailand that was in the Uk I am guessing a benefit would be I could use my journeys home for family visits as business trips and cover expenses and save taxes on potential earnings from properties thumbsup.gif

I am not sure it is worth bypassing the use of an agent.

I am also not convinced that you can claim expenses travelling to the UK since the UK is still your domicile.

As for a 'portfolio' I guess it depends on the size of one's war chest and area preferences.