Bangkok Ranked 7Th In Global Shopper Index

webfact

SHOPPING

Bangkok ranked 7th in global shopper index

The Nation

30193206-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok came seventh in the Globe Shopper Index, published by Global Blue today, a few points behind Sydney and ahead of Tokyo. Hong Kong topped the Index as the most attractive city for international travel shoppers in Asia-Pacific.

The rankings are based on five categories covering shops, affordability, convenience, hotels & transport and culture & climate. Global Blue developed the Globe Shopper Index in partnership with the Economist Intelligence Unit as an essential planning tool for all international travel shoppers searching for their next shopping destination in Europe and Asia-Pacific.

Global Blue’s expanded Globe Shopper Index adds 25 Asia-Pacific cities to the existing 33 European cities and ranks them on the experience they provide to international travel shoppers.

"I want to congratulate all the Asia-Pacific globe shopper cities for their success in attracting globe shoppers. Expansion of the Globe Shopper Index to include cities in Asia-Pacific demonstrates Global Blue's dedication to ensuring the best possible experience for travel shoppers. Thanks to Global Blue's Tax Free Shopping globe shoppers from Asia have long been enjoying excellent value shopping overseas, now they can use the Globe Shopper Index to discover their ideal shopping city based on their personal priorities and share it with their friends on line," said Global Blue President & CEO, Per Setterberg, commented on the index and website.

Bangkok's good performance was driven by its score in the Affordability category, where it came first for the low price of two- and four-star hotels. In this category Bangkok also scored well for its reasonably priced restaurants and bars. The city's ranking was boosted by the wide availability international brands in its stores and long sales seasons.

However, Bangkok was pushed down the rankings due to its poor performance in the Hotels & Transport category. In this category, the quality of the city's transport and the coverage of its transport network in the city centre were relatively poor compared to other Index cities.

Rank/City/Score

1 Hong Kong 68.5

2 Kuala Lumpur 65.0

3 Shanghai 63.0

4 Beijing 60.6

5 Singapore 60.1

6 Sydney 58.5

7 Bangkok 57.0

8 Tokyo 56.4

9 Seoul 54.7

10 Delhi 52.8

Source: www.globeshopperindex.com

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-29

if they were ranked for value for money they would be in the 4th division, ever tried getting your money back from a thai store ??............aint gonna happen. you can buy a complet kids school uniforn in asda/tescos now of reasonable quality for around £18 including shoes,........try doing that here .

• Like 1

These surveys/polls are a joke, as pointed out in a previous post Bangkok ranked 5th in world for best taxi service, in this poll it was 'knocked down' on transportation?

Obviously Customer Service was not taken into account, neither was the 'Sitting behind counter picking nose', 'I am brushing my hair and putting on my make-up' and the 'I am on the phone to my friend you can wait' categories.

The city's ranking was boosted by the wide availability international brands in its stores and long sales seasons.

I will concede that there are 'branded' shops like Timberland, Lacoste, Clarks however unless you have a 32" chest and 30" waist and feet below a size 10 you are out of luck!

If you are fortunate enough to be of Asian build you will be paying up to at least 50% more than in the West.

The reason for the long 'sale season' is predominately because the goods are initially over priced and are of sub standard quality, and cant be sold.

• Like 2

These surveys/polls are a joke, as pointed out in a previous post Bangkok ranked 5th in world for best taxi service, in this poll it was 'knocked down' on transportation?

Obviously Customer Service was not taken into account, neither was the 'Sitting behind counter picking nose', 'I am brushing my hair and putting on my make-up' and the 'I am on the phone to my friend you can wait' categories.

The city's ranking was boosted by the wide availability international brands in its stores and long sales seasons.

I will concede that there are 'branded' shops like Timberland, Lacoste, Clarks however unless you have a 32" chest and 30" waist and feet below a size 10 you are out of luck!

If you are fortunate enough to be of Asian build you will be paying up to at least 50% more than in the West.

The reason for the long 'sale season' is predominately because the goods are initially over priced and are of sub standard quality, and cant be sold.

There is always a sale for some reason on in Thailand, sales mean nothing, no queues at the door when you open is there? Wait the price will come down. Edited by exeter

Weird, cause most people I know that aren't Thai think the shopping here is boring. Mall on every corner, same stores, ridiculously overpriced, same selection everywhere you go.

Funny it ranked low in transportation, didn't it just get ranked 5th best taxis in the world?

I think so but the guest we had were all crazy to use the opportunity to shop....well the women.

I think Bangkok is very expensive for shopping My Thai wife thinks the same she loves shopping in UK the only thing more readily available in BKK is counterfeit designer goods that only last until you pull a zip closed then it’s in the bin after that, I did notice in Tesco UK today they are doing a DVD player for £16 electrical good are same as cars in Thailand so so overpriced. And as someone said earlier trying to return good to a shop in Thailand for a refund is just such a no no and a waste of time even trying.

I always found Bangkok a great deal for shopping, 1st time in my life my jeans were fitted to me and they were only $15. I have some great swimming shorts that have lasted me 5 years i paid $5 for that would be $40 here, lots of things are great prices there, but not everything.

If you like beautiful household furnishings like lamp covers, or handmade jewlery and all that kind of stuff, at the chiang mai market the prices are around 1/20th of what you pay here, all the little hippy stores in BC are stocked to the roof with items from Thailand they put the prices at least 10x or maybe 20x that of their cost in thailand.

I guess it depends what you are shopping for.. i know some things are much more, but that is supply and demand i guess, walmart orders millions of one item, forces manufactures to lower prices (if they want the order), so it is hard to compete with that for many items you will find teh cheapest in the world in the USA, but try to get your car fixed, or a hair cut, or your teeth cleaned.

The last 3 times I have visited Siam Paragon, there has been large queues outside of the Louis Vuitton store. I have never been able to figure out why, as they only sell the highly priced original bags.

Absolute rubbish...except the customer service stuff...but even that varies in Australia (as an example).

As to pricing and quality, quality is similar to that from Australia and prices for 'label' stuff is cheaper here than Australia as well. Everything label wise in department stores is around half the price in Aus. So either Australia is vastly more expensive than the rest of the world, or Thailand isn't that expensive. (some exceptions).

Then you have small 'designer/boutique' labels, people branching out on their own, designing their own clothes etc and these are 30-50% the cost of similar things in Aus (and there is always variable quality everywhere).

How is it 50% more than the west. I see the complete opposite.........and I would be counted as a frequent shopper (both now and when I was living in Aus).

I think Bangkok is very expensive for shopping My Thai wife thinks the same she loves shopping in UK the only thing more readily available in BKK is counterfeit designer goods that only last until you pull a zip closed then it’s in the bin after that, I did notice in Tesco UK today they are doing a DVD player for £16 electrical good are same as cars in Thailand so so overpriced. And as someone said earlier trying to return good to a shop in Thailand for a refund is just such a no no and a waste of time even trying.

bought a set of windscreen wipers for the car in Big c CM found the same ones elsewere cheaper went back and said i bought the wrong size and without asking they refunded the whole amount.Land of smiles I do.

Weird, cause most people I know that aren't Thai think the shopping here is boring. Mall on every corner, same stores, ridiculously overpriced, same selection everywhere you go.

Funny it ranked low in transportation, didn't it just get ranked 5th best taxis in the world?

I think it depends on who is doing the wanking.

Absolute rubbish...except the customer service stuff...but even that varies in Australia (as an example).

As to pricing and quality, quality is similar to that from Australia and prices for 'label' stuff is cheaper here than Australia as well. Everything label wise in department stores is around half the price in Aus. So either Australia is vastly more expensive than the rest of the world, or Thailand isn't that expensive. (some exceptions).

Then you have small 'designer/boutique' labels, people branching out on their own, designing their own clothes etc and these are 30-50% the cost of similar things in Aus (and there is always variable quality everywhere).

How is it 50% more than the west. I see the complete opposite.........and I would be counted as a frequent shopper (both now and when I was living in Aus).

Maybe the reason things are more expensive in Thailand is because of the 100%+ import duty?

I guess you are right, Australia has poor quality items! try looking at Levi, Lee, Wrangler jeans, have a look at a Hermes bag in Paragon 350,000 Bt then perhaps you will change your mind? I am talking about genuine items not cheap charlie market crap!

My Thai wife who works in the clothing industry will not buy in Thailand she waits until we are in either the UK or better still USA where she say's not only the quality is better but is also cheaper than Thailand.

Australia isn't the West per se and is much more expensive for brand name clothing than the US or UK.

However it is cheaper than Thailand for home electronics in particular hi-fi.

There's also no GST on imported items worth under $1000 so plenty of bargains to be found online, not so in Thailand, with very high import duties on luxury items.

I have just purchased a laptop from Panthip, checked the same model online in Australia and it was slightly cheaper for a better spec, and came with original Windows 7 which the Thai one did not.