Accepting The Farang Status, And The Implications

ayayay

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only ever been called by my name once getting to know Thai people.

If they still call you a Farang once you get to know them, especially Thai family I would be looking for different relatives.

That is not the point, I mentioned that to illustrate an example.

BS. I don't often get annoyed by TV topics but this stuff gets up my nose. In the village we hear and know everything, that's the way it is. I am the Farang,

Yeah, as I wrote, I thought it was funny and did no harm, until I realized the big picture.

I've only ever been called by my name once getting to know Thai people.

If they still call you a Farang once you get to know them, especially Thai family I would be looking for different relatives.

That is not the point, I mentioned that to illustrate an example.

I think it is the point because they don't call me farang either, just my name.

If they keep calling you farang then there is no respect for you.

Edited by FritsSikkink

Well, this may be the first, and hopefully, last time, that I say: if you don't like it go home.

Well, this is the first time, and hopefully, the last time, that I say: You sir, are very ignorant

Judging by your reply above, I think you have bigger issues, than what Thais may/may not call you ! w00t.gif
  • Like 1

dam_n it.

They do it to everyone. Thais, Laos, Cambodians, Burmese, Chinese. Go live in a village sometime, you will see things differently.

And don't call me sir, I am the Farang that goes and sorts things out down on the road when things go wrong; ID card scam, drunken lady problem.. I am the Farang and not like the villagers that's for sure. I think I am the Swiss Farang or David Farang or Papa Farang, that's ok.

Ignorant is a big word to use, where do you live,

sir?

(sneer)

Edited by cooked
  • Like 1

The Thai people you know may learn to not call you f-rang to your face anyway, but the more interesting question is what are they THINKING ... coffee1.gif

I think the OP is basically right. We that are seen as f-rangs are targets of a thing called OTHERIZATION and it makes it much easier morally/ethically to treat such others in shabby ways and sometimes (not even rarely in my view), not even as real human beings with real human feelings.

Yes, you are correct.

What everyone is discussing is just the fact that no one is calling them farang to their face, however, they are missing the point.

You understand exactly what I mean

The Thai people you know may learn to not call you f-rang to your face anyway, but the more interesting question is what are they THINKING ... coffee1.gif

I think the OP is basically right. We that are seen as f-rangs are targets of a thing called OTHERIZATION and it makes it much easier morally/ethically to treat such others in shabby ways and sometimes (not even rarely in my view), not even as real human beings with real human feelings.

Yes, you are correct.

What everyone is discussing is just the fact that no one is calling them farang to their face, however, they are missing the point.

You understand exactly what I mean

Mayby things are different for people who speak Thai and don't behave like a complete stranger to Thai culture.

• Like 2

Seems many farangs are never called farangs as they have a certain hi-so status that is instantly recognised by the Thais. Perhaps it is their pale skinned Chinese Thais wives?

Speaking of the absurd my daughter tells me that one of the big topics the other 14 year olds talk about is which skin whitening cream is the best? And back to Chinese Thais, sometimes can be illuminating as to their opinions of their darker skinned brethren. Rascism just abounds and that is the way of things, I think Jingthing had an interesting take on it.

I think you just know the wrong people when they call you "farang" in your face... none of the people I know in Thailand would call me that once he knows me... everybody calls me by name and "farang" ist just for the joking side of life...

So you might have to rethink with who you hooked up...

The Swiss Farang?

Well, this may be the first, and hopefully, last time, that I say: if you don't like it go home.

Well, this is the first time, and hopefully, the last time, that I say: You sir, are very ignorant

+1

Are you so devoid of ideas or a train of thought that all you can do is fall back on the dreary old bitter expat lines that people on here trot out when they have nothing else to say?

I pity you!rolleyes.gif