Thai Bum Guns In Oz - Plumbing Compatability?

samran

Hi all,

will be travelling down to Australia shortly and a friend has put in an order for a couple of bum guns for him to install at home down in OZ.

I'm useless when it comes to all things practical, but I note that they are pretty readily available in Thailand.

What I worry about is the compatability with standard plumbing fittings in OZ. Now, I may be worrying about nothing, but if anyone has any recommendations on the type of bum gun which will be best suited to Australian plumbing standards, let me know.

Many thanks in advance.

Pipe thread is 1/2" BSP so fitting it should be no problem.

You will however need to check what is required in the Aussie plumbing regulations, in the UK it would need a double-check valve (a redundant non-return valve) to ensure no possibility of back-feed in to the rising main.

You will however need to check what is required in the Aussie plumbing regulations, in the UK it would need a double-check valve (a redundant non-return valve) to ensure no possibility of back-feed in to the rising main.

Cheers for that Crossy. Should I be looking to get one of these in Thailand as well?

My mate installed one in his toilet in brisbane queensland,said it was fine for a few weeks of summer,but when the temperature dropped the bum gun was too cold to use!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is something I've certainly told my mate about especially that it is Melbourne too! Can't be dissuaded.

If you look at this site you will get information re non return valves.

I would say that the first example is probably what your friend would need.

Hope this is of help.

http://australia.rs-online.com/web/c/?searchTerm=non+return+valves&cm_mmc=AU-PPC-0411-_-google-_-1_MRO_Generic-_-non%20return%20valves_Phrase

In thailand the night time temps don't drop as low as they do in oz,so the water temp here is still in the high 20s,can you imagine using it when the overnight temps drop down to the low single figures.

My mate in brissy said he only uses it now to clean the toilet and floor...

He bought the bum gun here and installed it himself,i think he got any other parts he needed from bunnings....but its pretty much a useless item in oz

He bought the bum gun here and installed it himself,i think he got any other parts he needed from bunnings....but its pretty much a useless item in oz

We used ours in Belgium all through the winter, I thought Aussies were tough MEN, it's just a bit of cold water, not even freezing, bunch of woosies smile.png

Yes, get all the bits to hook it up in your local DIY place.

• Like 1

We used ours in Belgium all through the winter, I thought Aussies were tough MEN, it's just a bit of cold water, not even freezing, bunch of woosies smile.png

I presume your water came from an above ground tank somewhere in the house. Thai water pipes are underground and uninsulated.

I presume your water came from an above ground tank somewhere in the house. Thai water pipes are underground and uninsulated.

Nah, no tank, straight off the rising main, water was at about 4C in December, certainly blew the sleep out of your ears :)

Nah, no tank, straight off the rising main, water was at about 4C in December, certainly blew the sleep out of your ears smile.png

haha!

Actually, a serious questino, researching it there might be some issues with the mains pressure busting the hoses?

haha!

Actually, a serious questino, researching it there might be some issues with the mains pressure busting the hoses?

Are you worries about ending on top of this?

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/absolutely-incredible-homes-threatened-as-water-pipe-erupts-over-suburb-20121029-28eps.htmlpost-64834-0-17047200-1351660783_thumb.j

I saw that, was in Glen Waverly from what I recall. Given that is a suburb with a fairly high Chinese migrant population, you could guess that a faulty bum gun caused that!

Well maybe not. ;)

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

"Actually, a serious questino, researching it there might be some issues with the mains pressure busting the hoses?"

The cheap hoses don't cope or last very long with higher pressures, I've had a couple burst before on only 3 bar of pressure (45 psi). Can make a pretty big mess in a very short time if you are not around to get the valve closed. Not sure what the average water main pressure is in Oz but the more expensive hoses work fine on 3bar so don't scrimp and choose a good quaity one. smile.png

Edited by TS79

I also would raise the issue of the OZ water pressure compared to that in Thailand - I fitted on in Sydney and it ended up pushing the hose tail out of the hose on 1 occassion, luckily we had a large floor drain and we were home at the time and heard it gushing out.

Buy a high quality bum gun - not a Bht 50 / 100 unit - look at the high-end units in Home-Pro Gobal House etc. but treat the hose as suspect - possibly get an Aust. hose or have one made up to suit.

• 6 years later...
On 10/31/2012 at 12:30 AM, Crossy said:

Good info.  I want one for my UK gaff.

The standard issue Lotus/Thai Watsadu/Global House bum guns work just fine. Our toilet in Oz is fed by a bore pump to save on rain water tanks supply and gives a decent pressure (50 psi). Gave the Thai wife a real surprise when she first used it!!  Cleaned her bum and removed haemorrhoids at the same time.

The only downside is that the bore water is quite hard i.e a lot of magnesium and calcium which tends to  build up and play havoc with the valve and eventually starts to leak. Soaking in vinegar for a few hours fixes that.

I've been back in Canada helping with family matters and have been here much longer than I expected. Those who have got used to using a bum gun for years like I did, probably find going back to the regular western method of cleaning oneself after doing their business is not satisfactory, but I wasn't in a position to install one, so I found a workable alternative -- a squeeze bottle. These things are not all created equally, and ones that are quite soft (easily squeezable) work the best. I've settle on these ones sold at the Dollarama stores for $1. They have been my bum gun replacement and salvation until I can return to a more civilized part of the world. Image result for dollarama plastic squeeze bottles

I have them in my US Homes also, got them from Amazon

I looked in Amazon Australia and it seems they are available there also , Use the search term " Diaper sprayer" or "Bidet spray" they look identical to the ones I have in the US  

https://www.amazon.com.au/s?k=diper+sprayer&ref=nb_sb_noss

image.png.0d25bd12bddeb25f4eb4aab7d47d9105.png

Edited by sirineou