New Online Used Book Store Service

TheVicar

I was having a look at Chiang Mai Citylife online's classified and came across a notice for "Used books online bookshop". Here is the info they provide:

" If sometimes you feel like getting robbed when you buy a book, now here it is the online bookshop which offers you the best price."

I completely agree with those sentiments (many may remember I began a much discussed thread here about used books in Chiang Mai being overpriced. So, I think this is a good idea.

The problem is when I attempted to use the web site. Its URL: http://www.bookshelf.in.th/

The first time I attempted to enter the web site, I got a message from Microsoft saying the script didn't load properly and did I want to continue. I did and at that point my entire computer froze.

The second time I attemtped to enter, I got in without the script problem but the web site seems very unprofessional and many sections, including the all important book selection section, doesn't seem to give all the info: only a few titles given.

I'm wondering if other people are having the same problem? Your feedback would be appreciated.

It appears that the owner of the web site is a Thai living in Bangkok. They promise to send the books through the Thai postal service. You make a payment to a Bangkok bank account.

Check it out and see what you think. I'd especially be interested in anyone who's actually used their services.

Online bookshops completely defeat the object of most book readers, i.e. walking around and browsing.

Thanks for the heads up re the frozen link, sounds like it's best avoided completely, unless a person wants to pay a hefty repair bill and lose data.

I understand your point about the relaxing quality of being able to browse in a bookstore. I enjoy that too. But sometimes one needs or wants a specific book and this online store might be the solution. I didn't get a virus from the link; my computer just froze temporarily and worked after I hit "control, shift, delete" simultaneously. It didn't happen the second time I tried it. I think someone just set this web site up and it is not terribly professional. But the idea I applaud.

Online bookshops completely defeat the object of most book readers, i.e. walking around and browsing.

Thanks for the heads up re the frozen link, sounds like it's best avoided completely, unless a person wants to pay a hefty repair bill and lose data.

I understand your point about the relaxing quality of being able to browse in a bookstore. I enjoy that too. But sometimes one needs or wants a specific book and this online store might be the solution. I didn't get a virus from the link; my computer just froze temporarily and worked after I hit "control, shift, delete" simultaneously. It didn't happen the second time I tried it. I think someone just set this web site up and it is not terribly professional. But the idea I applaud.

Well, I guess those who want to take a chance can. As I'm not really interested in on-line books and I don't really want my computer to freeze, for any reason........I'll give it a pass. wai.gif

Online books I don't mind but I will skip freezing the computer. Been there done that and didn't like it.

I also tried the site. A script is causing problems (dixit FireFox). Tried to close the tab and got "Non responding."

Finally managed to get out of it without data loss.

I advise to to load this site on a new instance of your browser. Or do it sand-boxed.

With all the used book book stores in Chiang Mai I fail to see the need or the point in a online used book store. The very nature of a used book can mean it is in good condition or falling apart. Passably if you live outside greater Chiang Mai it would be a option but living that far out might be hard to get computer connection.

Also as uptheos says there is a lot of fun in browsing.