Strongvpn U S May Be Down For A While.

Tywais

For those that use the US StrongVPN, portions may be down soon. E-mail sent to me today.

This email notice contains important information regarding your StrongVPN account in New York. Please be advised that StrongVPN's New York Financial District data center is experiencing major flooding due to Hurricane Sandy. For their safety, all onsite staff have now been evacuated from the building. It is anticipated the facility will go offline completely around 7:00 AM UTC (3:00 am EDT) when the diesel generators run out of fuel. Once the diesel fuel supply runs out, all vpn-in* servers in New York will be offline until it is safe for onsite staff to return to the facility and power is restored. We anticipate a minimum of 24 hours of downtime at our New York facility. We will post updates as new information becomes available.

As well as getting access to sites blocked locally, many choose to use a VPN to protect their online privacy. If this is a concern to you, then you might wish to check out this article on which VPN providers keep logs on your traffic.

http://bit.ly/nob4XI

Strong VPN does not fare very well in this regard.

As to the point made about being able to switch servers "for free"... other providers also permit this. I'm with a Malaysian provider (Bolehvpn.net), no logs, servers in many countries, and reasonably priced. If, for some reason, I had to switch providers, I think I would go with "privateinternetaccess.com" the second one listed in the article.

Not plugging these companies... just saying that I'd check out a lot of other options before choosing Strong.

• Like 1