Container Truck Rear Ends Pickup On Main Highway Near Pattaya

webfact

Container truck rear ends Pickup on main highway near Pattaya

By Staff Reporter

h2.jpg

RAYONG: -- Container truck rear ends pickup on the main Bangkok to Rayong Highway near Pattaya

The driver of a water supply truck was injured when an 18 wheel tractor trailer unit rear ended him on the main highway from Bangkok to Rayong.

The smaller of the two vehicles came of worse and the driver required medical assistance.

Police and Medical services arrived to find traffic at a standstill on the busy road and the 24 year old , small truck driver, suffering from whiplash injuries resulting from the impact.

Ambulance serives were slow to arrive as the highway was quickly congested with traffic.

Full story: http://www.pattaya10...y-near-pattaya/

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2012-11-02

footer_n.gif

Looking at the photo, it appears the accident happened on the "Hard shoulder" of the road.

Maybe the container driver dropped off to sleep. Hope everybody recovers. You can always buy a new truck, but replacing a persioon is hard to do.

Best wishes to both drivers

Off topic to the crash, about the water tank on the pickup truck.

I am curious as to how much water the pickup truck driver would carry in his tank. I am guessing that the tank can hold between 300 to 500 gallons of water. At 8 lbs per gallon of water, that tank would weigh between 2,400 to 4,000 pounds! (1,091 to 1,818 kilos) if full.

That pickup looks like it would be rated for about a 1000 pound (1/2 ton) load. (455 kilo)

If I am correct, I would not like to be driving a vehicle in front of a pickup carrying that water load!

I used to drive a U.S. Army 2 1/2 ton truck to fill up a 500 gallon water tank trailer (we called it a water buffalo). There was a big difference in stopping ability when pulling that water buffalo. I almost ran off a road in a sharp turn and almost hit our parked 3/4 ton truck the first time I pulled a buffalo with 2 tons of water in it! I was almost standing on the brakes and all ten tires of the 2 1/2 ton truck and the tires of the water buffalo skidded 8 to 10 feet in the dirt before stopping two feet from the 3/4 ton truck!

That big Army truck is rated to carry a 5000 pound load (2,272 kilos) when driving cross country (off street) but has the ability to carry a 10000 pound load (4545 kilos) when driving on a street or highway, so the brakes are built to handle that kind of load.

Do any of you TV'ers in Thailand have any experience / knowledge of how much water a tank on a pick up truck of that size actually carries?

Looking at the photo, it appears the accident happened on the "Hard shoulder" of the road.

Maybe the container driver dropped off to sleep. Hope everybody recovers. You can always buy a new truck, but replacing a persioon is hard to do.

Best wishes to both drivers

According to the radio news report on the radio, it said the accident happened as the container truck was PASSING in the FAST LANE. In the picture, the nearside hedge can be seen. Unless these photos were taken after the vehicles had been moved, but they still look intertwined.

I am curious as to how much water the pickup truck driver would carry in his tank. I am guessing that the tank can hold between 300 to 500 gallons of water. At 8 lbs per gallon of water, that tank would weigh between 2,400 to 4,000 pounds! (1,091 to 1,818 kilos) if full.

That pickup looks like it would be rated for about a 1000 pound (1/2 ton) load. (455 kilo)

If I am correct, I would not like to be driving a vehicle in front of a pickup carrying that water load!

I used to drive a U.S. Army 2 1/2 ton truck to fill up a 500 gallon water tank trailer (we called it a water buffalo). There was a big difference in stopping ability when pulling that water buffalo. I almost ran off a road in a sharp turn and almost hit our parked 3/4 ton truck the first time I pulled a buffalo with 2 tons of water in it! I was almost standing on the brakes and all ten tires of the 2 1/2 ton truck and the tires of the water buffalo skidded 8 to 10 feet in the dirt before stopping two feet from the 3/4 ton truck!

That big Army truck is rated to carry a 5000 pound load (2,272 kilos) when driving cross country (off street) but has the ability to carry a 10000 pound load (4545 kilos) when driving on a street or highway, so the brakes are built to handle that kind of load.

Do any of you TV'ers in Thailand have any experience / knowledge of how much water a tank on a pick up truck of that size actually carries?

Don't have the figures but I'd say far too much water than is safe for the truck. Just look at how low down the rear end of most of these trucks are when laden. They must be a bi*ch to drive. I've also seen baht buses so full of passengers that the rear step scraps the road surface resulting in sparks.

Don't have the figures but I'd say far too much water than is safe for the truck. Just look at how low down the rear end of most of these trucks are when laden. They must be a bi*ch to drive. I've also seen baht buses so full of passengers that the rear step scraps the road surface resulting in sparks.

I second these observations. Thais simply put too much weight into their trucks. The suspension robustness relative to a US truck is not even close and I agree 1000lbs should be the limit when stock. I've noticed some HD spring and tire upgrades on certain utility trucks. But that should be no more than 2000lbs, and it doesn't even take into account a brake upgrade for completeness. Fake Brembos don't count either! blink.png

The crazy thing I see is not only are the trucks overloaded, but there is sometime a significant height to the cargo too. Suffice to say the trucks always appear on the verge of tipping over from the leverage produced when going around a bend. w00t.gif

I second these observations. Thais simply put too much weight into their trucks. The suspension robustness relative to a US truck is not even close and I agree 1000lbs should be the limit when stock. I've noticed some HD spring and tire upgrades on certain utility trucks. But that should be no more than 2000lbs, and it doesn't even take into account a brake upgrade for completeness. Fake Brembos don't count either! blink.png

The crazy thing I see is not only are the trucks overloaded, but there is sometime a significant height to the cargo too. Suffice to say the trucks always appear on the verge of tipping over from the leverage produced when going around a bend. w00t.gif

"Load capacity across the Isuzu D-Max range is 1000kg, while towing capacity (braked) with the 4×4 models is rated at 3000kg."

This is pretty much the standard across all the pick up models, that's why they are called 1 tonne pick ups. , but a tank that size certainly holds more than 1 tonne of water!