London To Phuket Direct

Boater

I believe Emirates from this month fly into Phuket, not direct from UK though, but still better then having to go to BKK, then cross BKK to another airport for your domestic flight, ah but the sting in the tale for me is quite long connection times in Dubai saai.gif .

guess this means a lot more football hooligans about to visit. can't wait to see more of my countrymen.

Might have been a valid comment 30 years ago, but no longer.

You refer to the first or to the second half of stevehaigh's post?

I believe Emirates from this month fly into Phuket, not direct from UK though, but still better then having to go to BKK, then cross BKK to another airport for your domestic flight, ah but the sting in the tale for me is quite long connection times in Dubai saai.gif .

Just being nosey, what's your home airport?

Thomson really like to cram in the seats too. I can imagine a truely horrible 12 hour flight squashed into their seat configuration. Probably paying crazy prices for drinks too.

I agree! The fare would need to be at least 5k THB cheaper than Qatar/Malaysian etc to make me choose them.

Hi

I used to work for the esteemed TUI ( sadly I cannot think of a good thing to say about them , but moving on)

IMHO Basically its a budget charter airline with lousy seat configuration charging for all extras , it would have to be very very cheap to be even consider especially with the middle eastern airlines offering much better value.

The dreamliner should comfortably have the range for London to Phuket. Spec on Boeng website quotes 9.400 miles. Distance from Phuket to London on Google Earth is about 6,200 miles.

Question is: Non stop or, like written, direct.

Many times, 'direct flights' are on routes, the airline has no rights for. And sometimes won't get them, in a direct ( so called 'non stop') flight!

Or can't/want fly direct (non stop)

So they fly 'via xyz', what makes it a direct flight, but with a stop somewhere.

So I think, like Thai Airways did it before, and to ensure, everything will go, till the runway is a bit longer, that all 747 to Phuket flying via Bangkok, back to Europe.

So they can't call it 'non stop' XX-Hkt-XX, b/c it's XX-HKT-BKK-XX.

Edited by noob7

Many times, 'direct flights' are on routes, the airline has no rights for. And sometimes won't get them, in a direct ( so called 'non stop') flight!

So they fly 'via xyz', what makes it a direct flight, but with a stop somewhere.

So I think, like Thai Airways did it before, and to ensure, everything will go, till the runway is a bit longer, that all 747 to Phuket flying via Bangkok, back to Europe.

I've flown into Phuket airport plenty times on a 747, BUT ... I have been reliably assured (by those in the know) that it all depends how much fuel (= weight) is onboard when attempting a landing. Plus even more important how much fuel onboard when taking off. That should be no problem flying from Europe to Phuket as most of fuel used up. BUT taking off on a direct flight might be a problem ... PLUS airlines consider the price to fill up at a particular airport. I have no idea whether Phuket is expensive for fuel compared with Bangkok ??.

I've flown into Phuket airport plenty times on a 747, BUT ... I have been reliably assured (by those in the know) that it all depends how much fuel (= weight) is onboard when attempting a landing. Plus even more important how much fuel onboard when taking off. That should be no problem flying from Europe to Phuket as most of fuel used up. BUT taking off on a direct flight might be a problem ... PLUS airlines consider the price to fill up at a particular airport. I have no idea whether Phuket is expensive for fuel compared with Bangkok ??.

AFAIK:In theory, the 747 should be able and allowed, to start full (people/jet fuel) from Phuket.

Some other Airlines (no 747) stopping somewhere in the middle of nowhere, to refill jet fuel much cheaper, but that's not expected for Thai Airways

As long it isn't a charter flight, there is still the chance, to sell extra first class, from BKK to Europe. Also ECO/Business places from HKT to BKK and from BKK to Europe will be an issue, I think. Thai isn't selling First from HKT to BKK. Must have a reason, too

Edited by noob7

The main aim is to fill it full of package tour holiday makers, so doubt there will be many seats available for flight only deals. The plane is persumably designed to take off with a full payload and fuel for such a journey so cant imagine why it would want to put down some where to take up more time, and add more miles.

The main aim is to fill it full of package tour holiday makers, so doubt there will be many seats available for flight only deals. The plane is persumably designed to take off with a full payload and fuel for such a journey so cant imagine why it would want to put down some where to take up more time, and add more miles.

How many package holiday tourist do you know, in the business/first class segment?

It's an additional first and business class flight, from Europe to BKK, Because of the Economy is almost full, extra money can be expected.

And the extra miles is more a problem of the Star Alliance, not so much a problem for Thai, I think!

Edited by noob7

How many package holiday tourist do you know, in the business/first class segment?

It's an additional first and business class flight, from Europe to BKK, Because of the Economy is almost full, extra money can be expected.

And the extra miles is more a problem of the Star Alliance, not so much a problem for Thai, I think!

oops: Not to confuse anybody (but me, maybe), I am/was still on the 747-'issue', started in post #16