Why So Many Europeans, Americans And Canadians Want To Live In Thailand?

Om85

"the only one reason why I live here is because my wife happens to be Thai" ? Your wife doesn't just "happen" to be Thai, you chose a Thai woman. I think you answer your own question as to reasons we stay here. At least one of the main ones.

I like the food too..

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell, I could live much more cheaply in many places in America than on Phuket.

I don't know why that isn't repeated more. For those who don't know small town US in the warmer climates in the cheaper states, but know only the big city, maybe they just don't get it. The US isn't nearly as expensive as other prominent Western countries, and small town US is a bargain too. If you live a high lifestyle in either country it will cost. But the US has many affordable places, and the retired have cheap health care insurance - something which could really become an issue in LOS. There are also safety nets for seniors 65 and older. But bluntly put, good safe clean food and consumer items are cheaper in the US. Housing isn't expensive in the less expensive states but the infrastructure is 100% first world.

It's the girls.

I don't know why that isn't repeated more. For those who don't know small town US in the warmer climates in the cheaper states, but know only the big city, maybe they just don't get it. The US isn't nearly as expensive as other prominent Western countries, and small town US is a bargain too. If you live a high lifestyle in either country it will cost. But the US has many affordable places, and the retired have cheap health care insurance - something which could really become an issue in LOS. There are also safety nets for seniors 65 and older. But bluntly put, good safe clean food and consumer items are cheaper in the US. Housing isn't expensive in the less expensive states but the infrastructure is 100% first world.

It's the girls.

Of course it is, but it's not just the girls, if my dick fell off tomorrow I still would never want to live back home no matter how "clean" the food or 100% the infrastructure.

It's bloody BORING, the so-called "culture" is totally STIFLING, all so either incredibly white-bread homogenous or flat-out dangerous.

And that's how I feel about big-city life where I feel comfortable, small-town living in the south or out west? forget it. . .

But that's just me YMMV

• Like 1

Why so many Europeans, Americans and Canadians want to live in Thailand?

I find this a particularly interesting question. I have been a quiet observer of this forum for at least 5 years and must tell all that I have found some excellent information at Thai Visa from time to time. But let’s stay on subject;

Obviously I speak only for myself.

I have studied Tibetan Buddhism (Mahayana) for over 40 years. Once I reached this side of our planet I tried without success to get a Visa to explore Tibet. As an alternative I began researching other countries that are primarily Buddhist cultures. Countries like Nepal, Bhutan & the research showed that Thailand is 95% Buddhist. In the late summer 2005 I chose to take a trip to Thailand to explore the Temples, engage the Monks in conversation and observe the people. I was delighted and awed by the Temples and found the Thai people to warm hearted, intelligent and familiar with westerners. (There is good and bad in that)

My trip inspired much more research and studies. Subsequent trips included meeting with attorneys, accountants and business owners. Within a year I could see that not could I enjoy life as a resident of Thailand I could enjoy retirement on a modest annual income. Of course there are a number of tax benefits afforded to Americans living abroad. The combination of affordability, great people, a lovely climate in Northern Thailand and the potential to explore temples and Buddhist history for decades to come made the choice easy.

During the course of my studies I met and married a lovely Thai woman, not from the bar & night world of the resort areas but rather a hardworking, very ethical lady with her roots in Theravada Buddhism and farming.

After 6 years I am even more convinced that living in Thailand is both a sound economic choice and a great place to live. We privileged to have the resources to go to the beach for bit every year or so. Thus we get to enjoy the best Thailand has to offer everywhere.

The Renegade Gardner

• Like 1

I find this a particularly interesting question. I have been a quiet observer of this forum for at least 5 years and must tell all that I have found some excellent information at Thai Visa from time to time. But let’s stay on subject;

I have studied Tibetan Buddhism (Mahayana) for over 40 years. Once I reached this side of our planet I tried without success to get a Visa to explore Tibet. As an alternative I began researching other countries that are primarily Buddhist cultures. Countries like Nepal, Bhutan & the research showed that Thailand is 95% Buddhist. In the late summer 2005 I chose to take a trip to Thailand to explore the Temples, engage the Monks in conversation and observe the people. I was delighted and awed by the Temples and found the Thai people to warm hearted, intelligent and familiar with westerners. (There is good and bad in that)

My trip inspired much more research and studies. Subsequent trips included meeting with attorneys, accountants and business owners. Within a year I could see that not could I enjoy life as a resident of Thailand I could enjoy retirement on a modest annual income. Of course there are a number of tax benefits afforded to Americans living abroad. The combination of affordability, great people, a lovely climate in Northern Thailand and the potential to explore temples and Buddhist history for decades to come made the choice easy.

During the course of my studies I met and married a lovely Thai woman, not from the bar & night world of the resort areas but rather a hardworking, very ethical lady with her roots in Theravada Buddhism and farming.

After 6 years I am even more convinced that living in Thailand is both a sound economic choice and a great place to live. We privileged to have the resources to go to the beach for bit every year or so. Thus we get to enjoy the best Thailand has to offer everywhere.

The Renegade Gardner

Good post except for "During the course of my studies I met and married a lovely Thai woman, not from the bar & night world of the resort areas but rather a hardworking, very ethical lady with her roots in Theravada Buddhism and farming."

• Like 2

The Renegade Gardner

Good post except for "During the course of my studies I met and married a lovely Thai woman, not from the bar & night world of the resort areas but rather a hardworking, very ethical lady with her roots in Theravada Buddhism and farming."

Why what's wrong with that part?

• Like 1

The Renegade Gardner

Gautama Buddha welcomed prostitutes as disciples and Buddhist legends tell of prostitutes whose enlightened compassion shamed monks and other high status men. Thravada Buddhism has tolerated prostitution at least since the 1400's.

Prostitution purely for helping others can be a source of karmic merit.

Encyclopedia of Prostitution and Sex Work - Volume 1

The Renegade Gardner

Gautama Buddha welcomed prostitutes as disciples and Buddhist legends tell of prostitutes whose enlightened compassion shamed monks and other high status men. Thravada Buddhism has tolerated prostitution at least since the 1400's.

Right. Right-action, right-intent etc.

While I commend you for pointing out that there's nothing wrong with sex work, nor marrying a sex worker if one is open to that, in my experience I haven't found devout Buddhists to be particularly sex-positive.

My understanding is that most Buddhist dogmas do frown upon sex purely for pleasure, especially when not in "moderation" both in frequency and number of partners. In practice most conservative Buddhists seem to have the same kind of attitudes toward sex as fundamentalists of the theist religions.

However it is true that generally speaking Buddhists and their cultures do take a more tolerant live-and-let-live attitude toward "sin" in general, as it's the universe that will bring the consequences of your actions to bear as part of the natural cycle of life.

• Like 1

The Renegade Gardner

I still wouldn't marry a bargirl, man! smile.png

Edited by Chads

I still wouldn't marry a bargirl, man! smile.png

I doubt you came to Thailand to study Buddhism. If one were trying to emulate or follow the teachings of the Buddha he would not need to discuss the previous employment of his spouse with strangers; I hope.

Think about it for a second. How secure is a man that he needs to tell total strangers that his wife was not a prostitute. One would hope by contemplation and study that one would have a bit more serenity.

I doubt you came to Thailand to study Buddhism. If one were trying to emulate or follow the teachings of the Buddha he would not need to discuss the previous employment of his spouse with strangers; I hope.

Think about it for a second. How secure is a man that he needs to tell total strangers that his wife was not a prostitute. One would hope by contemplation and study that one would have a bit more serenity.

Rather than being insecure, maybe he feels good/proud telling people his wife was not a prostitute? Nothing wrong with that.

I don't want to get into a discussion on how "Buddhist" that is. But I do know that I would never marry a bargirl from any country. If any of you have, and feel that it's good for you, then good for you :)

Rather than being insecure, maybe he feels good/proud telling people his wife was not a prostitute? Nothing wrong with that.

I don't want to get into a discussion on how "Buddhist" that is. But I do know that I would never marry a bargirl from any country. If any of you have, and feel that it's good for you, then good for you smile.png

Do you tell people you don't know that your wife is not a prostitute? My God man. I have been married four times that I remember and I never ever told anyone that.

Is telling people that your wife is not a prostitute normal among people you know? Has anyone you have ever known told you that his wife was not a prostitute?

I don't want to get into a discussion on how "Buddhist" that is. But I do know that I would never marry a bargirl from any country. If any of you have, and feel that it's good for you, then good for you smile.png

Do you tell people you don't know that your wife is not a prostitute? My God man. I have been married four times that I remember and I never ever told anyone that.

Is telling people that your wife is not a prostitute normal among people you know? Has anyone you have ever known told you that his wife was not a prostitute?

I guess he wanted to clarify since this is a forum for expats in Thailand, and based on the kinds of posts one can come across, assumptions may be made. I didn't mean he'd say that to people in person. He's saying that in the context of this forum.

I guess he wanted to clarify since this is a forum for expats in Thailand, and based on the kinds of posts one can come across, assumptions may be made. I didn't mean he'd say that to people in person. He's saying that in the context of this forum.

Does anyone assume my wife is a prostitute?

SC

I assume that many of our wives have at some time been much closer to some people's definition of the term than we may know.

How's that for a qualified weasel phrase? 8-)

Many people consider "gold-diggers" to be almost as bad as say an upscale call girl, or someone willing to be a rich man's "kept woman" on the side.

My own mother may very well fall somewhere along that scale.

Better IMO to just let each couple choose each other on whatever basis they prefer, and to just lay off the judgement calls altogether.

Short answer - makes no difference to me as long as you're happy I'm happy, we makes our beds and then we's gots to lie in em.

• Like 1

I always have been wondering why so many Europeans, Americans and Canadians want to live in Thailand, I mean, they must to learn a very difficult language, learn a totally different culture, in a very distant country

Yep, I'm here for the language and culture. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

It's the girls.

Of course it is, but it's not just the girls, if my dick fell off tomorrow I still would never want to live back home no matter how "clean" the food or 100% the infrastructure.

It's bloody BORING, the so-called "culture" is totally STIFLING, all so either incredibly white-bread homogenous or flat-out dangerous.

And that's how I feel about big-city life where I feel comfortable, small-town living in the south or out west? forget it. . .

But that's just me YMMV

If I had to choose one single issue to decide which country to live in, it would definitely be the girls. So long as I still have hormones in my body, it's a pleasure everyday just looking, never mind doing.

Somehow, I have to wonder if the guys that claim not to be attracted by Thai women have any hormones present, LOL.

I assume that many of our wives have at some time been much closer to some people's definition of the term than we may know.

How's that for a qualified weasel phrase? 8-)

Many people consider "gold-diggers" to be almost as bad as say an upscale call girl, or someone willing to be a rich man's "kept woman" on the side.

My own mother may very well fall somewhere along that scale.

Better IMO to just let each couple choose each other on whatever basis they prefer, and to just lay off the judgement calls altogether.

Short answer - makes no difference to me as long as you're happy I'm happy, we makes our beds and then we's gots to lie in em.

<Many people consider "gold-diggers" to be almost as bad as say an upscale call girl>

IMO worse than than the lowest bargirl. At least a bargirl is honest about what she wants.

• Like 2

It's the girls.

But that's just me YMMV

If I had to choose one single issue to decide which country to live in, it would definitely be the girls. So long as I still have hormones in my body, it's a pleasure everyday just looking, never mind doing.

Somehow, I have to wonder if the guys that claim not to be attracted by Thai women have any hormones present, LOL.

Maybe he just generally prefers other kinds of girls more than Thai girls. I feel that way too. Just cause some people don't like mint ice cream doesn't mean they don't have any taste buds :)

SC

I don't think people assume your wife is a prostitute. But if you'd wanted to clarify that in forum for expats in Thailand, I'd understand why.

Edited by Chads

SC

I don't think people assume your wife is a prostitute. But if you'd wanted to clarify that in forum for expats in Thailand, I'd understand why.

Do you think a person who had studied Mahayana Buddhism for over 40 years would feel the same way?

i can understand that the poster you refer to does not want to beatdeadhorse.gif and mention

"wife thai-chinese, has a Ph.D. in quantum physics, father-in-law general, mother-in-law CEO of multinational company" wink.png

• Like 1

i can understand that the poster you refer to does not want to beatdeadhorse.gif and mention

"wife thai-chinese, has a Ph.D. in quantum physics, father-in-law general, mother-in-law CEO of multinational company" wink.png

The expression "flogging a dead horse" has nothing to do with beating sleeping dogs, and refers to the difficulty of selling livestock that is dead or diseased. Experience has shown its easier to raffle than to sell by contract.

(check the "By special request" thread - can't make the link on this PC

SC

SC

Do you think a person who had studied Mahayana Buddhism for over 40 years would feel the same way?

You do know that there is a thread for such speculation, don't you?

(check the "Speculative thread")