Why So Many Europeans, Americans And Canadians Want To Live In Thailand?

Om85

I am impressed with what the forum can read into post. A bunch of creative rascals I venture.

I would say Chads response(s) to the post are most accurate.

I for one am glad to see you back. Tell me how a person can study Buddhism for 40 years and feel the necessity to explain his personal and moral life to people on an INTERNET forum? Don't they teach you not to be worried about stuff like that?

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had to choose one single issue to decide which country to live in, it would definitely be the girls. So long as I still have hormones in my body, it's a pleasure everyday just looking, never mind doing.

You obviously havnt been to Cambodia and tried out Ancher beer yet

I doubt you came to Thailand to study Buddhism. If one were trying to emulate or follow the teachings of the Buddha he would not need to discuss the previous employment of his spouse with strangers; I hope.

Think about it for a second. How secure is a man that he needs to tell total strangers that his wife was not a prostitute. One would hope by contemplation and study that one would have a bit more serenity.

i can understand that the poster you refer to does not want to beatdeadhorse.gif and mention

"wife thai-chinese, has a Ph.D. in quantum physics, father-in-law general, mother-in-law CEO of multinational company" wink.png

The expression "flogging a dead horse" has nothing to do with beating sleeping dogs, and refers to the difficulty of selling livestock that is dead or diseased. Experience has shown its easier to raffle than to sell by contract.

(check the "By special request" thread - can't make the link on this PC

SC

Yes, but if nothing of value was exchanged or promised, it's not a contract. whistling.gif

Edited by Morakot

Like you, it is the woman. My Thai wife and her family are the best thing that ever happened to me

I am 61, retired police/military retired.

Traveled to 17 countries.

When I was 18,19, and 20 years old I was serving in Vietnam.

I wanted to go back to Vietnam. I never did anything I feel ashamed of, but I feel great shame my country abadoned the South Vietnamese. I exchanged many emails with Vietnamese woman, when I said I was a Vietnam vet, some would ask "How many Vietnamese did you kill?'. None. They sure tried to kill me on occasion. I decided I did not want to put up with that and did not want to be in a communist country. I did not want to be thought of as "An American Impearlist baby killer".

But Southeast Asia was calling me and I went to Thailand and met the most wonerful woman.

Yes, somethings are difficult here. Language, Visa's, work rules.

But my woman and family treat me so darn good. Most Tais are exceptionally nice, and it is beautiful. I meet so many people from so many countries, it is so rich in diversity and culture here.

I have been to Mexico, Puerto Rico,Virgin Islands, Panama, did 500 miles on the Amazon, Santeram to Manous, also did Belem, Sal Palo and Curritibo.

Yes, you are right, Latino woman are just as beautiful as Asian.

Should my life fall apart here I would go to a Latin country. Hell, I could live much more cheaply in many places in America than on Phuket.

But then I would have to put up with American bitches again. They have thrown their femininety along with their babies in the shit hole.

I like strong, intelligent, educated women that still want to be a lady partnered to a masculine man.

Jon

are you paying for poon?

just for starters

potatoes 65-75 cents a pound

USDA Choice Top Round beef (who the hell even buys that?) maximum $5/lb

Sugar 10lb $5.5

1 Dozen Eggs $1

Jasmine Rice Imported from Thailand 68 cents a pound

5lb flour $1.75

i don't pay that much attention to food prices. i just pulled these prices off walmart. i could tell just looking at the list that it was BS.

the whole Thailand cost vs USA cost has been done to death. Try the search function.

• Like 1

I was born in the UK and raised in Canada, so in a way my parents adventure prompted me to explore a happy life. There are only three country's I would ever live in - Thailand, Canada & the UK in that order so I'm here for selfish reasons I want to be happy. My pathetic attempts at learning the language is only my fault, culture I get and most of all respect.

I also believe in the "old days" travel was a major expense, nowadays the world is smaller and you can fly almost anywhere for $1500 so it's affordable - location doesn't matter happiness does.

Well then you would know that the UK is Extremely crowded as is Thailand with overpopulation and that is an easy obstacle to overcome for these expats living in heavily congested areas. For Americans and Canadians we live in vast lush forests of open spaces and clean air. Its a much deadlier burden to overcome for us in North America to make the transition to Thailand. I think Australians would also agree!

Well then you would know that the UK is Extremely crowded as is Thailand with overpopulation and that is an easy obstacle to overcome for these expats living in heavily congested areas. For Americans and Canadians we live in vast lush forests of open spaces and clean air. Its a much deadlier burden to overcome for us in North America to make the transition to Thailand. I think Australians would also agree!

Very very small percentages of the populations of all three countries actually even visit such landscapes let alone live there.

Personally I've lived in the bush, and you can have it, give me a heavily congested manswarm any day.

Admittedly a different kind of greenery and birds tweeting outside but if space around you is what you want we've got it here in spades. If you like open space around you, plonking yourself down in a modest residence out in Nakon Nowhere can cost you less all up than you'd spend in a year's average rent back home.

If you actually find it a deadly burden then why come here at all?

• Like 1

I was born in the UK and raised in Canada, so in a way my parents adventure prompted me to explore a happy life. There are only three country's I would ever live in - Thailand, Canada & the UK in that order so I'm here for selfish reasons I want to be happy. My pathetic attempts at learning the language is only my fault, culture I get and most of all respect.

I also believe in the "old days" travel was a major expense, nowadays the world is smaller and you can fly almost anywhere for $1500 so it's affordable - location doesn't matter happiness does.

Well, I'm an Aussie and wouldn't live anywhere aside from tier one cities, or tier two cities if I had to in Australia. Ask any Aussie city-dweller (and that's about 95% of the population) id they'd move to these lush and open spaces . . . umm . . . NO.

To say that Americans and Canadians live in vast lush forests of open spaces is also simply ridiculous . . clean air? I've lived and worked in a total of five American cities over the years . . . they are cities with lots of people and zero lush forests nor open spaces . . . clean air?

The UK (though I'd rather have my left testicle cut off with a blunt fruit knife than live there) has large swathes of beautiful countryside - lush and open . . . clean air. (And heaps of rain)

France, Germany, Thailand, Malaysia, Italy etc . . . the same.

As to why so 'many' want to come and live in Thailand . . . I think you'll find the number is actually tiny, very tiny, compared to the population

Edited by Sing_Sling

Well, I'm an Aussie and wouldn't live anywhere aside from tier one cities, or tier two cities if I had to in Australia. Ask any Aussie city-dweller (and that's about 95% of the population) id they'd move to these lush and open spaces . . . umm . . . NO.

To say that Americans and Canadians live in vast lush forests of open spaces is also simply ridiculous . . clean air? I've lived and worked in a total of five American cities over the years . . . they are cities with lots of people and zero lush forests nor open spaces . . . clean air?

The UK (though I'd rather have my left testicle cut off with a blunt fruit knife than live there) has large swathes of beautiful countryside - lush and open . . . clean air. (And heaps of rain)

France, Germany, Thailand, Malaysia, Italy etc . . . the same.

As to why so 'many' want to come and live in Thailand . . . I think you'll find the number is actually tiny, very tiny, compared to the population

Sing sing you are a bit of a nut nut. The US has more open spaces than the UK, France, Germany and Thailand combined. 8.5 percent of the US is national forest. 52 million acres are national parks and also a total of 787 National Marine Protected Areas, covering an additional 627,830 km (242,410 sq mi), or 67 percent of the total marine area of the United States.

Sing sing you are a bit of a nut nut. The US has more open spaces than the UK, France, Germany and Thailand combined. 8.5 percent of the US is national forest. 52 million acres are national parks and also a total of 787 National Marine Protected Areas, covering an additional 627,830 km (242,410 sq mi), or 67 percent of the total marine area of the United States.

Sure, but what's your point? It's not a significant factor of comparison for most, only a tiny proportion of the populations of those countries actually live out near wilderness, most people never ever truly experience nature in their lifetime, and many have no desire to do so in fact wouldn't do it if you paid them.

And of course for those few to whom such statistics are important and don't like the Thai style of countryside, they are most welcome to refrain from moving here.

What is to me much more relevant is the idea of government effectively regulating land use in and near populated areas so that the lived-in landscape remains beautiful. To me the US does that about as well as Thailand, IOW hardly at all well.

The beauty of so many European communities is not an accident, and much more accessible to the ordinary citizen.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

Sure, but what's your point? It's not a significant factor of comparison for most, only a tiny proportion of the populations of those countries actually live out near wilderness, most people never ever truly experience nature in their lifetime, and many have no desire to do so in fact wouldn't do it if you paid them.

And of course for those few to whom such statistics are important and don't like the Thai style of countryside, they are most welcome to refrain from moving here.

What is to me much more relevant is the idea of government effectively regulating land use in and near populated areas so that the lived-in landscape remains beautiful. To me the US does that about as well as Thailand, IOW hardly at all well.

The beauty of so many European communities is not an accident, and much more accessible to the ordinary citizen.

Read, "Theodore Roosevelt and the National Park System." http://www.nps.gov/history/history/hisnps/npshistory/teddy.htm

Hunting is a major industry and sport in the US and it is not in Europe or the UK. The reason is the access to major wildlife areas in the US is far greater in the USA. Nearly 38 percent of Americans took part in wildlife-related recreation last year. They spent $145 billion on gear, trips and other purchases, such as licenses and tags. In 2011, 13.7 million people, or 6 percent of the population 16 years old or older, went hunting, the department said. This does not happen in Europe or the UK because there are not enough land set aside for that purpose. http://news.yahoo.com/numbers-u-hunters-anglers-reversing-decline-183744647.html

just for starters

Sugar 10lb $5.5

1 Dozen Eggs $1

5lb flour $1.75

i don't pay that much attention to food prices. i just pulled these prices off walmart. i could tell just looking at the list that it was BS.

the whole Thailand cost vs USA cost has been done to death. Try the search function.

in your list everything except the eggs, sugar and the rice are western products, and the price of sugar and rice fluctuate a lot.

nobody can seriously expect US prime beef, flour and potatoes to be cheap in Thailand.

comparing prices is not too easy, and can only rarely be done by just taking two identical products, as it is possible for the eggs (which size are the eggs?).

things that are comparable are:

- a tasty meal at a food place (in Thailand this can be Kao Man Gai, in the US ???)

- electric Kwh

- a 5 Km taxi trip

- a bottle of water in the 7-11

just for starters

Sugar 10lb $5.5

1 Dozen Eggs $1

5lb flour $1.75

You didn't respond to the prices of items that Sunbelt posted nor did you list the prices that Sunbelt posted. Sunbelt posted prices in the US and Thailand for 10 commodities. Your post is BS unless you do the same.

this is almost total BS. sorry. obviously the clowns on sunbelt want as many people as possible to move to Thailand.

Well it is just something I saw but,

Leaving that list aside I will say this.

My wife & I keep detailed records of expenditures.

We moved to Thailand full time about 8 months ago & so far

the difference compared to the USA is ridiculous.

The main things of course as I said Utilities etc.

But getting back to food. We average about 1/3rd to 1/2

the cost here. We eat out almost all meals except a light breakfast

That is a big difference from the US where we rarely ate out due to costs.

My wife works here same as in the US but here we find it a wash to just eat out

in our case as the price is very comparable without having to do clean-up.

But still one third to half of what we spent in the US on comparable foods. Because we basically also

ate Thai cooking in the US except my wife cooked it :)

So this is just "our" experience & maybe yours may vary but for us

Thailand has been considerably less cost wise.

Hunting is a major industry and sport in the US and it is not in Europe or the UK.

Again, don't see what relevance this has to do with the topic.

And personally, I don't consider shooting animals a "sport", would much rather see guns used on people.

Hunting is a major industry and sport in the US and it is not in Europe or the UK.

And personally, I don't consider shooting animals a "sport", would much rather see guns used on people.

You wrote, "What is to me much more relevant is the idea of government effectively regulating land use in and near populated areas so that the lived-in landscape remains beautiful. To me the US does that about as well as Thailand, IOW hardly at all well." I wrote that a large percent of land in the US far more than the UK or Europe is managed by the US government effectively for recreation. Take for example hunting a pastime which 6% of Americans engage in yearly.

You wrote, "The beauty of so many European communities is not an accident, and much more accessible to the ordinary citizen." I wrote " Nearly 38 percent of Americans took part in wildlife-related recreation last year. They spent $145 billion on gear, trips and other purchases, such as licenses and tags."

If you would stop cutting and editing my short posts you could answer your own questions easily.

The US has more open spaces than the UK, France, Germany and Thailand combined. 8.5 percent of the US is national forest. 52 million acres are national parks and also a total of 787 National Marine Protected Areas, covering an additional 627,830 km (242,410 sq mi), or 67 percent of the total marine area of the United States.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

this is almost total BS. sorry. obviously the clowns on sunbelt want as many people as possible to move to Thailand.

But still one third to half of what we spent in the US on comparable foods. Because we basically also

ate Thai cooking in the US except my wife cooked it smile.png

I agree that Thailand is definitely cheaper overall unless you want your child to get an education in English. Then it becomes more complicated. Anything labor intensive in the USA will be significantly more expensive. My generally feeling about food though is that it is about equal, eating out is more expensive in the USA. But I also think people tend to overstate how cheap Thailand is. You have to lead a very Thai life style to get the real value and that means sacrifices, which may be harder or easier for each person.

just for starters

Sugar 10lb $5.5

1 Dozen Eggs $1

5lb flour $1.75

You didn't respond to the prices of items that Sunbelt posted nor did you list the prices that Sunbelt posted. Sunbelt posted prices in the US and Thailand for 10 commodities. Your post is BS unless you do the same.

are you blind? i listed prices of goods that sunbelt also listed.

Edited by farang000999

ate Thai cooking in the US except my wife cooked it smile.png

I agree that Thailand is definitely cheaper overall unless you want your child to get an education in English. Then it becomes more complicated. Anything labor intensive in the USA will be significantly more expensive. My generally feeling about food though is that it is about equal, eating out is more expensive in the USA. But I also think people tend to overstate how cheap Thailand is. You have to lead a very Thai life style to get the real value and that means sacrifices, which may be harder or easier for each person.

just for starters

Sugar 10lb $5.5

1 Dozen Eggs $1

5lb flour $1.75

are you blind? i listed prices of goods that sunbelt also listed.

How many did you list? Did you post the Thai items and prices? Did you list them in like quantities and currency? Who you calling blind?

Edited by chiangmaikelly

You wrote, "What is to me much more relevant is the idea of government effectively regulating land use in and near populated areas so that the lived-in landscape remains beautiful. To me the US does that about as well as Thailand, IOW hardly at all well." I wrote that a large percent of land in the US far more than the UK or Europe is managed by the US government effectively for recreation. Take for example hunting a pastime which 6% of Americans engage in yearly.

You wrote, "The beauty of so many European communities is not an accident, and much more accessible to the ordinary citizen." I wrote " Nearly 38 percent of Americans took part in wildlife-related recreation last year. They spent $145 billion on gear, trips and other purchases, such as licenses and tags."

If you would stop cutting and editing my short posts you could answer your own questions easily.

The US has more open spaces than the UK, France, Germany and Thailand combined. 8.5 percent of the US is national forest. 52 million acres are national parks and also a total of 787 National Marine Protected Areas, covering an additional 627,830 km (242,410 sq mi), or 67 percent of the total marine area of the United States.

OK, I'll leave the wall of text intact.

In short I still am no closer to understanding why you think these statistics have anything to do with the topic at hand, which I understand to be "out of the (actually quite small) group of foreigners resident in Thailand, what is their motivation for doing so?"

The set of Americans who actually consider "wildlife-related recreation" to be important would probably 99.99% never dream of visiting any Asian country, much less expatriating themselves to Thailand.

It seems clear that by far the answer to the OP is an entirely different sort of wild life.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

But I also think people tend to overstate how cheap Thailand is. You have to lead a very Thai life style to get the real value and that means sacrifices, which may be harder or easier for each person.

To me living a "Thai lifestyle" - if that's what you mean by a greatly reduced use of air conditioning, potatoes and beef - hasn't meant any kind of sacrifice but very much an improvement.

I do miss being able to get a cheap gas-powered fridge though. . .

• Like 1

florescent lighting, thai quality mattress, super thin walls, super low water pressure, if there is a fire: you die.

that is what comes to my mind when people describe their "amazingly cheap" Thailand apartment.

Well my 5-storey house has none of those problems but is still amazingly cheap, wouldn't even get a single closet-sized room worse than your worst nightmare for the same rent back home, plus it would be in a life-threateningly dangerous neighborhood.

But I'm sure in every way but sex you'd consider my life pitiful, horses for courses, just pointing out that many people have come to consider the most superficial things to be "minimum standard" or even "necessities". I find it comforting to realize that as globalization continues to make the different areas of the planet more and more equalized, many in the earlier-developed nations will be very uncomfortable adjusting to their increasingly lower standards of living, while I'm very much ahead of the curve and already well adapted.

PS I use those dense foam mattresses found at quality massage places, much better sleep and comfort than I've ever had on the multi-thousand dollar western mattresses, under $100 for queen size, and some are now over ten years old and still going strong. And yes they are thin, but not IMO a sacrifice at all.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

florescent lighting, thai quality mattress, super thin walls, super low water pressure, if there is a fire: you die.

that is what comes to my mind when people describe their "amazingly cheap" Thailand apartment.

Well my 5-storey house has none of those problems but is still amazingly cheap, wouldn't even get a single closet-sized room worse than your worst nightmare for the same rent back home, plus it would be in a life-threateningly dangerous neighborhood.

But I'm sure in every way but sex you'd consider my life pitiful, horses for courses, just pointing out that many people have come to consider the most superficial things to be "minimum standard" or even "necessities". I find it comforting to realize that as globalization continues to make the different areas of the planet more and more equalized, many in the earlier-developed nations will be very uncomfortable adjusting to their increasingly lower standards of living, while I'm very much ahead of the curve and already well adapted.

PS I use those dense foam mattresses found at quality massage places, much better sleep and comfort than I've ever had on the multi-thousand dollar western mattresses, under $100 for queen size, and some are now over ten years old and still going strong. And yes they are thin, but not IMO a sacrifice at all.

<many in the earlier-developed nations will be very uncomfortable adjusting to their increasingly lower standards of living>

That is indeed the conundrum facing the so called first world. If the increasing billions in the "third" world are to raise their standard of living to anywhere near that of the western nations it will use up all the world's resources in a generation.

So either all have a very lowered living standard, or there will undoubtedly be world conflict over dwindling resources.

Of course that could be avoided by massive investment in sustainable resources, but there is little evidence of that at present. Far easier to throw it away when out of fashion and buy the newer shinier model. Also, everything I buy now seems to be unrepairable.

Like you, it is the woman. My Thai wife and her family are the best thing that ever happened to me

I am 61, retired police/military retired.

Traveled to 17 countries.

When I was 18,19, and 20 years old I was serving in Vietnam.

I wanted to go back to Vietnam. I never did anything I feel ashamed of, but I feel great shame my country abadoned the South Vietnamese. I exchanged many emails with Vietnamese woman, when I said I was a Vietnam vet, some would ask "How many Vietnamese did you kill?'. None. They sure tried to kill me on occasion. I decided I did not want to put up with that and did not want to be in a communist country. I did not want to be thought of as "An American Impearlist baby killer".

But Southeast Asia was calling me and I went to Thailand and met the most wonerful woman.

Yes, somethings are difficult here. Language, Visa's, work rules.

But my woman and family treat me so darn good. Most Tais are exceptionally nice, and it is beautiful. I meet so many people from so many countries, it is so rich in diversity and culture here.

I have been to Mexico, Puerto Rico,Virgin Islands, Panama, did 500 miles on the Amazon, Santeram to Manous, also did Belem, Sal Palo and Curritibo.

Yes, you are right, Latino woman are just as beautiful as Asian.

Should my life fall apart here I would go to a Latin country. Hell, I could live much more cheaply in many places in America than on Phuket.

But then I would have to put up with American bitches again. They have thrown their femininety along with their babies in the shit hole.

I like strong, intelligent, educated women that still want to be a lady partnered to a masculine man.

Jon

are you paying for poon?

Most men do one way or another. Of course you may know some women who support their male partrners that contributed nothing but their genitals to the relationship, in which case I stand corrected.

I don't know why that isn't repeated more. For those who don't know small town US in the warmer climates in the cheaper states, but know only the big city, maybe they just don't get it. The US isn't nearly as expensive as other prominent Western countries, and small town US is a bargain too. If you live a high lifestyle in either country it will cost. But the US has many affordable places, and the retired have cheap health care insurance - something which could really become an issue in LOS. There are also safety nets for seniors 65 and older. But bluntly put, good safe clean food and consumer items are cheaper in the US. Housing isn't expensive in the less expensive states but the infrastructure is 100% first world.

It's the girls.

Of course it is, but it's not just the girls, if my dick fell off tomorrow I still would never want to live back home no matter how "clean" the food or 100% the infrastructure.

It's bloody BORING, the so-called "culture" is totally STIFLING, all so either incredibly white-bread homogenous or flat-out dangerous.

And that's how I feel about big-city life where I feel comfortable, small-town living in the south or out west? forget it. . .

But that's just me YMMV

If I had to choose one single issue to decide which country to live in, it would definitely be the girls. So long as I still have hormones in my body, it's a pleasure everyday just looking, never mind doing.

Somehow, I have to wonder if the guys that claim not to be attracted by Thai women have any hormones present, LOL.

Maybe he just generally prefers other kinds of girls more than Thai girls. I feel that way too. Just cause some people don't like mint ice cream doesn't mean they don't have any taste buds smile.png

Huh? I wasn't talking about interracting on any level with Thai women, other than looking at them. I like looking at attractive women from any culture/ country although I have zero desire to form a romantic relationship with western women. It's just that there are far more attractive feminine women in Thailand than I ever saw in a western country.

I presume most men can recognise a beautiful woman from any country as being attractive.

Post modified to allow posting.

Edited by thaibeachlovers